College Football 2008-09

lockmat

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bottom line Ohio St was average as expected, but Texas looked very average. No way anyone can make an argument for them being #1 after that, or Colt for Heisman. He looked like crap I thought. He turned an easy TD into an easy INT, he doesn't do that and they don't need a last minute drive. It would be very interesting to see all the big 12 south top dogs fall...only 1 more to go.

In the mean time let's all revel in the greatness that is Ball St vs Tulsa!!! And why the hell is that game this late in the bowl season?

EDIT: Obviously Texas won...not sure where my head was in that comment about all going down. Oh, I must have been thinking that UT's goal for the bowl game was to assert that they deserve to be in the title game. In that regard, FAIL. Yeah that's what I was thinking.

Edited by 20thStDad

That is an easy non-conference but I think it is because there no more "helmet teams" in there Big 12 play. But I kinda want them to play BCS schools but dont really care cause winning their big 12 games should be good enough.

Colt McCoy played like a Heisman last night! That was a great game.

Cant believe I am going for the Sooners.

Why on earth would you ever pull for the Sooners???? There is zero reason to do so...if you are still hoping for a split AP title that went out the window with the showing last night and the Utah win.

Never pull for the Sooners, it can only bring bad things for UT. OU is the devil, don't ever forget it.

I can't believe the Horns almost lost to Ohio State. Ohio State should NOT have been invited to play in a BCS Bowl game but they gave the Horns everything they had.

At least it was a better game than OSU's last two attempts in BCS Bowls (LSU and Florida).

That said, the Big 12 South is definitely starting to look overrated. Okie State lost. Tech lost badly. And UT needed a last second TD to beat an Ohio State team that scored 9 points combined against USC and Penn State (failed to score a TD in those games).

I am liking my Florida pick more and more...

I agree with you and disagree at the same time...Ohio St. was a bad matchup for UT in that our defense is not used to playing a team with a run first mentality and the ability to execute it. We had a month to prepare but asking a linebacker to alter the way they played all year is not easy. You can blame that on Muschamp. Greg Davis called another brain dead game and UT sleepwalks through the first half and there you go. Playing five wide football is not as easy when the other team does not tacitly agree to play it with you (like the Big 12 teams all do).

OU has to be a little nervous after watching the play of Tech and UT, but you also have the question of how much motivation plays into bowl games. Both UT and Tech were playing in disappointing situations against teams that wanted to be there and win much more than they did. I give UT (and Colt) credit for pulling out the victory.

It hurts to say it, but the big 12 south does look like a paper tiger.

Edited by cnote

Bottom line Ohio St was average as expected, but Texas looked very average. No way anyone can make an argument for them being #1 after that, or Colt for Heisman. He looked like crap I thought. He turned an easy TD into an easy INT, he doesn't do that and they don't need a last minute drive. It would be very interesting to see all the big 12 south top dogs fall...only 1 more to go.

In the mean time let's all revel in the greatness that is Ball St vs Tulsa!!! And why the hell is that game this late in the bowl season?

EDIT: Obviously Texas won...not sure where my head was in that comment about all going down. Oh, I must have been thinking that UT's goal for the bowl game was to assert that they deserve to be in the title game. In that regard, FAIL. Yeah that's what I was thinking.

Really??? He threw for 414 yards, 2 tds (including a game winner with 16 ticks left), rushed for 1 td and completed 70% of his passes against one of the top defenses in the country...you're right, what a terrible game. Can't win a Heisman with stats like that.

Really? That was his lowest passer rating of the season, and lower than every single game that this year's Heisman winner had to boot. But, I suppose compared to that rushing attack, McCoy did look good.

Lucky for the horns, they got to play OSU, instead of having to play USC, Utah, Florida or OU. Now, Mack can vote the horns No.1, and we can listen to horn fans tell us how good the Big 10 is. :lol:

Passer ratings are for people who don't watch football games....see Colt's stat line in my post above.

Also, a correction. We DID played OU and beat them by two scores...why do people have such a hard time with this???

IT was a good close game. Surprisingly. But it shouldn't have been.

