HAIFer's First Words

Highway6

I recently saw someone mention that HAIF was intimidating and that it took awhile to make the transition from lurker to poster.

While I can't recall how long my lurking stage was, I thought it might be interesting to have a thread of everyone's First Post.... especially to see some of our grizzled veterans and if time and HAIF has changed their demeanor.

You can go to advanced search.. Search by Username. Be sure to check "Ascending Order" and " Show Results by posts".

Here are some photos I snapped while flying along the I-10 Corridor in a Cessna.

I know these aren't the best photos.. but it is a perspective of the city not everyone gets to see.. so Enjoy.

Hopefully, next time I go up, I'll have a newer camera and clearer skies. ........

I recently saw someone mention that HAIF was intimidating and that it took awhile to make the transition from lurker to poster.

While I can't recall how long my lurking stage was, I thought it might be interesting to have a thread of everyone's First Post.... especially to see some of our grizzled veterans and if time and HAIF has changed their demeanor.

You can go to advanced search.. Search by Username. Be sure to check "Ascending Order" and " Show Results by posts".

April 19th, 2005 @ midnight - My next post wasn't until December 5th, 2006

That picture was definitely next to that banana. Right off of I-45 on the right side if you're going southbound into downtown. Yep, I always wondered where that thing went.

I don't really remember being a lurker. I hopped right in, which I'm sure many posters regret, haha. It takes a long time to figure out what has and hasn't already been discussed.

I personally cannot recall ever being a lurker. I immedately started asking questions related to our cities history & my own area where I grew up here. However, I soon couldnt help but notice the same groups bickering & really going extremely overboard with the personal attacks and insults. It became quite boring really, like seeing two old ladies fighting over & over. In many cases, many really good beginners & intelligent conversationists joined in but becoming dis-enchanted and eventually leaving because of the same trolls attacking them. Sadly, many were very attractive females. :P:)

Here it is.

I'd often drive with my family on vacations to Houston, and one thing I fondly remember...besides the many Service Merchandises (Merchandisi?), there was the Foley's building. Sadly, when Federated decided to buy it out, the office building closed and is no longer visible. The Foley's sign is gone, making it just another faceless skyscraper. Anyone remember it/have a picture?

I never got my request answered, but somewhere else I think I got a picture of where I thought it was.

I said that...I was working 40+ hr weeks at a deadline driven job & going to school. Used to read HAIF on my lunch break. I have much more time now to devote to backing up my statements with proof. Sometimes I think I'm writing one giant research paper, and reading others, as well. My first post was under "Glenbrook Valley & flooding". I had a question about a house that sits in a gully.

TJones

Friday, September 16th, 2005 @ 11:51am

Forget the buildings, LOOK AT ALL THOSE WONDERFUL CARS ! ! ! OMG !

Those are nice pictures though. Sakowitz II ,by the way, wasn't much of an architectual marvel, looked like a strip center in itself, or like a converted office building of the 70's.The store wasn't a stand alone, it was in a so called "Mall", with a Kay-Bee toy store and a chain bookstore, can't remember which brand, I want to say a Walden's books. Plain as plain can be, very ugly building. I remember eating at the Sambo's (now Denny's) across the street, then my Dad and I would venture over there to browse around. Circa 1979, 1980. The whole mall closed about a year or two after it opened.

This is my very first post. From the Sakowitz thread. :D

Swimming in that lake is bad. Please let's stop it at that and let's not get personal. I live in surburbia Manvel and have visited the park twice. We dined downtown on one of those visits. My wife can't have enough of the park. By the way we lived in SW part for 3 years and never visited DT. Great to have something to cheer downtown apart from the Rockets.

This is in reply to MidtownCoog about swimming in the murky lake at Discovery Green. I will be checking on the very early threads to see if anyone here has underwent metamorphosis.

I wasn't a lurker, i would be interested in a particular building in Houston, look it up and sometimes HAIF would

pop up. I found it confusing at first. I would be looking for the most recent post but i would see that the that might be from years back. It took me a while to figure out that it went from oldest to newest in numerical order starting from 1.

I would then go to the HAIF home page and find all these sub topics and countless threads and immediately signed up.

I didn't feel like i need an introduction into HAIF i just dived in. And im younger than 20 years,and i didnt find a reason to feel intimidated by some users.

Archived