FS: 1984-Space Shuttle, 9-Trillion Miles, No Engine

editor

I would love to see the City buy it. Add a architecturally significant, predominantly glass pavilion around it. Make it the centerpiece, maybe even a small musuem, for a new Urban park.. say the Midtown superblock.. or existing park... Could you imagine seeing the shuttle off Memorial.. or passing by on 45 and seeing it down in Sam Houston Park.

The Discovery is one of the 3 Nasa is selling... i wonder what green space that could look good in?

http://www.click2houston.com/news/18306516/detail.html

So... what would you do with a used space shuttle?

I swear ... astronauts must have nerves of steels. Those things are almost held together with glue at this point.

I think they should bring them to Houston and place them at the JSP. Might increase tourism for Houston and NASA.

Anybody got the VIN on this one? I want to run a Carfax on it before I hand over money, seeing that's in been in Florida, it may have very well been flooded during a hurricane if they left it parked outside, and may now have a salvage title. Also, any recommendation for a good Space Shuttle mechanic in the area? I want a PPI done also.

I would love to see the City buy it.

That's a great idea. Maybe put it in Tranquility Park downtown. I wonder if it would fit?

Add a architecturally significant, predominantly glass pavilion around it. Make it the centerpiece, maybe even a small musuem, for a new Urban park.. say the Midtown superblock.. or existing park... Could you imagine seeing the shuttle off Memorial.. or passing by on 45 and seeing it down in Sam Houston Park.

That's an even better idea. Or maybe place it somewhere along Buffalo Bayou so that the de-facto skyline photograph of Houston becomes a big honkin' space shuttle with the skyline behind it. Houston would never be mistaken for Dallas by outsiders again!

How big is a space shuttle... say... compared to Heritage Plaza?

Answered my own question -- 122 feet long, 78 feet wide according to Wikipedia.

122 feet is pretty small. You could put it pretty much anywhere.

Sunset at Eleanor Tinsley Park:

Nice image of what could be. Onlyproblem is the article said that NASA stipulated that the buyer must keep it indoors, hence the need to make it part of a bigger installation, like a pavillion. Still, it would be no less dramatic in your shot with a modern pavillion included.

Nice image of what could be. Onlyproblem is the article said that NASA stipulated that the buyer must keep it indoors, hence the need to make it part of a bigger installation, like a pavillion. Still, it would be no less dramatic in your shot with a modern pavillion included.

Yeah, some kind of glass enclosure world work.

Or you could just tell NASA that you're going to keep it inside, and then don't. What are they going to do? Repossess it? If it's bought and paid for you can do whatever you want with it.

Or you could just tell NASA that you're going to keep it inside, and then don't. What are they going to do? Repossess it? If it's bought and paid for you can do whatever you want with it.

Well.. it would be near the skatepark... it would look really bad if it kept getting tagged. ... so maybe indoors is better.

Not if you're on a budget. The Saturn V rocket, at JSC, was enclosed in a tin shed, basically:

saturnV.jpg

Nice. It hurts to look (at the building).

They are now painting a silhouette of the rocket on the outside of the building. Looks kinda third grade. Maybe it

This was on the news just a few days ago. Seems some guy named Art Arfons was going to buy the thing, but NASA balked on the deal when it was revealed Arfons was planning to paint the shuttle green for some ungodly reason.

Another deal breaker was the fact that Arfons died over a year ago!

That's a great idea. Maybe put it in Tranquility Park downtown. I wonder if it would fit?

That's an even better idea. Or maybe place it somewhere along Buffalo Bayou so that the de-facto skyline photograph of Houston becomes a big honkin' space shuttle with the skyline behind it. Houston would never be mistaken for Dallas by outsiders again!

How big is a space shuttle... say... compared to Heritage Plaza?

Answered my own question -- 122 feet long, 78 feet wide according to Wikipedia.

Tranquility Park would be a fitting place for it. Aren't the water towers there supposed to be symbols of the rockets for manned missions..?

And not really understanding why they are SELLING it ... weren't tax dollars used to pay for it many times over any how?

Great idea actually. A rocket museum would be a perfect use for the Astrodome.

It would be really cool if somehow they could make the white panels on the top of the Dome light up like with LED fire or something. Kinda like those panels in that Michael Jackson Billy Jean video.

• The title was changed to FS: 1984-Space Shuttle, 9-Trillion Miles, No Engine

Archived