Which Houston Building Is Most Iconic

Think "New York," and you picture the Empire State Building. Think "Washington," and there's the White House, the National Mall and all those memorials. San Francisco? The Golden Gate Bridge. St. Louis? The Arch. San Antonio? The River Walk, the Alamo. Austin? The pink-granite state Capitol.

But think "Houston," and what do you see?

What are our icons?

What defines us?

What do we love?

Those are surprisingly tough questions.

And they're important. When we think about our icons

Houston loves freedom

so I'd say we're beyond iconic idolatry

unfortunately our rep is attached to a vacant bldg, maybe irony but moreso a fact of houston's love for freedom

If anything, marketers should focus on our extensive interiors and how one could go from one great interior to another and never experience nature.

My criteria

My criteria for Houston's most iconic building are simple. It must be unique, and by that I mean there can't be any other building like it, in this town or any other. The Williams Tower is a great looking building, but it's hardly unique.

Secondly, it needs to be at least a couple of generations old. Middle aged and even elderly adults need to be able to remember the building when they were children. I want to see some longevity before I start calling something an "icon".

Finally, it must still be in use. The Astrodome hasn't been in regular general use for years now, and it's at death's door.

So, my nominee that meets all my criteria is the Neils Esperson Bldg in downtown Houston. It was built in the late 1920s, it is traditional but distinctive with that wonderful pillared cupola on top, there's no other building like anywhere that I know about, and it's still in use as a desirable location in the heart of downtown.

The Gulf Bldg across the corner from it comes in second in my ranking of iconic buildings. A very close second, because of its incredible lobby. The vaulted bank lobby of the Gulf Building just overwhelms you, and lets you know in no uncertain terms that you are in a Temple of Mammon. Houston Money is spoken here.

I vote for the Rice Hotel, with all it's rich history. And it's a success story; it's a miracle that it survived to see restoration. It's ironic that the Prudential Bldg. is on the list of suggestions. Maybe I should have voted for it, since it represents "those historic bldg. owners & the way they think".

Interesting question, I think for people outside of Houston it's definitely the Astrodome. To me, it's a toss up between The Astrodome and Williams Tower.

Astrodome in terms of history.

Williams Tower in terms of something "iconic" that sets Houston apart from other major cities.

Chicago has Sears Tower, New York has the Empire State Building and we have Williams Tower. Not comparing the buildings, just the iconic status of them and how the Williams Tower is viewed here in Houston.

Secondly, it needs to be at least a couple of generations old. Middle aged and even elderly adults need to be able to remember the building when they were children. I want to see some longevity before I start calling something an "icon".

Nope. Take the Burj Dubai as an example where an icon is built from scratch. Or Taipei 101. Or the St. Louis Arch (in its day). Or the Collossus of Rhodes (in its day).

Something like the Niels Esperson Building probably qualifies as a former icon. But it has just been too far eclipsed...and as was mentioned elsewhere, back in its heyday, the San Jac Monument really took all the glory.

Think "New York," and you picture the Empire State Building. Think "Washington," and there's the White House, the National Mall and all those memorials. San Francisco? The Golden Gate Bridge. St. Louis? The Arch. San Antonio? The River Walk, the Alamo. Austin? The pink-granite state Capitol.

Think "Houston" I picture billboards, strip malls, chain restaurants, and stripclubs, but that's just me.

My criteria for Houston's most iconic building are simple. It must be unique, and by that I mean there can't be any other building like it, in this town or any other. The Williams Tower is a great looking building, but it's hardly unique.

Finally, it must still be in use. The Astrodome hasn't been in regular general use for years now, and it's at death's door.

So, my nominee that meets all my criteria is the Neils Esperson Bldg in downtown Houston. It was built in the late 1920s, it is traditional but distinctive with that wonderful pillared cupola on top, there's no other building like anywhere that I know about, and it's still in use as a desirable location in the heart of downtown.

The Gulf Bldg across the corner from it comes in second in my ranking of iconic buildings. A very close second, because of its incredible lobby. The vaulted bank lobby of the Gulf Building just overwhelms you, and lets you know in no uncertain terms that you are in a Temple of Mammon. Houston Money is spoken here.

With your new stipulations, I am on the same exact page with you regarding 1 & 2. I had made those decisions prior to getting to your selections. The cool thing is that I can see both of those buildings right now.

I vote for the Rice Hotel, with all it's rich history. And it's a success story; it's a miracle that it survived to see restoration. It's ironic that the Prudential Bldg. is on the list of suggestions. Maybe I should have voted for it, since it represents "those historic bldg. owners & the way they think".

I'd rank the Rice up there too. Too bad their going to tear down the 'Pru'.

• The title was changed to Which Houston Building Is Most Iconic?
  • The title was changed to Which Houston Building Is Most Iconic