Houston In The 1910s

wendyps

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Inspired to make a little slide show on Youtube.

Great job on the video, devonhart and a fascinating find. I'd never heard that Houston was known as "The Magnolia City" (per the Main @ Bell photo caption.)

Great job on the video, devonhart and a fascinating find. I'd never heard that Houston was known as "The Magnolia City" (per the Main @ Bell photo caption.)

Thanks, as a one time antique postcard collector, I'd see the "Magnolia City" nickname on old postcards once in awhile, but I imagine once Houston became "Space City" the old nickname disappeared.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Here's a scan of a post card my Mom found in her Dad's stuff. My great-grandparents lived in Houston then, on 17th Street West of Yale. My great Grandfather worked as a salesman at the Willys-Overland dealership at Main and Dallas, where the Marriott conversion of the old Humble building is. The postmark on hte back is from 1914.

se95zc.jpg

This is a great card - would you mind sharing what is written on the back? I always find that interesting too..

I'll have to ask my Mom for that. If she doesn't mind, I'll post it.

Here's a scan of a post card my Mom found in her Dad's stuff. My great-grandparents lived in Houston then, on 17th Street West of Yale. My great Grandfather worked as a salesman at the Willys-Overland dealership at Main and Dallas, where the Marriott conversion of the old Humble building is. The postmark on hte back is from 1914.

se95zc.jpg

Fantastic, thanks for sharing this. I live "near" North and walk across this often.

• 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Houston In The 1910s

Archived