Sage Plaza: Proposed Multifamily High-Rise On San Felipe St.

Maybe the lot behind Best Buy, but that is not off Sage.

Looks like twin 33 story tower. Nice that is has retail on the bottom.

It does look like, and I DO hope that it is actually behind Best Buy. If it is, the people in the highrise and apartments in the immediate area will surely walk to it to provide some business. Lord knows they feel isolated from the rest of the galleria.

That looks stinkin sweet! Can we get the COH to ban palm trees though? ;)

I feel the same way. I don't really like Palm trees. Maybe they want to keep away the grackles? :)

EDIT: typing before coffee.

Edited by ricco67

What's wrong with palm trees? I happen to like them. We are a gulf coast city (or close enough to the gulf) and it seems pretty normal to have palm trees.

Edited by Jax

What's wrong with palm trees? I happen to like them. We are a gulf coast city (or close enough to the gulf) and it seems pretty normal to have palm trees.

Mostly they don't even provide shade, but then again, maybe the placement of these shows that they're not trying to anyway.

Plus, I always get the feeling that it's trying to be west coastish. I like our large, full trees.

Don't mean to toot my own horn here, but I'm kind of excited that I was actually able to contribute something here. I don't know the first thing about architecture or buildings or anything like that. I just like big buildings and want more of them. So yay for me. That's all.

Don't mean to toot my own horn here, but I'm kind of excited that I was actually able to contribute something here. I don't know the first thing about architecture or buildings or anything like that. I just like big buildings and want more of them. So yay for me. That's all.

toot it, baby. It's an awesome find!

http://www.hfflp.com/WebtoolsSite/News/Doc...e%201-21-08.pdf

this would be the southwest corner of sage and westheimer... that would definitely make a lot of sense and would really help transform that intersection (and make traffic totally awesome).

the plot thickens.

Hmmm... so apparently there are already two buildings going by the name Sage Plaza.

My sister baked some cookies today if you want some.

I like the initial look of palm trees, but I think the pedestrian environment would be better served by oaks that provide more shade. I think the use of live oaks and other native trees would be more "authentic" anyway. It might be cheaper to go with palms in the short-term, but in the long run, the more shade you've got, the better. How unique a downtown area replete with new development and live oaks with Spanish moss hanging from their branches would be.

Some parts of our city have terrrific old live oaks that really lend character to their setting.

There are also a few (much fewer, actually) places where palm trees do too, but provide a different feel. Highland Village is a nice example. Some palm varieties planted here are aren't that attractive, though. Those are often the kind installed as lonely sentinals in the middle of vast concrete wastelands. In general, palms here seem be be more susceptible to poor planting and lack of maintainance.

I'm seeing more really attractive use of cypress trees here. I think they're pretty cool-looking even when they're bare in winter.

For the city as a whole, I agree with urban foresters that warn against cultivating an oak-tree monoculture (for one thing, because of the possibility of losing them to a species-specific disease). Spreading live oaks are beautiful, but not so much when Centerpoint or CoH buzz-cut the ones too near power lines and roads into weird topiary shapes. A lot of those were planted as small trees in inappropriate places, without any foresight as to whether they had room to grow.

I'd vote for having a variety, with some thought also put into planting stuff that's most well-suited to each location.

can we please not make this a thread about trees?

Sorry, that's my bad, kind of.

It's almost automatic death to a topic when you mention anything slightly off topic. But hey, we don't really have anything else to say, or do we? All we know is its location and a rendering.

Well, since we are on trees, does variety of the Cypress they are planting produce knees? If you are familiar with swamps in southern US and from my home state of Louisiana, Cypress trees should never e planted near a foundation because they will crack them.

This species I'm talking about is particular the Bald Cypress. Cool fact: Cypress Tree wood never rots!

Well, since we are on trees, does variety of the Cypress they are planting produce knees? If you are familiar with swamps in southern US and from my home state of Louisiana, Cypress trees should never e planted near a foundation because they will crack them.

This species I'm talking about is particular the Bald Cypress. Cool fact: Cypress Tree wood never rots!

Shall we move on to a discussion of shrubbery next? :unsure:

I used to work in one of these buildings on the SW corner and still have friends that work there currently. Apparently they just extended their lease at 5333 Westheimer and will be there for at least several more years, and the current owners have committed to upgrading the building as well as the parking garage. So not sure if this is the location that this project is actually planned to be, but based on the investment in rebuilding the infrastructure that is there already, I'm sure its years away at this point.