Urbanizing The Galleria Area

Trae

:rolleyes: I already left Houston due to frustration of how it responds to growth. Coincidentally, the only 'communist' thing is that the Galleria never had a plan to have a balance between cars and actual people and that a city cannot even provide an option for walkable neighborhoods even on the fringes of downtown where there is an actual demand. The Galleria's traffic problems are a scream for better planning. No reason developers are finding ways to fit retail, office, hotel, and residential space on an acre or two parcel of land that use to house ONE strip center and asphalt for maybe 200 vehicles. Having an alternative mode of transportation catering to these type of developments will atleast give folks a reasonable and comfortableoption to be car free if they choose to. Does not stop YOU from driving but atleast you have an option. The current option sucks and THAT is almost not even subjective.

Agreed. I just came back from Uptown. Met some really fine Hispanic girls from the ice rink and chatted with them for a while with my friends. It was easy, because there was three of us, and three of them, and they were just sitting at a table alone, so we sat next to them. Bought some Thirstys and had a good time. But aside from meeting fine girls, Uptown is a traffic nightmare :).

They need more options. Redevelop the strip centers, and when the rail comes in, expand the sidewalks.

But life must be expensive in the Bay Area.

OK but stating 'there is mass transit in the galleria area last time i checked.' is only telling half the story. Vehicles are still favored immensely in the Galleria area which has lead to slow transit, a 'land locked' area whose development almost exclusively caters to the automobile, development whose uses (residential, office and retail) are so segregated walking is not even a reasonable option and side streets that can accumulate traffic to a point that they resemble main commercial streets. Contrary to belief there are ways to fix these problems, but I guess the Galleria is considered a successful district because of the consumers who shape the market, which in Houston ALWAYS trumps quality of life issues.

there IS mass transit in the galleria area according to the METRO sched. whether drivers choose to use it is another issue. as cdeb mentioned, the "new" LRT line will also be catering to the vehicles. it seems as if the consumers (driving cars) are still driving current development efforts.

Edited by musicman

there IS mass transit in the galleria area according to the METRO sched. whether drivers choose to use it is another issue. as cdeb mentioned, the "new" LRT line will also be catering to the vehicles. should you desire the dozing of structures currently profitable; it seems as if the consumers (driving cars) are still driving current development efforts.

You will find the biggest consumer of the Uptown line would be either the College kids itching to get off campus, or the Business/vacation people who either don't have a car or aren't comfortable enough to rent a car.

We don't need all of Houston foot friendly. Areas like Uptown need to be foot friendly.

That's like saying a kangaroo needs a longer neck because you really like giraffes. Uptown is car-centric for reasons every bit as valid as those that make San Francisco car-hostile. Both cities evolved over time to survive in their surroundings. No amount of stretching is going to turn a kangaroo into a giraffe.

You will find the biggest consumer of the Uptown line would be either the College kids itching to get off campus, or the Business/vacation people who either don't have a car or aren't comfortable enough to rent a car.

I think it would be the service employees of the area.

Edited by Jeebus

I think it would be the service employees of the area.

Oh yeah...those too. :)

I am surprised at hoe many companies have policies about people NOT renting cars in Houston. I don't know if it's in general as far traveling or JUST Houston,though.

• 4 weeks later...

Urbanizing the UT area is, imo, going to be a great thing for H-town. i look at cities like Atlanta, and it (creating a "2nd" downtown) only seems to add to the urban fabric of the city as well as opens up other possibilities for new residents and perhaps, even, tourists. There is a reason Dallas beat Houston in most toured cities in the US this past year. One MAIN reason, i think, is pedestrian accessability. BUT, i have Hope and Faith in our lovely city on the Bayou. Slowly but surely, our infamous leaders are getting the hint that creating urban centers (like in Austin) which MIX commercial and residential into one highly dense location, are the key to get people to visit, live and ultimately stay in those areas. i think Houston is large enough(6 1/2 million people!) that the urbanites and suburbanites can have their own piece of Heaven. Let those who want a closely packed urban area come to TMC, UT and now it seems, DT or at least the Inner Loop. Let those who don't mind the commute and want lawns and strip malls and such go to those places as well. Houston has the best of both worlds, but it seems to me, we focused so much on the suburban aspect, that we have neglected the more urban part of city living. BUT, again, i say, slowly but surely, i think Houston will be the urban and suburban Mecca of the south in about 5-10 years. Give her time.

AND THANKS TO THE GODS we diversified our economic base back in the 80's. As far as the country goes, we are not as hard hit as places like San Diego, LA, Phoenix, LV, and Miami. i don't think i could take another bust like in the mid 80's. SO, to me, it only makes sense to urbanize a part of Houston which rakes in the money by the bucketfuls....and that, my HAIF friends, is the Galleria/Post Oak area.

m. B)

PS- By the by- i am enjoying my 6 week summer here in Houston. i have seen all the development in and around H-town and am saving the "best" for last. i will be in UT and DT this weekend. And my GOD, MT won't be recognizable by 2012!

Oh yeah...those too. :)

I am surprised at hoe many companies have policies about people NOT renting cars in Houston. I don't know if it's in general as far traveling or JUST Houston,though.

Many companies won't let you rent cars when you're outside your country of origin/base or at least highly discourage it. The only business trip (beside getting to airport) that I have driven to is my only trip to Ft. Worth. This was the only of over 10 business trips.

• The title was changed to Urbanizing The Galleria Area