Ruining The Galleria Skyline?

Jeebus

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Glad you are dropping the beacon discussion.
It's not dropped, the conversation just became more focused.
I agree about the undesirable strip centers/parking lots in the area. However, what's the point here? Advise Deyaar to buy those properties and build towers on those sites, as well, if you want to do something about it. Opposition to a super-tall has nothing to do with those under-utilized (in some of our opinions) properties nearby. Build, and build up, on all the sites is my answer.
The point is that the attitude should be that we want those replaced, and not that since we are seemingly powerless to un-zoned new development, we'll just take anything a developer is giving out.

There is plenty of room for this development downtown in the CBD, where the infill is desperately needed.

I kinda agree with Jeebus. The Williams Tower is what makes the uptown skyline. Houston will be takeing somthing away from the city as a whole if it is to be built in uptown. I cant really explain why it would take awy from the uptown skyline it just would. The tower is like a king in uptown so why would overtake a king that been good to you just to be tall. You dont over take a king that been good you suport him.(Strangs analogy but works in my head) If you want to go tall in uptown add some 600-750 ft towers. I think it would change the uptown skyline drastically in a good way, but not take away what is special to the area and thats the Williams tower over looking the uptown area with nothing to stand in the way of its light.

IF YOU WANT SUPERTALLS BUILD LOTS OF THEM IN THE CBD!!!! :D

I kinda agree with Jeebus. The Williams Tower is what makes the uptown skyline. Houston will be takeing somthing away from the city as a whole if it is to be built in uptown. I cant really explain why it would take awy from the uptown skyline it just would. The tower is like a king in uptown so why would overtake a king that been good to you just to be tall. You dont over take a king that been good you suport him.(Strangs analogy but works in my head) If you want to go tall in uptown add some 600-750 ft towers. I think it would change the uptown skyline drastically in a good way, but not take away what is special to the area and thats the Williams tower over looking the uptown area with nothing to stand in the way of its light.

IF YOU WANT SUPERTALLS BUILD LOTS OF THEM IN THE CBD!!!! :D

Don't you want to at least see sketches of this proposal before you pass judgement? Deyaar has a good reputation as far as using interesting architecture. I'll take an interesting building in Uptown over another boring box Downtown.

Don't you want to at least see sketches of this proposal before you pass judgement? Deyaar has a good reputation as far as using interesting architecture. I'll take an interesting building in Uptown over another boring box Downtown.

Agree 100%

That area needs several taller new iconic buildings. We are the city of the future, let's do it!

Side note: Bet this very same argument happened 60 plus years ago before The Empire State Bldg was built. March forward, if we dont another city will like they always seem to do. Change is the way to go. Someone search for a rendering or something close to. :)

Having it in Uptown, where it would stand out more, instead of Downtown will bring it more prestige and presence I think. It will stand out more.

I think the built environment of Uptown would be offensive to the design of the tower, as it is to Transco.

I think the built environment of Uptown would be offensive to the design of the tower, as it is to Transco.

Maybe they are right the Galleria is quite cluttered already. It would glimmer in the Hermann Park area or Near East End. :blush:

What's to brag about? 80 doesn't break any records - at least any that count..

Bragging rights for anyone who wants their name on the Building... Bragging rights for Houston to build a second super tall. Bragging rights to be the tallest west of the Mississippi & south for that matter.

Are you really asking why Developers build tall buildings in the first place?

Now you know that Houston is not going to build an 80-story building. Its been decades since Houston has built something that tall. Houston is way too iffy. The tallest they may go is 40-something, and then again that's a rarity.

You'll be disappointed :).

Bragging rights for anyone who wants their name on the Building... Bragging rights for Houston to build a second super tall. Bragging rights to be the tallest west of the Mississippi & south for that matter.
That's like bragging that you made the J.V. squad.
Are you really asking why Developers build tall buildings in the first place?
No, but I bet Niche will want to chime in with an answer for this question at some point though.