Even though I was entertained, I fail to see how t.u. has any right to try to claim half the national title. They would have had to cream osu, like they were supposed to, to even attempt to have as much claim as utah for a split championship.

utah destroyed a team that was #1 for 5 weeks from a conference that was tied for best in the country. They'll be the only undefeated team this season.

texas almost lost to a number 10 ranked team from a weak and constantly overrated conference... an at-large team that wouldnt have even been invited to a BCS game had OregonSt beat Oregon a month ago... a team that should have been in the Outback or Alamo bowl

Gig'em Sooners... Gig'em Ball St.

Edit : Just because the longhorns were screwed in the rankings a month ago and lost a worthiness decision to OU that could have gone either way.... does not mean that they are now entitled to some small claim on the championship for barely beating a nobody team.

Edited by Highway6

General football comment/question:

I realized last night that I never see college football offenses go in motion. Is it against the rules or just too complicated for them?

it is not against the rules, UT and Ohio St. are just conservative and do not do it. So for them, yes it is too complicated.

IT was a good close game. Surprisingly. But it shouldn't have been.

Even though I was entertained, I fail to see how t.u. has any right to try to claim half the national title. They would have had to cream osu, like they were supposed to, to even attempt to have as much claim as utah for a split championship.

utah destroyed a team that was #1 for 5 weeks from a conference that was tied for best in the country. They'll be the only undefeated team this season.

texas almost lost to a number 10 ranked team from a weak and constantly overrated conference... an at-large team that wouldnt have even been invited to a BCS game had OregonSt beat Oregon a month ago... a team that should have been in the Outback or Alamo bowl

Gig'em Sooners... Gig'em Ball St.

Edit : Just because the longhorns were screwed in the rankings a month ago and lost a worthiness decision to OU that could have gone either way.... does not mean that they are now entitled to some small claim on the championship for barely beating a nobody team.

I agree Utah has the best claim to a national title, but they only beat an at large team as well, and UT is only an at large team themselves. Did anyone on here say they now deserve a share of the national title??? Maybe I missed it.

Why are you pulling for the Sooners??? If you are an Aggie, what good comes of an OU victory for you? It only makes it more difficult for you to recruit in your own state, do you really think you need that right now with the state of your program?

Why on earth would you ever pull for the Sooners???? There is zero reason to do so...if you are still hoping for a split AP title that went out the window with the showing last night and the Utah win.

Never pull for the Sooners, it can only bring bad things for UT. OU is the devil, don't ever forget it.

I like it. I hate it when people go all conference-homer on teams they actually hate. I am an LSU guy, but screw it, I want Auburn and Alabama to lose no matter how bad it makes the SEC look.

Really??? He threw for 414 yards, 2 tds (including a game winner with 16 ticks left), rushed for 1 td and completed 70% of his passes against one of the top defenses in the country...you're right, what a terrible game. Can't win a Heisman with stats like that.

Stats don't make a Heisman winner, just ask Graham Harrell or Colt Brennan. And he did a great job on the last drive to seal the deal. But as an impartial observer last night, I didn't feel like I was watching the best player in the country last night. Beanie Wells was more impressive, and that's hard for me to say.

I realized last night that I never see college football offenses go in motion. Is it against the rules or just too complicated for them?

There were several plays with players in motion last night. Most players come set before the snap though. It depends on the style of offense. Some teams use a tight end in motion on run plays. If you have a superstar wideout/flanker like Percy Harvin, you get him moving just to shake things up and to give the option of handing off or shovel pass. Anyway, it's not against the rules. One player can be in motion during the snap, as long as they aren't moving forward.

Edited by 20thStDad

It is really simple to me, the #1 team in the country should be the one with the best loss.

That team is....

UTAH for not having one.

Sorry Horns, but beating a 12-1 Alabama team in the Sugar Bowl (SEC turf) in a blowout (it was 21-0 before the 4th commercial break) is a helluva lot more impressive than needing a td with 16 seconds left to beat 10-2 Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl.

Ohio State lost to USC 35-3. They lost at home to Penn State 13-6. Yet, they hung 21 on the Horns?

