Favorite Kitchen Appliance Brands

i have all thermador appliances in my kitchen and I only chose the brand for the stove cook top. i wanted everything to match so i chose all thermador but the refridgerator is really a re-badged kitchen aid, the dishwasher a bosch and the microwave is a sharp.

That's really interesting Felamy. I knew that KitchenAid was the parent company of some luxury brand, I just couldn't remember which one. I've always thought KitchenAid in itself was a very highly recognized brand (i.e. a tier above regular GE, Whirlpool, etc.).

I liken a lot of these luxury brands to Lexus, Acura and Infiniti, they all come from a more well-known manufacturer.

The Neptune front loaders had (and may still have) MAJOR, MAJOR problems.

Maytag has made some good washing machines. I have a Maytag washer/dryer combo from the 1960s, and I know there are many more like mine still out there in use.

That said, I think front-loading washing machines are a really stupid idea. You are basically asking for a flood in your house when the door gasket wears out. Top loading machines present less of a risk.

Maytag has made some good washing machines. I have a Maytag washer/dryer combo from the 1960s, and I know there are many more like mine still out there in use.

Yes...they made some reliable equipment back in the day but the unreliability of the Neptune line put them in VERY poor financial shape leading to their eventual takeover by none other than WHIRLPOOL. That's right....WHIRLPOOL owns Maytag.

That said, I think front-loading washing machines are a really stupid idea. You are basically asking for a flood in your house when the door gasket wears out. Top loading machines present less of a risk.

A flood? No. Maybe a trickle. The water level in every front loader I've ever seen barely comes up to the bottom of the door opening.

We recently remodeled our kitchen and I went from GE appliances to Jenn-Air. My MIL talked me into going with the Jenn-Air... she had them in her kitchen for about 15 years and they remodeled 2 months before we did and replaced everything with new Jenn-Air. I went with the Euro-design micro & double wall oven, and the professional something stove that has the knobs down front. I like the features and look of all of it. Good luck!

I just bought a GE fridge. It was a unexpected purchase due to massive malfunction and leakage in the freezer of the old one, so I hope I chose well. I got the GE because it was the size I needed in the configuration I wanted that could be delivered in less than 2 weeks. When you're buying on the small side, there are not a lot of options. Irritating, really. Why can't I get good design in a 19 or 20 cu. ft model as in the 25 cu. foot model? Smaller should be good, too! Well, I could, but I didn't have time or money for a custom appliance. I hope I picked well. It's far nicer than the dead fridge, (side by sides SUCK, especially those ones with water in the door. such poor use of space) but I've never had a GE fridge.

BTW, I'm on my second GE washer/dryer set, and have been very happy with those.

Now I'm just thankful to have a subfloor, so there is someting between me and the critters until this weekend when I can get around to finding oak planks to match the 10 inch by 4 foot section that just got ripped out because of water damage. :angry:

I just bought a GE fridge. It was a unexpected purchase due to massive malfunction and leakage in the freezer of the old one, so I hope I chose well. I got the GE because it was the size I needed in the configuration I wanted that could be delivered in less than 2 weeks. When you're buying on the small side, there are not a lot of options.

Next time check out Samsung. I have an 18.8 cu. ft. Samsung that fits perfectly in my hobbit built house. Features:

• French doors.
  • The fridge is over the freezer.
  • No door water spouts or any of that nonsense.
  • 2 indepentent refrigeration systems.
  • Independent temperature controls on the outside.
  • Blue LED read out showing the current temperature in both sections.
  • Sucks the air out when you close the door and dries it to prevent frost.
  • Has an ice maker.
  • Can make the freezer so cold that ice will freeze most of the water out of a Coke, leaving sickly sweet, flat syrup. I don't do that anymore since it's annoying and makes ice cream too hard to eat without microwaving it.

All of that, and it was just $750. I love Samsung appliances. It got some sort of J. D. Power award, too.

I've done some more research and found out that there are very few objective websites that review appliances. Mostly it's about people complaining (b*tching) about the problems they're having, instead of a pro/con review.

These are what I've decided upon and reasons why:

Dishwasher: Still sticking with Bosch - A European brand that has been super-successful with efficient appliances. Consistently at the top of the reviews that I've been able to muster.

Fridge: KitchenAid (French Door 24.8 CF) - Fortunately, I don't need a counter-depth refridgerator and this refridgerator seems to serve the best of both worlds for me (looks, capacity, features and reputation). Btw, KitchenAid is actually made by Whirlpool and I haven't been able to find anything about KitchenAid making Thermador appliances.

Microwave and Wall Oven: Again, KitchenAid. Mainly because of looks and features, but the reviews I've been able to find say that KitchenAid is actually a low performer for their convection ovens. I love how their microwaves have the door that opens down. If Bosch, GE or Frigidaire had this feature, it would be a homerun.

Washer/Dryer: Bosch - Super-efficient and consistently at the top of the reviews. (GE and Frigidaire Affinity have also been up there too).

Hopefully this helps someone, since there is definitely a lack of resources to search for reviews online!

I factored looks highly for these appliances, hoping to get a little bit extra on the resale value of the home (when that comes around). I'm betting that most buyers are not performance geeks like myself and more concerned with design of their homes!

As long as it works, who's complaining?! :)

As for the cooktop, since I have a downdraft system, I'm kind of stuck with either GE or Jenn-Air. I'm leaning towards the GE.

I love how their microwaves have the door that opens down. If Bosch, GE or Frigidaire had this feature, it would be a homerun.

As for the cooktop, since I have a downdraft system, I'm kind of stuck with either GE or Jenn-Air. I'm leaning towards the GE.

I know it will be tough for a longhorn to take advice from an Aggie, but here's my 2-cents....

Regarding the microwave, GE does have a microwave that the door opens down - their Advantium series - and also acts as a convection oven. We went with it so that we could gain some of the benefits of a double oven. We use it as a microwave mostly but have used the convection oven numerous times when we needed a second oven. It's also big enough to cook a full casserole dish. I highly recommend it - it's pricey but no more than a second oven.

I'm curious about why you are stuck with GE or Jenn-Air on the downdraft. If you have the room behind your cooktop 2-3 inches approx, then you might be able to use a telescoping downdraft such as what Broan/Nutone makes and tie that into your vent. If you can, then you can use the cooktop of your choice. I went with a Dacor gas range with my Broan downdraft. Dacor makes a downdraft and so does GE but Dacor is twice the price and the GE downdraft seemed a lower quality and Broan's specialty is ventilation systems.

And to complete the rest of the appliances, Kenmore (on sale at Sears) for fridge, GE Profile for dishwasher & washer & Dryer & wall oven.

When I was looking for downdraft cooktops, I heard some complaints on the telescoping vents. It was the usual stuff, spring mechanism sticks, assorted other moving parts did not perform well. Personally, I did not like how they looked, and as aggie92 notes, you need 2 or 3 inches that I did not wish to give up on my island. I went JennAir. Subjectively, I thought it looked better, too. And, I love the gas grill built in.

No hard feelings on the Aggies from me! I'm welcome to hear anybodies advice/opinions!

I do like the GE Advantium series...the design of the microwave door opening downwards is pretty cool.

I'm trying to make ado with my current cooktop now, since I just spent about $7k on appliances!

Well, I couldn't wait to finally get GE Profile appliances, and now that I have them, I am less than impressed with some of the appliances. I like my fridge. I think that every cheap dishwasher I have had in the past does a better job than the Profile that I have now (leaves lots of residue). The overhead microwave/vent hood is so noisy that I don't use it. I don't have any complaints yet about the stove or oven.

Archived