Uptown Condominium Market

Any thoughts on which of the many Galleria area highrise condos is the best in terms of the location, amenities, views of the city, etc?

I am including soon to be built buildings like Titan and Turnberry in this, not just already build condos.

I appreciate any thoughts/opinions?

• Like 1

Any thoughts on which of the many Galleria area highrise condos is the best in terms of the location, amenities, views of the city, etc?

I am including soon to be built buildings like Titan and Turnberry in this, not just already build condos.

If you have money to blow, Turnberry sounds like the best location of them all.

If you have money to blow, Turnberry sounds like the best location of them all.

Titan is on hold right now, so it might not be built. There are so many high-rises in Galleria area, I personally prefer Mosaic (obviously) or the Royalton at River Oaks, 2727 Kirby, but if I had to choose one in the Galleria I guess the Cosmopolitan or Montabello would be the winner.

i've been hearing for months that the turnberry is off. not surprised to hear about titan, even though i am disappointed... really liked the design.

Randall Davis has yet to have a building not built.

And the Turnberry not only has a super expensive office shack, but billboards all around town. They seem determined to make this building happen.

I rented an apartment at 1200 Post Oak for 2 years before moving to Pearland.... Loved the location and amenities of the place; So if budget is not a problem I would go for the same area with same type of amenities at

http://www.houstonmontebello.com/ or Villa d'Este

Edited by Chamo

Is there like old money and new money in the condo markets? I am specifically thinking about the older buildings further north (the twin towers with the reddish, pyramidal tops and even the other building further up by the horse stables).

Do they kinda resent the newer developments further south, or are they happy to co-exist with them?

With the older buildings you run into a very high monthly maintenance fee. I think Four Leaf runs over 40 cents a sq ft. The best ones in my opinion without money being an option -- The Huntingdon hands down. The monthlies are awful though.

Other than that anything by Interfin or Randall Davis. Four Leaf, Villa d Este, Montebello, Manhattan, Empire, or the Cosmopolitan.

Also been a sucker for the Houstonian. All the luxuries of the hotel at your finger tips and included in the fee.

Looking to save green go to the Campton at Post Oak. Great units and cheaper per month.

Other than this I have been to the Bristol and it is great. A lot of foreclosures in there though. You wonder if the maintenance fee will be hit because of no one paying it. Maybe theyll fire the valet.

Ah, yes .. the four leaf. Thanks for that run down.

It's not like I can afford any of them at this moment ... but it's nice to dream.

• 4 months later...

I don't think it was ever much more than an idea tossed out there as one possibility for the use of the Macy's space on Sage... before Macy's decided to stay in the building keep operating it. FWIW, I agree, it does seem very odd to operate two full-line Macy's in the same mall. I guess it's working for them. I keep thinking they must have something else in mind for the long term, like maybe remodeling the Macy's on Sage into a Bloomingdale's in conjunction with a major fix, somehow of the Galleria 3 space. Surely someone Simon is working on some concepts to make better use of that space...

Don't take this too seriously, but they should probably remodel one half of Saks and then rebuild that half onto the parking lot. Put maybe a few shops onto the side that's now gone and now you have a complete opening to Galleria III. When I go to the Galleria I always stop at Saks. I forget that there is more to the mall on the other side, but that's the developer's fault. Some bad planning there.

Don't take this too seriously, but they should probably remodel one half of Saks and then rebuild that half onto the parking lot. Put maybe a few shops onto the side that's now gone and now you have a complete opening to Galleria III. When I go to the Galleria I always stop at Saks. I forget that there is more to the mall on the other side, but that's the developer's fault. Some bad planning there.

Agreed. I guess it worked initially, when that was the first and only Macy's in Texas, Macy's was apparently enough of a draw to pull the crowds through the then-Marshall Field's store to Galleria III.

editor is correct, it was the lord & taylor space. simon spoke to a couple of developers several years ago but couldnt make a deal work.

The idea of residential was also tossed out regarding the Macy's space when the Macy's/May Co. transaction was first announced and Macy's said they would be closing the original Galleria Macy's.

The idea of residential was also tossed out regarding the Macy's space when the Macy's/May Co. transaction was first announced and Macy's said they would be closing the original Galleria Macy's.

That's true, we had a discussion about it here. I don't think it would have been a bad idea, but of course in today's economy it would probably be a non-starter.

which started because of the behind the scenes L&T space discussions. i know some groups that spent a good of amount of money on preliminary drawings and underwriting, so it was more "than an idea tossed out". none of the players were interested in their terms, so simon went public with their desire to redevelop macys.

dont always take everything you read in the paper as gospel. 9 out of 10 times, there are ulterior motives.

;)

which started because of the behind the scenes L&T space discussions. i know some groups that spent a good of amount of money on preliminary drawings and underwriting, so it was more "than an idea tossed out". none of the players were interested in their terms, so simon went public with their desire to redevelop macys.

dont always take everything you read in the paper as gospel. 9 out of 10 times, there are ulterior motives.

;)

That doesn't really make much sense, but, whatever... ;-)

• 1 month later...
I don't think this phrase is accurate anymore...

Here, have a cookie . . .

CaptainobviousChooseOption.jpg

Randall Davis will resurrect the Titan when the economy is good and ready.

Randall Davis has yet to have a building not built.

And the Turnberry not only has a super expensive office shack, but billboards all around town. They seem determined to make this building happen.

Damn how thing change in 6 months. . . so sad.

Edited by Pumapayam