Meyer Bros. The White House Store At 2525 University Blvd.

Modernceo

My girlfriend and I ate at Fu's Chinese restaurant on University St in Kirby Village and on the way back to the car we walked past a beautiful Tile Mosaic entry with the wording "Myers White Store" in front of whats now Half Price Books.

Does anyone know the history of Myers store ? Any photos ? I absolutely love seeing the tiled entry ways of stores from long past.

Cory

• Like 1

Does anyone know the history of Myers store ? Any photos ? I absolutely love seeing the tiled entry ways of stores from long past.

I don't have anything to add about Myers, but if you've never done so, you should take a walk down 19th Street in the Heights. There are several old tiled shop entrances preserved there.

"Inappropriate paint colors mar the ex-Meyer Bros. The White House at 2525 University (1950, Lenard Gabert & W. Jackson Wisdom), described at the time of it's construction as an example of 'ranch style architecture' ".

Been in there when it was turned into the bookstore...it's pretty big. The entrance floor is cool.

Edited by NenaE

Tiled entries are so rare. I vaguely recall seeing those in most older downtown stores like Grants and last time I glanced at the old Grant's entry it is still there. Wish I could scrape up and take home before they remove. Or is it too late?

I bet you can see many original tiled entries in downtown Austin and other small towns around Texas. :D

If you haven't been inside, be sure to check out the grand staircase in the back of the store. They replaced the original railings a few years ago (didn't meet code), but it's still pretty cool.

Thanks for the info NenaE. Didn't know it was a Gabert building...

Found that brief information listed under the Craig's dept. store listing...(located at the east end of the same shopping center).

Oh yeh...forgot about that staircase, it's great, the store layout was very common, stairway leading to a balcony, half 2nd floor, viewable below. Might have been not so kid-friendly, though. Gulfgate had some stores with that same layout.

Found that brief information listed under the Craig's dept. store listing...(located at the east end of the same shopping center).

Oh yeh...forgot about that staircase, it's great, the store layout was very common, stairway leading to a balcony, half 2nd floor, viewable below. Might have been not so kid-friendly, though. Gulfgate had some stores with that same layout.

Also, National Shirt, Shop, J Riggings, Threes Sisters Dept Store, Flagg Brothers, Florsheim Shoes and many more. :rolleyes:

Market Square still sports some.

Just for reference, here is a list of Meyer Bros/White House stores from 1957:

#01: 311 W 19th

#02: 2539 University

#03: 1996 W Gray

#04: 5002 Bellaire

#05: 211 E Shaw (Pasadena)

#06: 2912 Fulton

#07: 8902 Humble Rd.

#08: 4037 Westheimer

(no store #9 listed)

#10: 1035 Meyerland Plaza

General offices listed at Meyerland Plaza Location

Advtg Dept and Shoe Dept listed at 1511 Preston

Beauty Salon office listed at 1417 Chenevert

Eibands in Galveston was loosely associated with White House Dept stores in the late 80's and early '90s. At least it said so on my Eiband's credit card. You were allowed to use their card to charge at those other stores. And I did, but it was at a White House in El Paso.

• The title was changed to Meyer Bros. The White House Store At 2525 University Blvd.