Sam Malone fired from KHMX

Pumapayam

Finally are reason to give this guy his own thread.

KHMX being sold was the reason given for the departure.

This happened a month-"ish" ago (YES no more ISH's!), but I did not notice until I heard some guy Keith on the radio this morning. Having an iPod really tunes you out at times.

I am sure Roula, Ryan (even though he annoys me just as much as Sam), Atom, and Maria are secretly smiling somewhere.

Karma!

Wow - I had no idea! I liked Sam and Maria on 104, but not Sam and that other chick on 96.5

The other "chick" is still around, and got bumped up to lead status based on the title of the morning show, The Mix Morning Show with Michele Fisher and Keith Scott. I guess having your name first in the pairing gives you seniority.

I never understood if he left KRBE to go to KHMX, he must have been in demand then.

To give him his walking papers without a proper goodbye on air or a farewell show must mean there was some dirty drama in the background.

Interesting to see if Michele Fisher is still friends with him, or if her keeping the host position puts a strain on it.

With no more networking at KRBE or KHMX, his options are limited in Houston. Although it would be funny to see Roula and Ryan get the boot again if KRBE decided to re-hire him.

I can honestly do without Ryan's "dishing it, but can't take it" humor. That, and his wife/Faith stories are pretty boring.

So maybe a Roula and Sam morning show? I can't tell which is worse.

I think Sam left KRBE to do some a.m. talk radio show, it didn't pan out, then went to KHMX, something like that. I'm with you on the Roula and Ryan mess. The only thing I ever found entertaining was the Roula and Ryan's Roses thing. If I do listen to any morning show, it's usually 94.5 the Buzz

I think Sam left KRBE to do some a.m. talk radio show, it didn't pan out, then went to KHMX, something like that. I'm with you on the Roula and Ryan mess. The only thing I ever found entertaining was the Roula and Ryan's Roses thing. If I do listen to any morning show, it's usually 94.5 the Buzz

Some other forum had this posted.

Randomly, one of the morning DJs made a brief appearance at dinner on Thursday night and told us about Sam Malone getting fired. It was apparently a cost cutting move since his contract was up for renewal.

An audio sample of of Sam and Maria in the morning, but from when. About a 1/3 of the way through, Sam clearly says 96.5 (With the phone number 713-212-5965)?!?!

When did Sam and Maria work at 96.5? :unsure:

So Sam left KHMX, went to KRBE, ditched Maria and returned to KHMX? Sorry if this has been posted before.

They joke of Roger Clemens (07-08) in front of Congress and make a Lewenksy reference (95-97).

An audio sample of of Sam and Maria in the morning, but from when. About a 1/3 of the way through, Sam clearly says 96.5 (With the phone number 713-212-5965)?!?!

When did Sam and Maria work at 96.5? :unsure:

So Sam left KHMX, went to KRBE, ditched Maria and returned to KHMX? Sorry if this has been posted before.

They joke of Roger Clemens (07-08) in front of Congress and make a Lewenksy reference (95-97).

I thought that the links in the last line of your post were going to contain some more audio. Posting a Wiki entry there was a very lame thing to do. How dissappointing. Wikipedia entries???????? What was your point?

CyKat

I thought that the links in the last line of your post were going to contain some more audio. Posting a Wiki entry there was a very lame thing to do. How dissappointing. Wikipedia entries???????? What was your point?

CyKat

Wow! So angry over some Wikipedia links! :rolleyes:

If you want the audio, go find it yourself. Payam isn't your personal Google. And there's no need to get so nasty.

CyKat

Naw, that audio sample I shared above has them talking about it, about third to midway through. There is now time stamp on the player to reference the exact time, but I already pulled out the context. So again, the confusion is, why all the KHMX talk when they were on KRBE at the time?

I am SO confused.

Wow! So angry over some Wikipedia links! :rolleyes:

If you want the audio, go find it yourself. Payam isn't your personal Google. And there's no need to get so nasty.

Thank you K, and welcome back, with a vengeance!

While I do feel sympathy for any one being out of a job, the fact is Sam Malone had a very dated style or rather his style is passe in todays much more modern hip audience. He was known back in the 70's so thats tells it all. Smell the coffee Sam baby. :)

• 4 weeks later...

WoW another Rush/Hannity/Savage, great just what we need.

Just wanted to let you know about my latest big media interview. It's with former 104.1 KRBE and Mix 96.5 morning show host Sam Malone. Malone was let go by Clear Channel last fall and reveals whether or not he is coming back to Houston radio, why he left 104 and how things are with his former co-host Maria Todd. Plus a lot more!

http://mikemcguff.blogspot.com/2009/01/sam-malone-of-krbe-khmx-talks-to-mike.html

Mike: There was probably a lot of heart-ache when you left for MIX and you had to leave her behind.

Sam: It was tough. Our contracts were staggered so she couldn't leave. I told her I was going to do it. I said, "Listen, I can't turn this down. This is it."

Mike: Yeah.

Sam: When the contract is up, I'm pretty much a by-the-book-guy. So, it would be no hanky, panky with the contract. I just said, "When your contract is up, let me know." We have got to rock and roll together. They may want her to stay after this part.

It was tough, but we're still pretty close. It was just tough to getting away from having her on the radio. She's so talented.

I call BS, neither of them mentioned each other on the radio, plus, why did he bring over Michele Fisher of KRBE instead of Maria Todd. Lies, lies, lies. He screwed Maria over by choosing Michele.