Hell, Ohio State had 203 rushing yards last night against the Horns. Yet, they only had 207 TOTAL yards versus USC!

And please get off of the "Texas wasn't as psyched about the Fiesta... or Tech was bummed to have to play in the Cotton... or Okie State wanted better than the Holiday... or Mizzou woulda skunked Northwestern instead of needing OT if they had really been into the game..."

I agree Utah has the best claim to a national title, but they only beat an at large team as well, and UT is only an at large team themselves. Did anyone on here say they now deserve a share of the national title??? Maybe I missed it.

Mack Brown did. And for the horns to take such a pedestrian approach to the possibility of a split national championship, as Brown was clearly pimping for, makes no sense. Here was their chance to show the world the mistake that was made by picking OU over UT and they lay an egg. -9 yards rushing in the 1st half? McCoy threw the ball 59 times to get that 414, and he threw it because they HAD to, not because they wanted to. But, give him credit, he'll make a fine backup QB for some NFL team. I hear the Titans are looking for one.

Why are you pulling for the Sooners??? If you are an Aggie, what good comes of an OU victory for you? It only makes it more difficult for you to recruit in your own state, do you really think you need that right now with the state of your program?

As an Aggie, we always want OU to win b/c it pisses off the 'horns. We're connected to OU in our mutual hatred :)

OU will out-recruit us next year whether they win this game or not. I'm under no false illusions as to where our program is in relation to ou or tu.

that being said.. i rooted for texas to beat osu.. i'd root for texas to beat florida if they were in the game.

I certainly don't love ou.. but at this point, it does make the whole big xii look stronger, and by association, a&m, if the big xii beats up on the sec.

all season long.. its been big xii vs sec...which conference is #1. this year that question gets to be settled in the championship game and I'm going to root for my conference.

tech is an exception to this rule.. $@#@! tech.. i was happy my ole miss pick paid off so well.

Colt's last drive to win in the 4th quarter was definately "Heisman Worthy". I told you guys OSU would give Texas all they could handle though. Very good bowl game. I hate Woody Hayes and his followers, I couldn't be happier that OSU lost the way they did.

Edited by TJones

Colt's last drive to win in the 4th quarter was definately "Heisman Worthy". I told you guys OSU would give them Texas all they could handle though. Very good bowl game. I hate Woody Hayes and his followers, I couldn't be happier that OSU lost the way they did.

6 months in Austin and TJ is already drunk on the longhorn kool-aid. So sad. :lol:

The reason Longhorn fans want OU to win is only because they beat OU, so it makes the Longhorns look good. That is the only good reason why i see Longhorns want OU to win.

If that happens who will get the media attention and the trophy to show all the incoming recruits??? BlowU...I am telling you man, don't do it, screw the Big 12 vs. SEC, that doesn't mean anything and will never be an argument that can be truly settled.

Mack Brown did. And for the horns to take such a pedestrian approach to the possibility of a split national championship, as Brown was clearly pimping for, makes no sense. Here was their chance to show the world the mistake that was made by picking OU over UT and they lay an egg. -9 yards rushing in the 1st half? McCoy threw the ball 59 times to get that 414, and he threw it because they HAD to, not because they wanted to. But, give him credit, he'll make a fine backup QB for some NFL team. I hear the Titans are looking for one.

I have stated before that Ohio State was a bad matchup for Texas, Florida would actually be better. USC would be a bad matchup as well. If you watched UT, you would know that we have struggled to run the ball all year and Davis' running scheme is not working (though it worked pretty well against OU : )

And, you would also know that Greg Davis IS the short pass, that is all he does, and all he has ever done besides accidentally discovering the zone read with VY. So 59 for 414 is actually pretty understandable against a secondary that tackles very, very well.

If that happens who will get the media attention and the trophy to show all the incoming recruits??? BlowU...I am telling you man, don't do it, screw the Big 12 vs. SEC, that doesn't mean anything and will never be an argument that can be truly settled.

I have money on OU... is that a good enough reason for ya ??

