Sugar Land Cultural Entertainment District

Fringe

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure what you mean by "Houston sure doesn't have one". Last time I checked there were quite a few.

Not for big venues. Houston has lots of great clubs and small halls for lesser knowns but nothing worth a damn for really popular acts. (Please don't even mention the Toyota Center. The accoustics there are terrible).

This sounds really cool. I would love to see a good indoor concert venue in Sugar Land that could support major acts. Houston sure doesn't have one. I'm assuming this would all be built out by the river.

Thanks to lockmat for the link he posted about this under minor league baseball.

link to article

This sounds great, but it's short on detail. Does anyone have anything more that they can share on this?

Not for big venues. Houston has lots of great clubs and small halls for lesser knowns but nothing worth a damn for really popular acts. (Please don't even mention the Toyota Center. The accoustics there are terrible).

I don't understand what you're talking about. How many seats are you looking for for "really popular acts"?

I don't understand what you're talking about. How many seats are you looking for for "really popular acts"?

15,000-20,000 seating. I'm talking about the acts that get booked now at Cynthia Woods. Me, I hate paying a small fortune to sit outside in the heat and/or rain to see a concert. Not to mention the 50 mile trip up crowded 45 to the Woodlands. Houston lost it's one venue for this when the Summit became the Godatorium.

15,000-20,000 seating. I'm talking about the acts that get booked now at Cynthia Woods. Me, I hate paying a small fortune to sit outside in the heat and/or rain to see a concert. Not to mention the 50 mile trip up crowded 45 to the Woodlands. Houston lost it's one venue for this when the Summit became the Godatorium.

But Houston replaced it with the Toyota Center. You say that has bad acoustics, but they're no worse than the Summit. What 15,000 seat indoor venue has good acoustics? I'm not aware of any.

But Houston replaced it with the Toyota Center. You say that has bad acoustics, but they're no worse than the Summit. What 15,000 seat indoor venue has good acoustics? I'm not aware of any.

Actually the Summit had fairly good accoustics for it's size. It was no Music Hall, mind you, but it wasn't bad. I've been to a couple of concerts at the Toyota Center. Not impressed.

Actually the Summit had fairly good accoustics for it's size. It was no Music Hall, mind you, but it wasn't bad. I've been to a couple of concerts at the Toyota Center. Not impressed. I should have said 5,000 - 15,000. Anything over that is probably getting a bit to big. And we need something built for concerts and other stage productions. Not for sports.

A 15,000 seat venue that doesn't do sports isn't economically viable anywhere, and Sugar Land is no exception.

I love the way Sugarland has with names. Cultural Entertainment District sounds so very Eastern Bloc. I expect to see lots of folk dancing in historically correct outfits. Will it be located next to the Lifestyle Center?

Now is the time in Cultural Entertainment District when we dance.

I disagree. We are talking about the 4th largest city/area in the US. I believe a 5,000-15,000 venue is doable. Sure it would help if it was multi-purpose. But with emphasis on accoustics and seating.

It doesn't matter how big Houston is, there's not enough money in concerts to support something like that.

It doesn't matter how big Houston is, there's not enough money in concerts to support something like that.

I disagree with your disagreement of my disagreement. :D

Cynthia Woods seems to be profitable. I'll admit it would cost more initially for an indoor venue but believe me, Sugar Land has the bucks.

Cynthia Woods seems to be profitable. I'll admit it would cost more initially for an indoor venue but believe me, Sugar Land has the bucks.

The initial cost isn't the issue - it's the operating expenses. An indoor venue needs AC. It doesn't make economic sense.

Huh? Reliant Stadium is a sports arena with a retractable roof and guaranteed revenue.

Looking at the grand scheme of things, Reliant, Minute Maid, neither are used all year round. Both have retractable roofs that are rarely used so they must have huge AC bills, thus with your thinking cannot possibly be economically feasible, yet they seem to be so I'll stick to my original statement, thank you.

Looking at the grand scheme of things, Reliant, Minute Maid, neither are used all year round. Both have retractable roofs that are rarely used so they must have huge AC bills, thus with your thinking cannot possibly be economically feasible, yet they seem to be so I'll stick to my original statement, thank you.

They have guaranteed dates for entire sports seasons, and both of them open the roof as often as possible.

Name some 15,000 seat indoor concert halls anywhere in the world. I can't find any.

I understand your point, but just to clarify - you're talking about an enclosed 5-15,000 seat dedicated performing arts theater with no resident performing arts company that is located in a suburban community?

I honestly can't think of an indoor venue anywhere in the country that meets that criteria without being configured to also handle sporting events.

I can also tell you that I have lived in multiple communities that have explored this option and none of them have found it economically feasible to built anything larger than 3,000 seats. Most opt for a center with multiple smaller theaters or configuration options that will enable anything from small to midsize capacity.

Even Orange County, CA (population of three million and part of the second largest MSA in the country) opted for a 2,700 seat performing arts center.

The economics just aren't there.

Not trying to be an ass, but why hasn't anyone brought up the Stafford Centre? Yeah, yeah, Stafford =/= Sugar Land, but it's right. there. Might as well be Sugar Land. And I know it only seats 1,100 in the main theatre, but all that aside... It's a nice performing arts center, and it's very, very close to this magical "Sugar Land Cultural Entertainment District."

Sugar Land simply doesn't merit having anything larger than this right now. And Houston has plenty of great venues for live music, including the intimate Verizon Theater downtown (which also hasn't been mentioned yet). For the super-mega-huge bands, they can play at Toyota Center or Cynthia Woods Mitchell and sacrifice some of the acoustics. That's the tradeoff when you start playing larger venues, as has already been noted. Sorry, Charlie.

Since the article never mentioned a capacity for this concert venue, I can only assume that LunaticFringe's 15,000 to 20,000 seat comment was his own idea. Toyota Center was built 5 years ago at a cost of $200 million. Construction costs have skyrocketed since then. I'll be waiting breathlessly for the 15,000 seat arena that Sugar Land proposes. :lol:

Not trying to be an ass, but why hasn't anyone brought up the Stafford Centre? Yeah, yeah, Stafford =/= Sugar Land, but it's right. there. Might as well be Sugar Land. And I know it only seats 1,100 in the main theatre, but all that aside... It's a nice performing arts center, and it's very, very close to this magical "Sugar Land Cultural Entertainment District."

Sugar Land simply doesn't merit having anything larger than this right now. And Houston has plenty of great venues for live music, including the intimate Verizon Theater downtown (which also hasn't been mentioned yet). For the super-mega-huge bands, they can play at Toyota Center or Cynthia Woods Mitchell and sacrifice some of the acoustics. That's the tradeoff when you start playing larger venues, as has already been noted. Sorry, Charlie.

And don't forget the eventual competition from the new Dynamo Stadium. It is virtually assured to have a stage built into one end since the Dynamo are owned (for now) by AEG.

Archived