Urbanizing The Galleria Area

Trae

yeah let's bulldoze all the parking garages in the area. :wacko:

k.

Don't know where that came from. I'm talking about those suburban style strip centers being redeveloped (see BLVD Place). Somehow parking garages come in.

k.

Don't know where that came from. I'm talking about those suburban style strip centers being redeveloped (see BLVD Place). Somehow parking garages come in.

Some people have a talent for posting things that really just don't make sense sometimes, and this is intentional. You aint alone with your confusion Trae, you just get used to it and ignore it.

they require parking too trae. if you make it difficult for customers to park, they won't go.

What does this have to do with bulldozing parking garages?

All you would have to do is build the retail up to the street (in front of a wide sidewalk) and put the parking garages in the back. Almost like BLVD Place (except they have a small surface lot in the front).

All you would have to do is build the retail up to the street (in front of a wide sidewalk) and put the parking garages in the back. Almost like BLVD Place (except they have a small surface lot in the front).

I wished they made a side cut into the property along Post Oak and San Felipe for true street side retail and to minimized the surface lot parking to parallel parking only. But it is still better than what surrounds the area, especially the joke of a renovation across the street.

I think surface lots mixed with retail will remain for awhile until the cost of the parking, essentially free land that is not charged rent, is not possible anymore. I would think anything huge would want to not have any surface lots anymore so they can maximize the retail rent space.

Uptown maybe can't justify it yet, but land values are going up, James Coney Island demo and the 2 story McDonalds redo being good examples of the trend.

why would you have to do that?

Makes it more pedstrian friendly. Uptown is trending to become more urban and eventually have mass transit, we should have

street â–º sidewalk â–º retail â–º parking garage/rear surface parking.

not

street â–º sidewalk â–º front surface parking lot â–º retail.

No way.

I wished they made a side cut into the property along Post Oak and San Felipe for true street side retail and to minimized the surface lot parking to parallel parking only. But it is still better than what surrounds the area, especially the joke of a renovation across the street.

I think surface lots mixed with retail will remain for awhile until the cost of the parking, essentially free land that is not charged rent, is not possible anymore. I would think anything huge would want to not have any surface lots anymore so they can maximize the retail rent space.

Uptown maybe can't justify it yet, but land values are going up, James Coney Island demo and the 2 story McDonalds redo being good examples of the trend.

Makes it more pedstrian friendly. Uptown is trending to become more urban and eventually have mass transit, we should have

not

No way.

If it's ok to post here for this, does anyone know why that "joke of a renovation across the st" (so true) with Luby's and Zadok is...well, just a joke of a renovation instead of something....better? Also, what is the story with the 24 hr fitness on post oak....anyone buying that so far?

Brucette's shoes is asking $400/ft for his land. No joke. He knows no one (please Deyaar, don't buy at this $) will pay that but is 'content' with holding it. He was going to do a deal and move to Zadok's site but couldn't command the same terms of lease that Zadok possesses so it was scrapped.

Some people have a talent for posting things that really just don't make sense sometimes, and this is intentional. You aint alone with your confusion Trae, you just get used to it and ignore it.

I was thinking the same thing.

not

No way.

there is mass transit in the galleria area last time i checked.

if there's currently a problem with development in the galleria area i must have missed it.

there is mass transit in the galleria area last time i checked.

if there's currently a problem with development in the galleria area i must have missed it.

You know what he meant. Rail transit.

And there is a problem with some development in the Galleria. Too suburban. It doesn't look right seeing a strip center right next to a 50-story building. Uptown is becoming more urban, so those type of strip centers are going to have to go.

And there is a problem with some development in the Galleria. Too suburban. It doesn't look right seeing a strip center right next to a 50-story building. Uptown is becoming more urban, so those type of strip centers are going to have to go.

"it doesn't look right" isn't a reason why the strip centers have to go. very subjective.

• 2 weeks later...

The Galleria area is full of traffic, right?

Strip malls with parking out front forces or encourages you to drive to each one. That would be nice if these were 7-Elevens or something where you want that convenience. But people are out to shop. This is both a hassle and causes even more traffic as everyone drives from store to store in different shopping centers.This is a problem and may drive away business as more shops and residential/office density drive up traffic further.

Or it can go a new route. More people out to shop park in conveniently located garages then are able to easily walk along uninterrupted sidewalks that lead past shop windows and dining areas. Now that auto uses are placed back they can traverse the area going from one destination to another without their car. This decreases traffic caused by shoppers and those hunting for parking spots.

Naturally this requires more than a few aesthetic choices by developers, the city needs to come in and during the LRT project redesign major streets to be less intimidating and allow more pedestrian flow. It also should encourage developers to turn plazas and courts into something more to enhance the streetside experience for shoppers.

Essentially the Galleria feels like a loose collection of shopping centers with a traffic problem. But oneday it could be a coherent district that almost works as one big shopping center, and other things too. It would be easier to get around and it would become more of a destination.

But whatever, we all know things don't work out around here,whatever

Edited by zaphod

Strip malls with parking out front forces or encourages you to drive to each one. That would be nice if these were 7-Elevens or something where you want that convenience. But people are out to shop. This is both a hassle and causes even more traffic as everyone drives from store to store in different shopping centers.This is a problem and may drive away business as more shops and residential/office density drive up traffic further.

looks like the galleria has been growing quite nicely despite your denunciation.

