Hurricane Ike

Trae

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone hear anything about services for the homeless? I stopped at a traffic light earlier and there was this old homeless woman. I asked her if she knew a storm was coming. She said, "Yes, God will protect me." I asked her if she knew it was a strong hurricane coming and she just looked kinda stunned and didn't say anything else to me.

11 just did a report from under the Pierce Elevated. The remaining homeless told 11 that most went to the GRB and were put on buses for Dallas. I wonder how many will come back.

10000 already without power in houston area......i think it will be a nice and steamy sept for many of us.

Yeah, just what I need. Hot and steamy weather inside, hurricane force winds and rain outside where I can't open my window without water drenching me, and cooped up in a house.

Ick.

Pretty amazing and scary watching this online. They're saying that 40% of the people in Galveston have stayed on. What are they thinking?

Just on a personal note I want to wish everyone at HAIF and back in Houston best of luck and stay safe.

Sub.

Looks like we have ourselves some potential Darwin Award winners! :blink:

I just heard that too. That's incredible... so many people are going to die. It's so sad. But they're so stupid. I feel so badly for the children, who depend on someone to take care of them, and those people failed them.

...yeah, Anderson Cooper and Wolf Blitzer are telling me that my parents are gonna die, too.

Of course, Wolf also just described the waves as "20-feet thick". Is that crest-to-trough or crest-to-crest? ...and why do I care?

EDIT: Just spoke to my parents. Storm surge downtown is about 18 inches shy of the tops of the parking meters. Probably about seven or eight feet.

EDIT: Oh, and they don't care about the "thickness" of waves either.

...yeah, Anderson Cooper and Wolf Blitzer are telling me that my parents are gonna die, too.

Of course, Wolf also just described the waves as "20-feet thick". Is that crest-to-trough or crest-to-crest? ...and why do I care?

EDIT: Just spoke to my parents. Storm surge downtown is about 18 inches shy of the tops of the parking meters. Probably about seven or eight feet.

EDIT: Oh, and they don't care about the "thickness" of waves either.

AC was quoting the Houston/Galveston NWS office. Galveston is expected to go completely underwater.

• Judge Emmett:
    • By 6:30 hurricane-force winds are expected.
    • Everyone stay off the freeways and streets.
    • If you're in an evacuation zone, it's probably too late.
    • Expect wind, rain, power outages.

[*]Mayor White on looting:

• "In our community... in this region... we do not tolerate the conduct of those who violate the rights of others. Criminal enforcement will be swift and severe for those who violate others' property rights."

[*]Police Chief:

• 7pm curfew in all areas under mandatory evacuation. In effect until 6am Saturday.
    • Another curfew from 7pm Saturday night until 6am Sunday morning in all areas of Houston under mandatory evacuation.

AC was quoting the Houston/Galveston NWS office. Galveston is expected to go completely underwater.

Sure, the land mass will. That doesn't indicate "Certain Death". They should call it what it is: an "Significant Probability of Death".

UPDATE: They've already lost cable, phone, and internet services. They still have electricity. Cell phones still work.

The Harris County Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Management, along with its partner agencies at Houston TranStar, is working to protect the lives and safety of residents in the region affected by Hurricane Ike. Below is a list of changes in preparation for Hurricane Ike.

Shelter In Place

Harris County Judge Ed Emmett strongly recommends that residents shelter in place for the duration of the storm. "Shelter in place" means that residents should remain at their current locations until the storm has passed.

311 Services Closed-Dial 911 Instead

311 services have ceased operation. Residents who are in the evacuation zone and need help evacuating should dial 911.

Metropolitan Transit Authority

METRO is closed and will continue to be closed on Saturday, Sept. 13, 2008. METRO will evaluate road conditions on Sunday to determine when they will restart service. For more information on METRO services, customers are encouraged to check METRO'S Web site at www.ridemetro.org or call 713-652-8960 or 713-635-4000.

Flash Flood Warning / High Water Locations

The National Weather Service has issued a flash flood warning for the area. After the storm has passed, residents can go to Houston TranStar's web site for a list of reported high water locations -- http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/roadclosures/ .

George R. Brown

The George R. Brown Convention Center has concluded evacuation efforts.

Important Numbers

Emergency Services - 911

Harris County Call Center - 713-881-3100

American Red Cross - 713-526-8300.

Sure, the land mass will. That doesn't indicate "Certain Death". They should call it what it is: an "Significant Probability of Death".

UPDATE: They've already lost cable, phone, and internet services. They still have electricity. Cell phones still work.

National Weather Service speaking to Galveston residents...

FGHP03XL.jpg

Looks like I'll be dealing with all 3 of my Galveston house insurance companies (wind storm, Flood, Homeowners) for a while. The other day I was worried about the chicken nuggets I left in the freezer down there... now I wonder if the freezer will even be there... I hope everyone is taking this as serious as it is.. and "hunkering down in place".. Be safe....

Got a little burst of some pretty decent winds here in Montrose a couple of minutes ago. Current toll: one townhome development sign, which should make for a good projectile later. I took pics of some other townhomes under construction that are about half covered in Tyvek - might make for some good before/after shots.

Thank God it took Ike so long to finally get organized! Imagine if it had been able to achieve Cat 4 winds?

Galveston OEM

"It's not safe to be out on the roads anymore."

Galveston County Judge

Curfew county-wide at 5pm Friday until "dawn" Sunday morning.

Curfew at "sunset" Sunday evening until "dawn" Monday.

"Get off the streets. Quit sight seeing."

National Weather Service

Eye is 60 miles across - "quite unusual for a hurricane of this intensity."

Probably going to land as a strong category two storm.

Dramatic increases in water height will come with high tide.

Backfront surge is 9-10 feet right now. Expecting 12-16 feet.

15-20 foot tidal surge expected in Galveston Bay.

I'm now hearing HOUSTON is under a mandatory 6p curfew.

WTF!?! (Oops, can I say that here?)

See post 556.

Hearing from who?

Well my sister heard it and now it is on the news:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5995957.html

The eye on this thing is 60 miles across. Looks like everyone will get to see what the eye of a hurricane looks like.

Wind speed up to 110 mph.

Hurricane force winds extend 125 miles.

It's supposed to come up I-45. Damnit. I am right in the path!

Archived