Americans afraid to visit Juarez

I went to Juarez in 2000 and didn't find anything to love. Maybe I didn't go to the right places. But I did like El Paso.

But with recent killings, even the locals are worried when they cross the border.

http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_7739/contentdeta...ntguid=SmJZFVae

More than 1,100 people have been killed this year in Juarez, population 1.5 million, in a drug-related bloodbath so staggering that the city has been declared off-limits to U.S. soldiers looking to go bar-hopping; El Paso's public hospital is seeing a spillover of the wounded; and residents on the American side are afraid to cross over to visit family, shop or conduct business.
Dozens of shooting victims, several of them U.S. citizens or legal residents, have been treated at Thomason General Hospital

I went to Juarez in 2000 and didn't find anything to love. Maybe I didn't go to the right places. But I did like El Paso.

But with recent killings, even the locals are worried when they cross the border.

The AP sure takes a while to pick up on this kind of thing. There have been similar problems all up and down the border, especially in Nuevo Laredo, Matamoros, and Reynosa.

...and I could make plenty of jokes at your expense about seeking love in Mexican bordertowns. But I won't. Suffice it to say that the interior is far preferable.

The AP sure takes a while to pick up on this kind of thing.

Not really. The AP has been following the violence in Juarez since the beginning. Remember, the AP is a press association so anything written by its members (including the El Paso papers) moves on the AP print wire.

This is just the first time I've noticed a nice, neat roundup that made it down to the travel section.

Ever since the terrifying Mark Kilroy event, I couldn't blame anyone to even consider going around these places. :o

Cant believe it was back in 89? Whoa! Time has flown by!

http://santeria.tribe.net/thread/67be09e2-...b8-edeba0809f0a

I bet even locals dont want to go there. Holy, moly.

Yep, and that could have been me instead of Kilroy. I was supposed to go down there for springbreak with my girlfriend, but had to go visit a college recruiter in Mississippi that week.

There is not a single bordertown I would set foot in today. It just ain't worth it!

In Acuna (across from Del Rio), some friends we know from Louisiana who have half the lease of the hunting ranch, went over to "Boy's Town". I admit, I have too, its pretty fun. Anyways, there was a huge shoot out between the managers, drug dealers, mafia, and police... Well we don't go there anymore, but rather just stay around 10 miles from the border... Cheap drinks!

Thats the biggest misconception young, un-street smart, naive college kids have is that these places are all big fun, boozing and endless parties. :mellow:

Thats exactly why Mark Kilroy ended up as human menudo.

Be sure to take a moment to read that story I added.

See what happens is a bad event happens....few months pass, then a few years, a decade, by then a whole new "ignorant" young crowd revisits and its off with their tallywackers! Lorena Bobbit style, except she tossed it not boiled it in a cauldron for supper. :):mellow:

Thats the biggest misconception young, un-street smart, naive college kids have is that these places are all big fun, boozing and endless parties. :mellow:

Thats exactly why Mark Kilroy ended up as human menudo.

Be sure to take a moment to read that story I added.

See what happens is a bad event happens....few months pass, then a few years, a decade, by then a whole new "ignorant" young crowd revisits and its off with their tallywackers! Lorena Bobbit style, except she tossed it not boiled it in a cauldron for supper. :):mellow:

There is a movie, Loosely, very loosely, based off of the Kilroy murder. The name escapes me right now, I will try to find it.

Perdita Durango aka Dance with the Devil with Rosie Perez, is the name of the movie I am thinking of.

Ever since the terrifying Mark Kilroy event, I couldn't blame anyone to even consider going around these places. :o

Cant believe it was back in 89? Whoa! Time has flown by!

http://santeria.tribe.net/thread/67be09e2-...b8-edeba0809f0a

I bet even locals dont want to go there. Holy, moly.

