Houston's "longest" traffic lights

jc281

you know the ones that just kill you to stop at a late yellow. they take forever. ones that come to mind...

59 feeder as it dumps into Main St

HWY6 and Westheimer

not real long but super annoying...Post Oak at the Neiman's crosswalk

288 @ 2234/SC Parkway. If you have to turn left (from either 288 exit), you will wait forever.

Not a long light, but one that is always timed wrong - Durham at 14th. I can fly all the way down Durham without hitting a light, except that stupid one. Same with Yale at 14th. Sometimes I just run it since it's often before 6am on the way to work.

Turning left off northbound Fannin onto westbound Braeswood near the med center. Why? Because it crosses light rail at an odd place.

Ugh, light rail. Could have had a pretty much continuous stream of buses sharing the road for what it cost putting train cars on street level.

288 @ 2234/SC Parkway. If you have to turn left (from either 288 exit), you will wait forever.

Not a long light, but one that is always timed wrong - Durham at 14th. I can fly all the way down Durham without hitting a light, except that stupid one. Same with Yale at 14th. Sometimes I just run it since it's often before 6am on the way to work.

Shepherd at 19th always seems to catch me. It's a long light too, way longer than necessary.

Wheeler @ Main

Fannin @ Pressler

Numerous bus connections have been missed because buses get stuck on the wrong end of a train or trains coming into the stations screwing up the lights. I saw a bus wait over five minutes to get into TMC TC via Pressler because the light would not change.

Wheeler @ Main

Fannin @ Pressler

Numerous bus connections have been missed because buses get stuck on the wrong end of a train or trains coming into the stations screwing up the lights. I saw a bus wait over five minutes to get into TMC TC via Pressler because the light would not change.

The problem with places where you want to cross the light rail tracks is that left turns will be dropped from the cycle if a train goes by. When railcar traffic is heavy the left turns over the tracks can end up being skipped for over 5 cycles.

I guess it's unavoidable, but timewise, I'm going with:

Westheimer @ W. Loop (heavy traffic or not). Each cycle takes forever.

also: Willowbend @ Stella Link (why ?)

Richmond @ Shepherd

Elgin @ anything in Midtown

Post Oak Blvd @ W. Loop

San Felipe @ W. Loop

Memorial @ Chimney Rock

Bellaire @ Bissonnet

MOST Westheimer intersections outside the loop also qualify, in my book...

During non-peak hours, "east/west" crossings of Fannin and San Jacinto near the museums (Binz and Southmore, most noticeably) seem to take forever. The lights aren't sensored (rail) so it's easy to sit there alone at the intersection for a while.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived