Where To Live

tweety

Hello everyone,

Ill be moving to Houston in the next couple of weeks for my new job. I have been told Midtown is the best place to be for young professionals (I am 25). I would like to live in a 1 bedroom apartment, near everything, preferably walking distance to bars restaurants and other things. Need to be in a place where I can meet people and enjoy life.

I was thinking around $1000 a month in rent, give or take a little.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Thx

Tweety

Hello everyone,

Ill be moving to Houston in the next couple of weeks for my new job. I have been told Midtown is the best place to be for young professionals (I am 25). I would like to live in a 1 bedroom apartment, near everything, preferably walking distance to bars restaurants and other things. Need to be in a place where I can meet people and enjoy life.

you'll probably be paying more than 1000 now.

Midtown is great, but I would check the Upper Kirby and Washington Ave areas as well. Both have some new complexes up that are nice and within walking distance to several bars and restaurants. They also may be cheaper than Midtown. It depends on the complex, though.

If anything, that will give you more options.

I agree that Midtown is a good bet for a newcomer. The rail line runs through it, making it easy to get Downtown, Hermann Park/Zoo, Medical Center and Reliant Stadium. A lot would depend on where you will be working.

The Washington Avenue Corridor (West End/Rice Military) seems to be the hottest urban market right now but Midtown has plenty of options. Western Midtown is further along in its evolution than eastern Midtown but both have a good number of townhomes available. More in the way of apartments can be found in western Midtown and 4th Ward, though.

I think Midtown's an ideal spot for a single 25-year-old looking professional looking to live in a walkable area. I'd say northwest Midtown fits that bill, in particular.

To get a feel for the area, I'd start off at 2222 Smith Street (my old apartment building, which I loved), and then just walk around. Hit some of the bars (Front Porch, Pub Fiction, Red Door) and some of the restaurants (Farrago, Ibiza, Nit Noi, the pizza places, etc). And be sure to go inside Spec's (huge liquor store, great deli) - it's the most well-known thing in Midtown by non-Midtowners.

I have lived or have had friends that lived at various apt complexes in the area -- Post Midtown, 2222 Smith, Metro Midtown and Camden Midtown, and I thought they're all fine, although 2222 Smith was my favorite. I think you should be able to find something for $1000/month at one of the cheaper complexes (haven't priced it recently). All those complexes are within a few blocks of one another, which is a blast if you can build up a group of friends in the area. They all have a mostly young professional demographic and vibe.

Oh, and of course there's access to the light rail (although it's not SUPER convenient from, say, 2222 Smith), which is a good way to hit downtown without worrying about driving/parking. For the sake of completeness, I'd get recommend getting a feel for the walk to the light rail as well (either McGowen stop or Downtown Transit Center stop at St. Joseph) since it is a bit sketchy.

Alternatively, a cab downtown is only like $8.

As I said, I think Midtown's ideal, but I haven't tried living in any of the other up-and-coming spots like Washington Avenue. My impression is Washington isn't quite as walkable, but maybe that's just because whenever I want to go to Catalan / Cova / Max's Wine Dive (restos on Washington) I have to drive there.

Thx guys for all the info.

I been looking online at the places that were recommended, 2222 lofts and post properties look like the best,

I guess I need to pay around 1100 which is fine, much cheaper then the east coast anyways,

any suggestions which is best ? 2222lofts vs post properties

size isn

I lived in Metro Midtown (when it was Amli (2006-07) so things may have changed) over Post. At the time Metro was a bit cheaper and also offered Comcast which Post didn't have (you had to have DSL and satellite). I believe Post was going to add digital cable capability, i would check on that if it matters to you. Also, see of Post residents still have access to the midrise next door, which has a rooftop terrace and pool. They are in the process of selling off that building, but as of last year apartment residents still had access.

I've heard nothing but good about 2222, other then the price.

I think that part of midtown is a good place to start in this city. You can always branch out after a year after you get a feel for things, or just stay where you are.

Your looking in the right area. Just look on Google Maps when you look at everything. I wouldn't go any further East or south from 2222 Sabine Lofts. Use that as the bottom right corner of your area to search. You can also check out Camden's new apartments. I've heard they are nice and I've seen quite a few good looking ladies at their pool. Camden and Post are competing a little bit right now and are trying to fill back up again. Try and work a deal.

Somebody suggested the Washington area but if you like walking, I wouldn't even consider Washington. There are only a handful of places there (which you may not even like) and its not conducive to walking. Midtown is the only urban area with everything you need within walking distance. I lived at Metro Midtown because its cheaper per square foot and you are more isolated from the bums. You are also close to everything so I would check it out.

Hello everyone,

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Thx

Tweety

Midtown, Downtown or Montrose would be your best bets being young and wanting to be near everything... even if you live in other areas such as the Heights, Washington Ave. Uptown, Medical Center, Greenway Plaze... you'll still be close to everything (just a very short drive) and able to meet people and enjoy the city.

Apartments at Post Midtown Square start at around $900 a month, and that's at the center of all the action. Personally, the "is everything downstairs or eight blocks away" question is worth a hundred or two per month. I'm paying $820 a month at the Rice and loving it. I work DT though, so Midtown Square would make more sense for you.

• The title was changed to Where To Live

Archived