• 2 weeks later...

Interesting roof situation going on.

What's exactly happening here? I know Rosewood Flower Shop has two buildings next door (or across the street) from each other.  I guess they're unloading 1 building and keeping the other?

1aUO48g.jpeg

On 6/8/2024 at 6:24 PM, Highrise Tower said:

Interesting roof situation going on.

What's exactly happening here? I know Rosewood Flower Shop has two buildings next door (or across the street) from each other.  I guess they're unloading 1 building and keeping the other?

1aUO48g.jpeg

It's very sad to see what happened to Flower Row.  

Because of my former work schedule, I used to stop by there in the middle of the night, or very early in the morning to pick up flowers for my wife.  There was always a lot of customers and other activity, even at 3am.  

Was it COVID that imploded this area, or was it before then?  Did the flower wholesalers move elsewhere?  

The last time I stopped by, they were spray-painting the dead roses to be sold at freeway offramps.  Sad.

13 hours ago, editor said:

It's very sad to see what happened to Flower Row.  

Because of my former work schedule, I used to stop by there in the middle of the night, or very early in the morning to pick up flowers for my wife.  There was always a lot of customers and other activity, even at 3am.  

Was it COVID that imploded this area, or was it before then?  Did the flower wholesalers move elsewhere?  

The last time I stopped by, they were spray-painting the dead roses to be sold at freeway offramps.  Sad.

Flower Row was already in decline years before COVID. Its heyday was in the 80s and 90s, but the number of shops had already shrunk significantly by the time this Chron piece was published in 2007:

Thorns on Houston's Flower Row

Politicians, urban planners and real-estate experts say the land in Midtown has become so expensive that so-called "interim'' businesses such as flower shops, car washes and parking lots can't survive for long. The theory is landowners can't afford the rising property taxes; those with leases can't handle soaring rents.

• Thanks 1