LASIK

BryanS

I had LASIK done... 1998-ish. It's been 10 years. Overall, I can say that my vision, for the most part, is what it was after the procedure. I do have issues with night vision (halos mostly), albeit, not as severe as some of the other horror stories I read. Day vision is excellent. Advice that I gave to my sister was to wait as long as possible, because they keep improving the laser/procedure.

At the time that I had mine done, a large company in the area, basically had a

My BF has been garden-variety nearsighted all his life and decided LASIK was not the way to go, despite that he's a supposedly good candidate. He doesn't trust it and has been looking into lens replacement. Does anyone know what that's all about? Apparently more involved than LASIK but slowly getting more popular and less expensive.

I've always thought firing lasers into my eyes was a bit creepy, so I put it off. A couple of weeks ago, NPR had a story about the number of horror stories 9upwards of 5% or more), and I made up my mind right then that glasses aren't that bad.

End of story.

I had lasik done. The biggest draw back for me was my very near vision got worse as a result. I did not need reading glasses before, but afterwards I have trouble with small print. That has been a little disconcerting.

Of course at some point before too long I expected the near vision to fade some with age anyway.

The concept of no glasses afterwards though isn't entirely true. You may need them for reading, or heaven help you get a little splinter in your finger or something like that. You won't be able to see up close like you used to.

That part of it is what tempers my satisfaction with it. I don't have the issues with contacts anymore, it is a relief not to have to go through all that drill every morning and night. Its great for the beach or around the pool. Overall I am satisfied with it. It did take a while for the results to "settle in" and at first my near vision was REAL bad. That freaked me out because I thought I would need glasses more than before. I was just swapping nearsighted for far sighted. But it got better after awhile, which is what they told me.

i was basically blind without glasses prior to lasik. i am able to drive legally (at least last time i had a vision test) without corrective lenses however my vision is not 20/20. i was supposed to go back for another surgery however i ended up not doing it because the surgery was too uncomfortable for me personally. my farsightedness has been stable but since i'm past 40, my nearsightedness is catching up to me.

I've always thought firing lasers into my eyes was a bit creepy, so I put it off. A couple of weeks ago, NPR had a story about the number of horror stories 9upwards of 5% or more), and I made up my mind right then that glasses aren't that bad.

End of story.

You don't wear glasses, do you?

When laser eye surgery was first starting to become mainstream I was offered the procedure for free on both eyes. A local doctor would do it in exchange for the entire process being serialized on a local radio station's morning show (this was a market small enough that even I was considered a celebrity).

After two examinations it was determined that I was too young to get the operation and that would have to wait a few more years as my eyes were still growing and adjusting.

So, no free eye surgery for me!

(Unless someone wants to see it serialized on HAIF!)

Ain't no body touching these beautiful eyes! :blush:

Only wear frames at night anyway. Many people actually look much better with glasses. There is something that creates a certain allure or mystique on a person.

I've met some of the people on Haif and they look really great with frames. Kind of like a personal "star" trademark.

End of story.

DITTO ! Just bought a new pair of contacts, they should be in pretty soon. Apparently I have a unique shaped pair of eyes, so they have to go out and kill whatever animal it is they make contacts out of to make these special lens. :mellow:

Edited by TJones

I've been wearing glasses since I was 3. I see no reason to ditch them.

Shooting lasers into my eyes has no appeal for me. Now, shooting lasers out of my eyes, I'm all about that.

Now thats the best line of the week! :lol:

There are also a few on Haif that have sparks flying from their finger tips.

PS, I think it would be a great idea to start a topic of childhood pics wearing your frames. When I was 6 I wore the kind seen on Japanese Godzilla flicks, who would have thought they came back into vogue?

Shooting lasers into my eyes has no appeal for me. Now, shooting lasers out of my eyes, I'm all about that.

zomg-you-ve-won-internet.gif

DITTO ! Just bought a new pair of contacts, they should be in pretty soon.

Now that I'm part of the unwashed masses with no health insurance, I found a cool place to get disposable contacts -- Walgreens! I ordered online and they arrived in four days. The ones that my eye doctor charged me $131 for were only $14.95 from Wallys, and they come in the same box and everything.

Now that I'm part of the unwashed masses with no health insurance, I found a cool place to get disposable contacts -- Walgreens! I ordered online and they arrived in four days. The ones that my eye doctor charged me $131 for were only $14.95 from Wallys, and they come in the same box and everything.

Thanks for the heads up. I am checking out wally's right now. I am guessing you are using ACCUVUE ?

edit: I looked and they don't carry my prescription. Just my luck.

edit: I take it all back, I am NOT a freak, they have my prescription online, I was just using the wrong prescription. :wacko:

Edited by TJones

My best friend had it done, no issues, no regrets from her.

Me, I am too scared because of that small percentage that does have issues after surgery.

I will stick with glass for the time being.

So I am one of the few who had issues 4 years ago when I had it done. About 6 months worth of 3-4 visits a week to eye doctor and 2 extra trips under the laser (of course at no extra charge). I had a rare condition that caused my eyes not to heal properly. Amazingly, once the doctors had me quit adding medications to my eyes, my eye healed naturally and I ended up at 20/15 overall. No regrets even though at the time it was miserable. I'd do it again without hesitation. Even my wife had it done but it took her a year to get up the guts to do it after watching my ordeal. Now it is great not having to worry about contacts or glasses.

i am one of 6 people i know well that have gotten it done with no issues. i actually did go in for a "touch up" because one eye ended up at 20-25 and the other was 20-15 which got annoying. last time i checked i was 20-20 and 20-15.

the second trip under the laser for my right eye was cake cause the corneal flap hadn't healed yet and they were able to get in there easily. this was all in 2003, now they have new methods which is completely bladeless and less intrusive.

At the time I had it done... the office was lined up with people, assembly line fashion, waiting for their turn at the laser. I want to say it was $1000/eye back then, with your choice of lasers. Never understood why the patient got to make that decision. Like telling a surgeon which instrument to use. Odd.

So the doctor was raking in $2000, probably every 10 to 15 minutes that day.

I can just remember telling myself: "I hope he has the correct records and sets the laser to the correct setting, for my eyes."

Nowadays you can get lased for $300/eye - or even less. Do one eye, get the other for free! ... Makes you wonder.