Or it can go a new route. More people out to shop park in conveniently located garages then are able to easily walk along uninterrupted sidewalks that lead past shop windows and dining areas. Now that auto uses are placed back they can traverse the area going from one destination to another without their car. This decreases traffic caused by shoppers and those hunting for parking spots.

when you talk shopping, most shoppers prefer easy access to their car. perhaps you will carry your metal shelving from the container store around, i sure don't.

Naturally this requires more than a few aesthetic choices by developers, the city needs to come in and during the LRT project redesign major streets to be less intimidating and allow more pedestrian flow. It also should encourage developers to turn plazas and courts into something more to enhance the streetside experience for shoppers.

in what way are the streets intimidating?

Essentially the Galleria feels like a loose collection of shopping centers with a traffic problem. But oneday it could be a coherent district that almost works as one big shopping center, and other things too. It would be easier to get around and it would become more of a destination.

being a world renown shopping center currently, its status as a destination is already quite established.

I have no problem with that. However, it has been my experience that there are many business owners who go to DEFCON 1 at the prospect of even the slightest reduction in vehicular access.

the city needs to come in and during the LRT project redesign major streets to be less intimidating and allow more pedestrian flow. It also should encourage developers to turn plazas and courts into something more to enhance the streetside experience for shoppers.

It appears that the primary objective of the Post Oak LRT line is going to be to minimze any inconvenience to vehicular traffic, which of course is going to come at the expense of better LRT and pedestrian convenience.

Essentially the Galleria "Galleria area or uptown district" feels like a loose collection of shopping centers with a traffic problem. But oneday it could be a coherent district that almost works as one big shopping center, and other things too. It would be easier to get around and it would become more of a destination.

Minor change to your post above, I know that is what you essentially meant, but certain users like to over analyze things.

I am SO looking forward to see the evolution to achieve this goal. Wide (hopefully tree lined) sidewalks, retail/residential just off the street, and a bigger network of mass transit. Uptown has great potential. Less cars and more walking and mass transit sound so un-Houston, but I can't wait for that to change. :mellow:

Nice post zaphod.

Edited by Pumapayam

Minor change to your post above, I know that is what you essentially meant, but certain users like to over analyze things.

I am SO looking forward to see the evolution to achieve this goal. Wide (hopefully tree lined) sidewalks, retail/residential just off the street, and a bigger network of mass transit. Uptown has great potential. Less cars and more walking and mass transit sound so un-Houston, but I can't wait for that to change. :mellow:

Nice post zaphod.

Yeah, great post zaphod.

How so?

As of now, there will not be any transit signal priority for the LRT. The LRV will have to wait for the green like everyone else. The goal is to minimize traffic disruption on the cross streets.

Nice post zaphod.

This is a nice thought, but I don't see how the area can be transformed without addressing Westheimer traffic and the LRT isn't going to help with that. If you can't have people walk from the Galleria to BLVD Place, how do you make this into a walking district?

but still accurate.

OK but stating 'there is mass transit in the galleria area last time i checked.' is only telling half the story. Vehicles are still favored immensely in the Galleria area which has lead to slow transit, a 'land locked' area whose development almost exclusively caters to the automobile, development whose uses (residential, office and retail) are so segregated walking is not even a reasonable option and side streets that can accumulate traffic to a point that they resemble main commercial streets. Contrary to belief there are ways to fix these problems, but I guess the Galleria is considered a successful district because of the consumers who shape the market, which in Houston ALWAYS trumps quality of life issues.

OK but stating 'there is mass transit in the galleria area last time i checked.' is only telling half the story. Vehicles are still favored immensely in the Galleria area which has lead to slow transit, a 'land locked' area whose development almost exclusively caters to the automobile, development whose uses (residential, office and retail) are so segregated walking is not even a reasonable option and side streets that can accumulate traffic to a point that they resemble main commercial streets. Contrary to belief there are ways to fix these problems, but I guess the Galleria is considered a successful district because of the consumers who shape the market, which in Houston ALWAYS trumps quality of life issues.

Welcome to Houston, stranger. The Galleria favors automobiles over feet because Houstonians favor automobiles over feet. If you want to walk around a lot, please move to some communist hell-hole like Portland. Thanks.

Welcome to Houston, stranger. The Galleria favors automobiles over feet because Houstonians favor automobiles over feet. If you want to walk around a lot, please move to some communist hell-hole like Portland. Thanks.

:rolleyes: I already left Houston due to frustration of how it responds to growth. Coincidentally, the only 'communist' thing is that the Galleria never had a plan to have a balance between cars and actual people and that a city cannot even provide an option for walkable neighborhoods even on the fringes of downtown where there is an actual demand. The Galleria's traffic problems are a scream for better planning. No reason developers are finding ways to fit retail, office, hotel, and residential space on an acre or two parcel of land that use to house ONE strip center and asphalt for maybe 200 vehicles. Having an alternative mode of transportation catering to these type of developments will atleast give folks a reasonable and comfortableoption to be car free if they choose to. Does not stop YOU from driving but atleast you have an option. The current option sucks and THAT is almost not even subjective.