I'm trying to find the link between an isolated cult killing 20 years ago in a city several hundred miles away from Juarez and the gangland drug murders occurring in Juarez today. Then again, why am I trying to find a link between two completely unrelated events, just because they ended up in the same thread? :mellow:

I'm trying to find the link between an isolated cult killing 20 years ago in a city several hundred miles away from Juarez and the gangland drug murders occurring in Juarez today. Then again, why am I trying to find a link between two completely unrelated events, just because they ended up in the same thread? :mellow:

I think geographically it's easy for people who aren't locals to lump anything that happens south of the border as "over there" and make it all the same place. It's not right, but it seems to be human nature.

I think geographically it's easy for people who aren't locals to lump anything that happens south of the border as "over there" and make it all the same place. It's not right, but it seems to be human nature.

That's probably true. The world outside of our own is probably very small in our own minds. It even happens locally, as a crime happening in Houston makes the entire 630 square mile city seem dangerous to a non-resident. The fact that it may be 20 miles away means little.

That's probably true. The world outside of our own is probably very small in our own minds. It even happens locally, as a crime happening in Houston makes the entire 630 square mile city seem dangerous to a non-resident. The fact that it may be 20 miles away means little.

Exactly. It reminds me of my former career when I'd have to sometimes deal with people at CNN. They'd always call the Houston stations to ask if we would go cover stories CNN wanted out of El Paso. I'd tell CNN to call Los Angeles since L.A. is closer to El Paso than Houston is, but they could never wrap their brains around it.

Something about Atlanta makes people there, even the gaggle of minimum wage foreigners working at CNN, think it's the center of the universe.

Mexico has a serious drug problem. Seems like it has moved from Columbia to Mexico.

I saw something recently about how now that DHS is making it so much harder to get across the border that the cartels are busy developing a domestic market for their goods, and that TJ is currently the biggest market, and much rougher as a result.

• 2 months later...

The Kilroy event was only slightly related to drugs and was more the type of think that could happen anywhere

the people kidnapped and killed him as a sacrifice to avoid being caught running drugs.....funny thing is that it is what got them caught

the killings today are vastly different, but still drug related and Mexico in general is much less safe today

Mexico has a serious drug problem. Seems like it has moved from Columbia to Mexico.

Actually, the drug violence in Mexico is a result of the USA's serious drug problem.

My opinion of these things is that as long as you're not involved in anything illegal across the border, it's just as safe as the US. Murders usually aren't random.

Having said that, my last trip to Mexico involved a drug transaction last year...a 20-yard swim across the Rio Grande at the Big Bend Hot Springs to buy $10 of weed to enjoy up in the Chisos. If you're going to do international drug deals, keep them small to reduce the risk of violence. ;)

Actually, the drug violence in Mexico is a result of the USA's serious drug problem.

My opinion of these things is that as long as you're not involved in anything illegal across the border, it's just as safe as the US. Murders usually aren't random.

Having said that, my last trip to Mexico involved a drug transaction last year...a 20-yard swim across the Rio Grande at the Big Bend Hot Springs to buy $10 of weed to enjoy up in the Chisos. If you're going to do international drug deals, keep them small to reduce the risk of violence. ;)

while the USA was the spark and the primary fire for the drug fueled issues in Mexico things are taking a dramatic turn for the worse because the former rule of "transport, package for sale, and move to the USA ONLY in Mexico" has turned into "sell to anyone with a pulse including any Mexican with cash" and it has lead to dramatic increases of all types of smaller and major crimes as Mexicans become addicts and their dealers fight for the turf like in the USA and then they fight for a large share of the pie that is not available in the USA

My last trip there about 8 years back I had the STRONG feeling that Mexicans were very mad at the USA and viewed most Americans as targest for most any scam or crime they felt they could easily pull off and this went from the street urchin, to the cab driver, to the lower level police, to the state police, to the federales and army looking to make "examples" of Americans

They were mad about tighter border controls and increased drug crack downs and the USA pointing the blame at them for a problem they mostly correctly blame on us for being the end users...the street urchins, cabbies, and lower level cops were mad about the closed borders and tighter US crackdowns and the Federales and Army were concerned with pointing the finger at US Citizens as being the consumers and some what trouble makers...it was much less friendly and much more open to anyone scamming and not facing the police or the police taking their side and or the police even doing a bit of shaking down......have not been back since

Archived