Luby's At Westheimer Rd. And Cinco Ranch Blvd.

cla

• 1 year later...

Just noticed this:

http://houston.bizjo...18&ana=e_du_pub

I am really wondering if Luby's is going to make it? They have lowered their prices lately, but it hasn't seemed to help.

Yes, I think it is an out-of-date concept, very bland food, as well as atmosphere... even the employees are blank / bland, poor customer service, and they're still over priced. Corporate needs to hire some thinkers, and image makers, but I think the stigma of the name is dead.

Yes, I think it is an out-of-date concept, very bland food, as well as atmosphere... even the employees are blank / bland, poor customer service, and they're still over priced. Corporate needs to hire some thinkers, and image makers, but I think the stigma of the name is dead.

Wonder what would happen if they could speed you through the line faster? I mean, that seems to always be the biggest hold up. I would like to be able to pick what I want and then just go sit down and have it at my table in 1-2 minutes. All that standing/waiting in lines is a pain.

Wonder what would happen if they could speed you through the line faster? I mean, that seems to always be the biggest hold up. I would like to be able to pick what I want and then just go sit down and have it at my table in 1-2 minutes. All that standing/waiting in lines is a pain.

They're probably speeding you through the line as fast as they can. But when you have things like people who can't decide what they want, larger orders and such, you'll have the hold up. Perhaps what they need to implement is a double line with the servers in the center and two lines on the outside. I saw something similar at a cafeteria in NC, though the second line was for to go orders.

They're probably speeding you through the line as fast as they can. But when you have things like people who can't decide what they want, larger orders and such, you'll have the hold up. Perhaps what they need to implement is a double line with the servers in the center and two lines on the outside. I saw something similar at a cafeteria in NC, though the second line was for to go orders.

Remember they used to have you pay at the exit. I am not sure what happened (maybe lots of people were skipping out on their tabs?).

Remember they used to have you pay at the exit. I am not sure what happened (maybe lots of people were skipping out on their tabs?).

I remember they started phasing that in about 10 years ago. The Piccadilly on W. Bellfort tried that a few months back, but they've reverted to the old way. I guess it was holding up the serving line?

I remember they started phasing that in about 10 years ago. The Piccadilly on W. Bellfort tried that a few months back, but they've reverted to the old way. I guess it was holding up the serving line?

Or the 'waiters' could handle the payments at the table near the end of meals.

Yeah... speed! Luby's is like being on a, "Night of the Living Dead" set. People get in those tray lines, and then can't decide what they want. Just stand there ...... and then get insulted if you ask if you can go around them. Then, my favorite is cutting in line! Yeah, you got the family in line, and then others arrive, and they just move past you, and cut in with the relatives like you are a lamp post. Then, Miss Picky shows up and starts asking what they season the food with, and how much of this, is on that, and which one they suggest, and then LAUGHS about not being able to make her mind up!!! You know the drill. The last time I was at luby's a guy had an epileptic siezure, fell on the floor in the tray line, and everyone was stepping over him, and just moving on! I had to ask the manager to call an ambulance, and pull the guy out of the way, so the customers didn't stomp him to death ... survival of the fittest??? What ho !!!

I concur (mostly). It's going to be hard to reposition the brand. They'd sacrifice many of their elderly customer base in doing so, and I don't think that the business model can be repositioned in such a way as that appeals to a younger generation (except for me) at a similar price point. Even if they can, it'd take some doing, and I just don't think that they can afford the Apple® marketeers.

I concur (mostly). It's going to be hard to reposition the brand. They'd sacrifice many of their elderly customer base in doing so, and I don't think that the business model can be repositioned in such a way as that appeals to a younger generation (except for me) at a similar price point. Even if they can, it'd take some doing, and I just don't think that they can afford the Apple® marketeers.

I agree, I don't think they can appeal to the younger generation at their price point. I will not pay what they are asking for cafeteria food. They charge more then places like Chili's where the food is made when you order it. Now if prices were lowered I think I would come back. I do like their new restaurant concept though (the one of 290 in Cypress).

Niche, you are right-on. I grew up eating at cafeterias such as Wyatt's, my all time favorite! I suppose the all-you-can-eat buffet has taken them out. I admit, I like the freedom of multiple choices, and one price fits all. But, I still long for the days when the old cafeteria was around.

Have you eaten at Cleburne's Cafeteria? Now that's my kind of food! A little pricey, and they only take cash - no credit cards, or checks. Man, talk about fresh good solid food! I eat there on special occassions when I really want to dine, instead of just eat food.

Niche, you are right-on. I grew up eating at cafeterias such as Wyatt's, my all time favorite! I suppose the all-you-can-eat buffet has taken them out. I admit, I like the freedom of multiple choices, and one price fits all. But, I still long for the days when the old cafeteria was around.

Have you eaten at Cleburne's Cafeteria? Now that's my kind of food! A little pricey, and they only take cash - no credit cards, or checks. Man, talk about fresh good solid food! I eat there on special occassions when I really want to dine, instead of just eat food.

I gotta try Cleburns. I have heard a lot about them, but have never been.

As for concepts, maybe Luby's SHOULD implement all-you-can eat buffets like a lot of places along I-45. They seems to be doing blockbuster business.

They charge more then places like Chili's where the food is made when you order it.

That's probably part of the reason why you pay more at Luby's, for the convenience of having your food already cooked and ready to serve instead of waiting 15 mins.

That's probably part of the reason why you pay more at Luby's, for the convenience of having your food already cooked and ready to serve instead of waiting 15 mins.

That's not viewed as an advantage by most people any longer; food that is kept under heat lamps is considered less fresh/healthy/clean. It's why even fast food restaurants now advertise along the lines of that, "We won't make it until you order it."

I've never gone to any cafeteria-style restaurants in Houston except for Luby's and Ryan's. I do have fond memories of Furr's Cafeteria on South Lamar when I was growing up in and around Austin, though.

Cleburnes is good. WE ate lunch there last week and were very happy. Way better than Luby's. We didn't know about the cash only rule, which was embarrassing. They did take our credit card "just this once".

Dinner Bell on Lawndale @ Wayside is my favorite cafeteria. It's been there forever - my parents used to eat there when they lived on the SE side of town 50+ years ago.

Oh man, Dinner Bell takes me back. I ate there at least once a week about 40 years ago when I was working at a refinery on the Ship Channel. Of course, I remember eating at the Cleburne Cafeteria when it was on Cleburne (next to Sears on Main and near St. Agnes Academy when it was on Fannin).

• The title was changed to Luby's At Westheimer Rd. And Cinco Ranch Blvd.

Archived