Preserving Photos & Paper Items

NenaE

I am in the process of organizing old photos, newspaper articles (most related to architecture) and other paper items (most related to Houston) that I have either saved or have been passed down to me. What is the best method for storing these items? I have heard (and have realized myself) that paper/cardboard photo boxes are best for photos (chemicals smell if closed up in plastic or tin, no way to "breathe"). But water damage is always a possibility and a problem when using paper materials for storage. (The present hurricane brewing in the Gulf has got me thinking about this).

Excellent question - the preservation of photographs and paper materials isn't closely looked at by many but is necessary considering they are fragile and prone to disintegration.

You want storage materials/places that are chemically stable and protect from UV rays and humidity - your biggest enemies are acidic paper (or anything wood based), the sun, and moisture (oh, and bugs!).

Depending on the size of your materials, there are a few sites that sell archival quality products that aren't too expensive - I would recommend browsing these places:

http://www.gaylordmart.com/listing.asp?H=3

http://www.metaledgeinc.com/store.tpl?cart=1220979740544051

http://www.archivalsuppliers.com/

Boxes can contain high levels of acidity depending on what they're made of. For long-term storage of paper items and photos, you want to make sure you use archival-grade supplies which are pH-neutral.

Check out Brodart's archival library supplies page for some ideas. I haven't checked, but you might be able to find archival supplies locally at Texas Art Supply.

Especially with color slides do not use certain plastics that have acids that will degrade the film. There are special plastic sleeves and holders that eliminate or minimize that risk.

For paper items, protect them from silverfish and other pests.

Don't forget mold and water damage protection!

That is wonderful news! The Links that is.

Antiques Roadshow often gives great advice on ocassion on how to preserve everything from Clothes to photos.

Here is a bit of advice IF you have any old family photos in those OVAL wooden shaped frames, remove them now.

The photo becomes oval shaped and hard as a rock or then begins to crumble. Be very slow about doing any removals or have a professional do it. We have one of great, great grandpa's wedding (had to be in early 1900's) and it almost got stuck to the glass. Now to have it restored, copied & placed in a new frame.

It still amazes me how people would get so well dressed for these photos. :o:)

It sort of looks like this:

356137.jpg?v=20080610132248

You can also find various archival quality storage materials at Hobby Lobby and Michael's. Anywhere from photos boxes, to albums, to large portfolios, photo sleeves, etc. And some camera shops around town used to sell things like that too. Although I haven't been in a camera shop in years...

I use comic book bags and backs for a lot of my paper ephemera (newspaper clippings, brochures, etc.) These are pretty cheap at your local comic book shop. They also have magazine sized bags and backs. I believe all the brands you will find in comic book shops these days are archival quality.

I am not sure about the variety of supplies available at retailers like Hobby Lobby, but I would be careful. Most archival quality items are identified, though.

Buffered paper box storage is also better since it resists changes in pH (acidification), and for plastic sleeving, you also want that to be chemically inert (mylar/melinex is your best bet).

Thanks for the tips & links everyone...I even saw a folder made to store old maps in.

There was a good example on Antiques Rd Show where a lady brought in a Quaker style wedding dress from the early 1800's still completely intact except for a few rips in seams however it had two very distinct brown like discolorations that greatly took away value from the piece. One of the appraisers said it was a result of storing in a cardboard box. -_-

I could just strangle a cousin that had his dads very historical photos tossed in a plain box on a shelf in a regular closet only to find (after he died) that insects and a water leak from the roof ruined all of them. I blame him for not taking better care of his pop, whole new topic. There are millions of similar stories I'm sure.

Everyone please be more caring and cautious not just for sake of family but for future generations that would have loved to have seen these relics.

I am not sure about the variety of supplies available at retailers like Hobby Lobby, but I would be careful. Most archival quality items are identified, though.

Buffered paper box storage is also better since it resists changes in pH (acidification), and for plastic sleeving, you also want that to be chemically inert (mylar/melinex is your best bet).

Yep, I agree. Make sure they are identified as archival safe. Not all the materials the art stores sell are this quality. But I have noticed both stores have scrapbooking sections that do sell archival materials. You'll also see archival plastics made of polypropylene and polyethylene.

One of the two stores also sells "deacidification spray". I haven't used this before, but I'd like to try it sometime on some test material to see how well it works. This is probably one of those "use with caution" products. I noticed someone also sells a pH testing pen. Fun stuff. :-)