Snow in Houston today?

editor

you know, a lot of people felt christmas has been coming waay to quick this year, with Ike taking a lot of peoples time and patience to thanksgiving being late this year.

this snow just, atleast for me, makes me feel like christmas is actually almost here.

besides the cold, a lot of Houstonians need this. to keep spirits high.

im loving every bit of it ^_^

So I guess this is going to kill everything and we're going to have a brown winter now instead of a green one. Yuck!

The trachycarpus fortunei (aka Chinese Windmill Palm Tree) in your first photo will actually enjoy this snow much more than the typical summer heat you find in Texas. It's native to areas that get decent snow falls. Some subtropical plants may defoliate, but this snow will not be as hard on many plants as a 35/36F frost would be, because the temps on the leaves will go down into the 20s in that sort of event. Most years experience a freeze in Houston (all years in the north 'burbs) so the same plants that brown out then would be the culprits after this event.

Jason

:banging fists: Melt! Melt! Melt! Melt!

Did a snowman kill your pa?

Ha ha!

The trachycarpus fortunei (aka Chinese Windmill Palm Tree) in your first photo will actually enjoy this snow much more than the typical summer heat you find in Texas. It's native to areas that get decent snow falls. Some subtropical plants may defoliate, but this snow will not be as hard on many plants as a 35/36F frost would be, because the temps on the leaves will go down into the 20s in that sort of event. Most years experience a freeze in Houston (all years in the north 'burbs) so the same plants that brown out then would be the culprits after this event.

Jason

I know, I just mean in general most everywhere you go it'll be limp brown ugliness. I went to Austin last late February and it was so brown and ugly that it made me appreciate the Houston winters so much, as I always have anyway. Now here it is only mid-December and look!

Sorry, I'm not being very pleasant.

There was so much snow on our avocado tree the poor thing was tilted way over like Charlie Brown's Christmas tree! :o

The view was fantastic from our 2nd floor and as we looked over at the convent it looked surreal. The fields were a bright white and you could see snow on all the roof tops.

Many cars this morning still had lots of snow on them. I was driving in from the Galleria area towards downtown and had to slow down big time especially on the elevated ramps. Couldnt wait to get home. It was kind of cool that the snow flurries were coming at me straight on while driving but sort of dangerous too.

Hope we have a White Christmas. :lol:

Archived