I have stated before that Ohio State was a bad matchup for Texas, Florida would actually be better. USC would be a bad matchup as well. If you watched UT, you would know that we have struggled to run the ball all year and Davis' running scheme is not working (though it worked pretty well against OU : )

And, you would also know that Greg Davis IS the short pass, that is all he does, and all he has ever done besides accidentally discovering the zone read with VY. So 59 for 414 is actually pretty understandable against a secondary that tackles very, very well.

This should go without saying, but a "bad matchup" suggests that they should not be ranked No. 1. (Again, this is in response to Mack Brown's vote, not yours.)

Not many people in Big 12 country agree, but I think Florida's quickness would blow UT...and I think OU...away. They are flat out speedsters. But, we'll see if that is the case on Thursday.

As for the conference thing, I am not that simple. I pick and choose who I root against. I normally root for the Big 10 to get steamrolled, due to the constant overrrating of the conference. But, the UT hype this year caused me to mildly root for the buckeyes. In actuality, they both kind of stunk, so it worked out well. I've rooted against Stoops ever since the 2003 debacle. 77-0 doesn't faze this Aggie. And, anathema as it sounds to Aggies, I generally root for Tech and LSU. I despise Notre Dame (must be those Catholic school memories) and Alabama (a bit TOO redneck for this Carolina boy), but I love USC (the Song Girl sweaters got me). The best part of the Rose Bowl was they played the fight song over and over and over (can't stand Penn State either).

And please get off of the "Texas wasn't as psyched about the Fiesta... or Tech was bummed to have to play in the Cotton... or Okie State wanted better than the Holiday... or Mizzou woulda skunked Northwestern instead of needing OT if they had really been into the game..."

Um, are you really going to say that motivation in football does not impact an outcome? In bowl games more than anything else, you should bet accordingly. Seriously, free tip.

This should go without saying, but a "bad matchup" suggests that they should not be ranked No. 1. (Again, this is in response to Mack Brown's vote, not yours.)

Every team has a "bad matchup"...Ole Miss' D line and ball control against Florida...Oregon St had a small, fast back and an excellent running scheme against USC, Texas' first half play calling against a suprisingly fast Tech D line, OU's special teams and defense against anyone, Even Utah wouldn't be where they were if TCU had a kicker...When there isn't a 95 Nebraska, everyone can have a bad matchup.

6 months in Austin and TJ is already drunk on the longhorn kool-aid. So sad.

Quit being sooooo bitter . There is always next year for your Ags, I am rooting for you girls... I mean guys.

I think A&M should first focus on beating their in-state rivals before worrying about making it to a bowl game. Remember, baby steps. :lol::P

Besides, you know I'm a Southern Miss. fan, who just happen to win the N.O. Bowl this year. ;)

Every team has a "bad matchup"...Ole Miss' D line and ball control against Florida...Oregon St had a small, fast back and an excellent running scheme against USC, Texas' first half play calling against a suprisingly fast Tech D line, OU's special teams and defense against anyone, Even Utah wouldn't be where they were if TCU had a kicker...When there isn't a 95 Nebraska, everyone can have a bad matchup.

All I have to say, is that if you desire to be called No.1 or No.2, this means that you can line up against ANYBODY and the "matchup" ain't gonna matter, you will dominate.

All I have to say, is that if you desire to be called No.1 or No.2, this means that you can line up against ANYBODY and the "matchup" ain't gonna matter, you will dominate.

And I am saying that team does not exist this year, and doesn't exist in most sports, but they all still crown a champion every season.

He lead his team to victory in a BCS game with less than 2 minutes left and 80 yards to go. Did you see his rushing TD(100th TD) it was Vince like with the spin move and touch down. I will play Utah anyday who beat an overrated Bama Team! OU already had a taste and they dont want no more!!!!!!! We will do USC like Vince did in 2005! Florida's Quterback is 4th best at most if you want to look at the statistics. Its Fact even though voters dont want to believe it. GO HORNS :D

That interception to end the 1st half was horrendous. I turned it off after that...glad to hear the 2nd half was more interesting.

You should've seen the Utah game. The entire offensive line went into motion!