Spanish Village Restaurant At 4720 Almeda Rd.

Vertigo58

It's a miracle this place is still there today!

Just wondered if anyone has memories or still visits this long time Houston eatery? I once had a coworker that mentionend that his family had been having big gathering at this place for years. Just wonder how authentic it is and especially if anyone had photos from the early days? Must have been opened in late 1950's? Stories and photos anyone??? :rolleyes:

http://www.spanishvillagerestaurant.com/photo2.jpg

http://www.spanishvillagerestaurant.com/about.html

• Like 1

We used to stop here after work, before going to Astros games at the Astrodome in the day. They had good margaritas, decent, cheap food.

Last time I was here was last year as a similar meeting place/eating place before going to a Dynamo game.

This whole corridor has made an amazing comeback. I honestly think that city planners had big ideas for Almeda Rd. It must have been swinging when this place was built. I was hoping someone could also disclose any inside info about the owners or founders of this place? Like they mention Felix Tijerina of the Felix Mexican Reastuarants fame. Wonder what was the name of these people and what was the idea that kicked it off. Must be some nostalgia stories in here. Whenever passing down Almeda this place could double from a distance as the typical sidewalk cafe or bistro along the Sunset Strip in LA, maybe thats why I like the "curb appeal" so much. :)

I'm not a big fan much anymore. The margarita are good, but the food is more the variety that is covered in glowing orange velveeta.

A number of us had gone in there a few times, but the owner is kind of rude and acts like everyone is putting him out just to be there. There are too many other Mexican restaurants in town with much better food to be bothered with the attitude and hit or miss service.

Edited by rps324

Wasn't this place closed down for quite a while? I thought I have seen some pics of the this place closed.

This was a great place! My dad used to do business with Larry Pico, who owned Spanish Village. He was a fine man! The food was pretty good (of course I used Felix's as my gauge) Their margaritas were very good and they had friendly servers, which most Mexican restaurants lack these days.

It opened in 1953.

I live next door so I go there fairly regularly. No doubt, there are dozens of better Mexican places in town. It's menu is extremely limited. The ceiling is too low. The polaroid snapshots all over the walls are exceedingly tacky. But I still love the place. Provenance counts for a lot in Houston, and how many other eateries do we have that date back to the Korean War?

It opened in 1953.

I live next door so I go there fairly regularly. No doubt, there are dozens of better Mexican places in town. It's menu is extremely limited. The ceiling is too low. The polaroid snapshots all over the walls are exceedingly tacky. But I still love the place. Provenance counts for a lot in Houston, and how many other eateries do we have that date back to the Korean War?

Fantastic!

and the dates are right on of that era ie; Korean War. Polaroid pics on walls are what gives the place charm, the tackier the better. This means it was once or is still a much loved place by the long time patrons. I still say it has great curb appeal as you pass by. The area needs to be promoted big time.

I still believe it was once the "place to be" in it's hey day. I can picture fine dressed people walking in and out of that place in during that era. Like Ciro's, The Mocambo and The Coconut Grove, ala Lana Turner, Ava Gardner and more. :D

Thank you again for solving another long time Houston mystery!

Edited by Vertigo58

I loved that place. My friends and I would always meet up there. They always treated us like rockstars. They would always ask, "are yall famous?" It was the same question everytime. Drinks good, food mediocre. It did close for a while..hell, I didnt even know it was open.

I loved that place. My friends and I would always meet up there. They always treated us like rockstars. They would always ask, "are yall famous?" It was the same question everytime. Drinks good, food mediocre. It did close for a while..hell, I didnt even know it was open.

If I were you I would say hell yeah I'm famous! (especially on Haif) :lol:

Now I must go eat there, don't care what people say. In fact might just start promoting it to bring back the crowds/celebs! The paparazzi will add to the mystique. Ja! Thanks everyone for helping to "spark" interest back into another long time Houston tradition. Bon appetit! or rather Salute!

• The title was changed to Spanish Village Restaurant
  • The title was changed to Spanish Village Restaurant At 4720 Almeda Rd.