Gene Tierney Home At 5000 Longmont Dr.

Rammer

I know that Gene Tierney lived in Houston from 1960 - 1991 and is buried in Glenwood cemetary, but I never hear about her home/house. I believe she may have lived in River Oaks...does anyone know which house?

Try doing a search under her name. We did discuss briefly about a year ago. I too often wondered which one of the homes was hers. She had quite an unusual life but found Houston as her permanent home. I remember seeing Laura late, late one night as a kid and it was a most peculiar film. BIO tells all.

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Set/7178/

2670_1011856982.jpgce3b2de4-b302-44a8-bfc7-c6b949646246.jpg

I know that Gene Tierney lived in Houston from 1960 - 1991 and is buried in Glenwood cemetary, but I never hear about her home/house. I believe she may have lived in River Oaks...does anyone know which house?

She lived in the 3200 block of Del Monte on the south side. I can't remember the number but it is next door (west side) of the Tudor house with the incredible sculpted roof.

• 2 weeks later...
She lived in the 3200 block of Del Monte on the south side. I can't remember the number but it is next door (west side) of the Tudor house with the incredible sculpted roof.

I just noticed this thread, small antecdote to add. When she lived in River Oaks, married to Howard Lee, they rented a box for their mail at the Highland Village Post Office Station. My husband at the time was in charge of the Box Section. Gene could either never remember the combination or didn't bother to learn it, so it became a frequent occasion for her to knock on the door and have my husband retrieve and hand her the mail. I always thought it was just the pampered life of a Hollywood Star, used to folks doing everything for her.

Her BIO was kind of interesting and very tragic. Perhaps it had to do with her numerous nervous breakdowns? or just spoiled, we may never know. She was among several beauties of her time. Too many to name. I always wanted to see the house nonetheless. :)

Actually that is what I meant to add. After reading of her sad mental history and of the electro-shock treatments, it is very possible to likely she was unable to remember the combination lock numbers, among so many things of that ilk we are tasked to carry around in our heads. I always liked her as an actress and her beauty was undeniable.

• 1 month later...

I am no longer certain that Tierney lived in the Del Monte house. It was owned by Howard Lee when he was married to Hedy Lamarr. I have learned that he sold that house in 1957, before he was divorced from Lamarr and married Tierny in 1960. The divorce was highly publicized: the old Houston Press files have many black and glossies of the courtroom scenes. I used to see Tierny in the Weingartens on Post Oak (now the site of the Container Store) in the very early 1970s.

Edited by sak

I am no longer certain that Tierney lived in the Del Monte house. It was owned by Howard Lee when he was married to Hedy Lamarr. I have learned that he sold that house in 1957, before he was divorced from Lamarr and married Tierny in 1960. The divorce was highly publicized: the old Houston Press files have many black and glossies of the courtroom scenes. I used to see Tierny in the Weingartens on Post Oak (now the site of the Container Store) in the very early 1970s.

I think she lived at the Willowick Condominium from about 1978 until she died. That condo is in the River Oaks area. Before that I believe she lived in the Broad Oaks subdivision north of Woodway between Sage and Chimney Rock.

• 7 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Gene lived in the River Oaks Highrise on Westheimer. I know this because I had her apt after she moved out and weirdly enough I also got her phone number!!! Used to get calls all the time asking for Mrs Howard Lee, did not know who it was until I was in the coffee room one day and started talking to the old timers who had been living there since it was built in the 70's. They all knew her and told me I was living in her old apt. Then when they told me she had been married to a man name Howard Lee it freaked me out a bit. What are the odds of another person getting the same phone number and apt of someone who had died...

@suzyb  That's very cool...So she lived at one point in your old apartment and she also lived across the street from my house in Broad Oaks. Reading through this thread it seems that she lived in at least two different places. If you haven't read about her life, it's worth a read...her bio should be made into a movie. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/16/2008 at 1:06 PM, WestUNative said:

I just noticed this thread, small antecdote to add. When she lived in River Oaks, married to Howard Lee, they rented a box for their mail at the Highland Village Post Office Station. My husband at the time was in charge of the Box Section. Gene could either never remember the combination or didn't bother to learn it, so it became a frequent occasion for her to knock on the door and have my husband retrieve and hand her the mail. I always thought it was just the pampered life of a Hollywood Star, used to folks doing everything for her.

Really sad to assume that she was pampered. Tierney suffered from manic-depression. She underwent so many shock treatments that she ran away from the mental health clinic. They recaptured her and took her back. Tierney spent t the rest of her life campaigning against shock treatment therapy because she suffered from major memory loss because of the treatments. This is the most likely reason for her memory loss.

• 5 years later...
  • The title was changed to Gene Tierney Home In River Oaks
  • The title was changed to Gene Tierney Home At 5000 Longmont Dr.