BTW, no one has answered my question about the audio clip on his website that indicated Sam and Maria were a pair on KHMX at one time.

I call BS, neither of them mentioned each other on the radio, plus, why did he bring over Michele Fisher of KRBE instead of Maria Todd. Lies, lies, lies. He screwed Maria over by choosing Michele.

BTW, no one has answered my question about the audio clip on his website that indicated Sam and Maria were a pair on KHMX at one time.

You can check out Maria online at Movin' 99.7 in San Francisco. She's still great and has a great new morning show. She still does the Hollywood Dirt too.

• 8 months later...

The other "chick" is still around, and got bumped up to lead status based on the title of the morning show, The Mix Morning Show with Michele Fisher and Keith Scott. I guess having your name first in the pairing gives you seniority.

I never understood if he left KRBE to go to KHMX, he must have been in demand then.

To give him his walking papers without a proper goodbye on air or a farewell show must mean there was some dirty drama in the background.

Interesting to see if Michele Fisher is still friends with him, or if her keeping the host position puts a strain on it.

With no more networking at KRBE or KHMX, his options are limited in Houston. Although it would be funny to see Roula and Ryan get the boot again if KRBE decided to re-hire him.

I can honestly do without Ryan's "dishing it, but can't take it" humor. That, and his wife/Faith stories are pretty boring.

So maybe a Roula and Sam morning show? I can't tell which is worse.

They are all worse. Pure Drivel. No thanks.

• 5 months later...

I'm probably late on this but I was flipping through the radio stations and to my surprise, I hear Maria Todd's voice. The Morning Show on KHMX is apparently now the 'Maria and Todd Show'. Michelle Fisher has moved to a later time and at this point it doesn't look like ol' Sammy will be joining her anytime soon. My, what a turn of events.

I'm probably late on this but I was flipping through the radio stations and to my surprise, I hear Maria Todd's voice. The Morning Show on KHMX is apparently now the 'Maria and Todd Show'. Michelle Fisher has moved to a later time and at this point it doesn't look like ol' Sammy will be joining her anytime soon. My, what a turn of events.

Wow.

How the hell and WHEN did it happen?

It cant be the "Maria and Todd Show" because her name is Maria Todd. Her co host is Brad Booker previously of The Hot Morning Show with Booker and Sarah on Hot 95-7. Maria returned to Houston and debuted "The Mix Morning Show with Maria Todd and Brad Booker" on February 22nd 2010. It was speculated that Maria would reunite with Sam Malone for this show. Promos even teased about who it might be but she was not allowed to say. Wasnt Sam. I don't think they'll ever reunite, he abandoned her at KRBE for mornings at KHMX with Michelle Fischer in 06.

(They both left KRBE about the same time, Michelle claimed it was to spend more time at home with the kids. They both resurfaced at Mix months later. Think they had it planned?)

KHMX (Clear Channel) fires Roula and Ryan for Sam Malone. KRBE (Cumulus) hires Roula and Ryan several months later to replace Atom Smasher and Maria Todds show. R&R go head to head with Sam at each others former stations. Malones show tanks and hes out on the street and cant get another morning show anywhere, other than spots and fill in on KHOU's Good Day Houston. Mix struggles with mornings for a couple of years, then in 2010, KHMX (now owned by CBS) hires Maria Todd to return to Houston to fill the spot formerly occupied by Sam.

It cant be the "Maria and Todd Show" because her name is Maria Todd. Her co host is Brad Booker previously of The Hot Morning Show with Booker and Sarah on Hot 95-7. Maria returned to Houston and debuted "The Mix Morning Show with Maria Todd and Brad Booker" on February 22nd 2010. It was speculated that Maria would reunite with Sam Malone for this show. Promos even teased about who it might be but she was not allowed to say. Wasnt Sam. I don't think they'll ever reunite, he abandoned her at KRBE for mornings at KHMX with Michelle Fischer in 06.

(They both left KRBE about the same time, Michelle claimed it was to spend more time at home with the kids. They both resurfaced at Mix months later. Think they had it planned?)

KHMX (Clear Channel) fires Roula and Ryan for Sam Malone. KRBE (Cumulus) hires Roula and Ryan several months later to replace Atom Smasher and Maria Todds show. R&R go head to head with Sam at each others former stations. Malones show tanks and hes out on the street and cant get another morning show anywhere, other than spots and fill in on KHOU's Good Day Houston. Mix struggles with mornings for a couple of years, then in 2010, KHMX (now owned by CBS) hires Maria Todd to return to Houston to fill the spot formerly occupied by Sam.

Do people really follow these people around?? Come on...

Do people really follow these people around?? Come on...

Do people really go around posting on Architecture sites talking about old buildings and construction sites?

Everyone has something they're into.

He doesn't show up on KSEV's schedule - where are you seeing it?

Malone is a major ass-monkey in person.

ETA: Okay, found him on the Host Bios list, but no show is listed for him.

I've heard him in the afternoons a number of times when I'm station surfing due to the music stations I listen to not playing something I want to hear.

I've heard him in the afternoons a number of times when I'm station surfing due to the music stations I listen to not playing something I want to hear.

Yeah he's filling in for Dan Patrick whose been doing Edd Hendee's AM show . ( Hendee lost his son in a skiing accident ) I guess this will be Malone's "big break " .

Yeah he's filling in for Dan Patrick whose been doing Edd Hendee's AM show . ( Hendee lost his son in a skiing accident ) I guess this will be Malone's "big break " .

Sam only does fill in on KSEV from time to time

Archived