Sugar Land Cultural Entertainment District

Fringe

Geez, this is difficult. Look at my posts, I mention affluent. That's what I'm discussing. I'm not arguing LunaticFringe's exact point, I'm arguing my own.

If you aren't arguing LunaticFringe's point then why did you start your post with "[a]ctually, he's right"?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I made that statement based on an article I read in the newspaper a couple of years ago that said my kid's high school (Kempner) was the most culturally diverse public high school in the United States. That kind of tells me we live in a very diverse community. I didn't bother to delve into census figures and the likes. Did not know everything I said was going to be scrutinized so heavily. I will try to locate the article and post it if I'm able.

And just because Houston has less white people doesn't make it more diverse.

60% of one ethnicity makes Sugar Land less diverse than Houston. Kempner is more diverse than Sugar Land, but my problem with your post was the claim that Sugar Land is the most culturally diverse community in the US.

60% of one ethnicity makes Sugar Land less diverse than Houston. Kempner is more diverse than Sugar Land, but my problem with your post was the claim that Sugar Land is the most culturally diverse community in the US.

You take things way to literally and totally out of context so it's obviously useless to argue with you. Hopefully someone that actually has some knowledge of Sugar Land's new entertainment district will chime in and steer this thread back on course.

Why have you been arguing with me if you didn't intend for your posts to be taken literally?

If we're going to torture each other by taking things perfectly literally, I might point out that ethnic diversity and cultural diversity are not necessarily the same thing. I can drive 50 miles outside of Houston in any given direction and stumble into a different flavor of poor white 'Bubba', for example. In fact, memebag, I would hope that a whacky contrarian like yourself might take pleasure in deconstructing the whole concept of both ethnicity and culture.

I would also point out that to whatever extent someone tried to take ethnic diversity as a proxy for cultural diversity, Sugar Land does appear to be more diverse if you look at the sheer number of ethnic categories with representation exceeding 5.2%. The same appears to hold true if you adjust the criterion downward, presumably to beyond half of a percent.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I don't mean to defend LunaticFringe or ProHouston, I just want to rub your nose in your own excrement because its fun and because I'm an insomniac with nothing better to do right now.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I don't mean to defend LunaticFringe or ProHouston, I just want to rub your nose in your own excrement because its fun and because I'm an insomniac with nothing better to do right now.

Thank you, sweetie.

Saw the article. Sounds pretty cool. 6500 is not as big as I had wished but will get some semi-major acts here. All in all is sounds like a pretty exciting project.

When Houston becomes over 60% Hispanic in just a few years as predicted, then I will recognize it's diversity. :P

Saw the article. Sounds pretty cool. 6500 is not as big as I had wished but will get some semi-major acts here. All in all is sounds like a pretty exciting project.

Oh, I don't know. It's just a couple seats shy of 15,000.

Semi-major acts is code for washed up formerly popular bands. Normally, they are booked at the 6,500 seat Reliant Arena. Guess I'll have to go to Sugarland to see Marilyn Manson now.

Oh, I don't know. It's just a couple seats shy of 15,000.

Semi-major acts is code for washed up formerly popular bands. Normally, they are booked at the 6,500 seat Reliant Arena. Guess I'll have to go to Sugarland to see Marilyn Manson now.

:lol::lol::lol:

\

Hmm. Lets see what "major" acts are coming to Houston in the next few months. Carlos Mencia, Neil Diamond, Janet Jackson, Metalica, Celin Dion and I almost forgot - Madonna.

Maybe he's working with the "Texas Diversity" they make fun of on King of the Hill.

Regular Diversity:

25% White American

15% Black

10% Chinese

10% Mexican

9% Indian

8% Pacific Islander

8% Middle Eastern

6% Russian

6% Filipino

6% Japanese

Texas Diversity:

60% White

39% Hispanic

1% Other

When Houston becomes over 60% Hispanic in just a few years as predicted, then I will recognize it's diversity. :P

I would hold your celebration until it actually gets build. I hope that I'm wrong, but my guess is that this will get scaled back when reality sets in.

BTW, when Houston becomes over 60% Hispanic, won't it be less diverse?

Attached another article on this.

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/20...r_land.php#more

Calling this Sugar Land's Great Leap Forward is outstanding. :lol:

Madonna - Minute Maid Park

Yeah, you coulda had that one.

Neil Diamond - Toyata Center

Yeah, he woulda done Zuckerland, but they were booked up.

Janet Jackson - American Airlines Center in DALLAS

Zuckerland's 6500 seats coulds beat them out.

Celine Dion - Toyota Center

She wanted the "intimate" confines of Sugarland, but alas...

Carlos Mencia

Metallica

Clearly, our definitions of "major" differ.

So, out of all of your bands, perhaps only Mencia would fit into a 6,500 seat arena, but 6,500 is probably too large for him. So, was there a point to be made here, other than to prove that none of these acts would be booked at Zuckerland?

You TOTALLY missed the point I was trying to make. With those acts, who needs major bands?

I would hold your celebration until it actually gets build. I hope that I'm wrong, but my guess is that this will get scaled back when reality sets in.

BTW, when Houston becomes over 60% Hispanic, won't it be less diverse?

I was being sarcastic when I said that.

Okay, because I've lived here my whole life and I can honestly say that it's never once occurred to me to be jealous of Sugar Land. I suppose other peoples' mileage may vary... :lol:

The ONLY thing Houston has to be jealous of is Sugar Land's taxes. (.30 vs .65)

But don't tell anyone I said that.

• 3 weeks later...

I have lived in both SL and Houston and have to say I like both but there are things I hate about Houston and only things I dislike about SL.

A 6500 seat arena seems dumb to me...I love live music but your either a big act or pretty much a small act. There aren't enough acts that can come close to filling up 6500 seats IMO?

Toyoto Center sucks for live music IMO. I have been to Kid Rock and Mettalica and both were not loud and they stopped serving beer at like 9pm? WTF?

• 1 year later...

This sounds really cool. I would love to see a good indoor concert venue in Sugar Land that could support major acts. Houston sure doesn't have one. I'm assuming this would all be built out by the river.�

Thanks to lockmat for the link he posted about this under minor league baseball.�

link to article

Is there a thread especially for the baseball stadium? I've been looking forever and can't find it.

The May 18 deadline to reach an agreement on the details of a Sugar Land baseball stadium and minor league team is nearing — but city officials remain quiet on whether an agreement will be inked by then.

The city entered an exclusive 90-day negotiating period in February with Opening Day Partners, a Lancaster, Pa.-based ballpark developer. City officials say they will release the status of the deal at the end of that period.

“It’s our intent to get to an agreement with them by then, but if we’re unable to we will certainly continue negotiating with them,” said Regina Morales, the city’s director of economic development.

ODP Chairman Peter Kirk, who has been traveling regularly to the city for talks, expressed optimism.

The agreement would pave the way to open a multi-purpose ballpark in Sugar Land’s planned Cultural Entertainment District by the 2012 season.

Assuming a contract is finalized with ODP, Kirk said the next steps would be to open an office in Sugar Land and launch a “name the team” contest.

The community also would be involved in stadium design. No details are finalized, he said, but officials are looking at a stadium that would seat 7,000 for ball games and 9,500 for concerts and other events.

Design work would be finished by December or January and ground breaking for construction would be in early spring.

The Sugar Land team would hold local tryouts, but most players would be drafted from the league the city decides to join. Two contenders are the American Association and the Atlantic League.

http://www.ultimatefortbend.com/2010/05/whats-latest-stadium-sugar-land

Sorry for posting half the story, lots of relevant/interesting info.

Archived