That's a new one on me. Only a couple of mentions on Chowhound's Chains board.

Houston has some great local burger options. Michael Stern of Roadfood fame wrote a few years ago in his first review of Lankford Grocery that Houston is hamburger crazy (I think the language has been changed in the review on line now) and I haven't been very impressed with these chains from elsewhere. Five Guys in Rosenberg is a bust, as far as I'm concerned. Not much better than Wendy's for all the hype although the free peanuts are a plus.

Smashed burgers are popular north of the Red River but that picture on the website doesn't look like a smashed burger.

Smashburgers kind of remind me of the Gourmet Hamburgers restaurants we used to have. I loved those.

As in Hamburgers by Gourmet? Now I can't wait.

There should be an In-and-Out burger here. Hopefully it comes one day.

Some people claim Tornado Burger on FM 1092 in Stafford is comparable to I/O. Greasiest fries I've ever had.

• 3 weeks later...
I drive by Main and Kirby all of the time and I haven't even noticed the place. Texmex's cheeseburger photo shows me that I MUST try this place out. Got me drooling over here, lol.

It's in a new strip center with an AT&T store. Warning. Still construction going on so it's not an easy place to get in and out of. Not much parking available.

• 2 weeks later...
I made it by the other day (and took a picture, too ^_^ )

I had the 1/2 pound barbecue bacon and cheese and I was pleasantly surprised. The Smashburger logo also is very Gamestop-ish...

Thank you! I knew it reminded me of something and I couldn't put my finger on it... ^_^

Robb Walsh of the Press stopped by the other day. Here's his review:

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating/2009/...outh_burger.php

For the record, ketchup on a burger = heresy. :lol:

^That's just for the burger - it's 1.49 for fries (2.49 without burger), and they also have grilled vegetables (1.99/2.99) and haystack onions (2.99/3.99).

They have beer, too, but when I went they couldn't sell it yet...

• 2 weeks later...

I went back to check it out for the second time - this time I had the mushroom/swiss burger (1/2 lb.) with the haystack onions..

I think it was even better than the first one I had..

And yeah, it is a little more expensive, but worth it imo...(was $11 something for the burger - the larger one - a side, and a fountain drink).

smash012109.jpg

• 1 month later...