..If they build this, I'm moving to Dallas.

What's to brag about? 80 doesn't break any records - at least any that count..

It would in this town. Not only would it be the tallest building in the city and Texas, it would be the tallest outside of a CBD period.

It would in this town. Not only would it be the tallest building in the city and Texas, it would be the tallest outside of a CBD period.

If they build this, it will be the tallest building outside of New York and Chicago in North America (obviously excluding the CN Tower).

No, but I bet Niche will want to chime in with an answer for this question at some point though.

Montrose1100 is essentially correct.

The financial realities of extremely tall buildings are very poor. Higher construction costs per square foot of leasable area dictate that lease rates be the highest in their submarket, but they're squeezed because they also have the largest market share. Meanwhile, it is in many ways less convenient for tenants to office their employees in supertalls than in shorter buildings and it may expose them (and the building owner) to risks that require additional insurance policies. Even though trophy assets can command lower cap rates at the time of sale, it is hard to get NOI up to a level at which the sale price per square foot exceeds replacement cost.

Therefore I would conclude the same thing, that tall buildings can make financial sense. Supertalls do not.

And my theory is that the answer to why they get built is essentially rooted in male sexuality.

• 1 month later...
You know they would be forced to turn off the rotating lighthouse spotlight as Deyaar nimbys on the 60th through 80th floors would whine about the beam hitting their windows.

Only if you are in a room with the lights turned off.

When your in a skyscraper at night, all you can see for the most part is a reflection of the room you're in, like a mirror. Most of the exterior light from surrounding buildings, BEACONS, whatever, is dissipated by the interior light.

But you don't have to take MY word for it.

readingrainbow_lavar.jpg

Didn't everyone say that about the Pavillions?

They did, and they were half right. The Pavilions that is being built now is a scaled down version of the first renderings, which included residential over retail.

Let it go already. The point is, after a lot of people said HP would NEVER be built, they were proven to be wrong. And I would NOT say the doubters were half right at all. 3 surface lots were replaced downtown and only 2 buildings in HP didn't go up - something that will hardly be missed at all.

There are plenty of projects that get built in Houston that don't get scaled down. West Ave, OMP, OPP ect. Think about those and you'll feel better. And anyway, what was scaled down at HP wasn't going to make THAT much difference anyway. HP will make it's mark at its location, so don't be so sure this 89 story tower won't get built. Nobody at this website knows for sure either way. Some people like to blow up balloons, some people like to pop them. The only thing you can count on for sure is that nobody at this website knows what the hell they are talking about - ESPECIALLY the ones who underestimate Houston's potential.

The only thing you can count on for sure is that nobody at this website knows what the hell they are talking about -

Whoa there partner... That's a little extreme. There are a number of individuals on this board that have given very good info on a number of projects.

Let it go already. The point is, after a lot of people said HP would NEVER be built, they were proven to be wrong. And I would NOT say the doubters were half right at all. 3 surface lots were replaced downtown and only 2 buildings in HP didn't go up - something that will hardly be missed at all.

There are plenty of projects that get built in Houston that don't get scaled down. West Ave, OMP, OPP ect. Think about those and you'll feel better. And anyway, what was scaled down at HP wasn't going to make THAT much difference anyway. HP will make it's mark at its location, so don't be so sure this 89 story tower won't get built. Nobody at this website knows for sure either way. Some people like to blow up balloons, some people like to pop them. The only thing you can count on for sure is that nobody at this website knows what the hell they are talking about - ESPECIALLY the ones who underestimate Houston's potential.

OMP?

I hate these abbreviations that no one knows (or at least I don't).

..and only 2 buildings in HP didn't go up - something that will hardly be missed at all.

And anyway, what was scaled down at HP wasn't going to make THAT much difference anyway.

Quotes like the ones above, make quotes like the one below true.

The only thing you can count on for sure is that nobody at this website knows what the hell they are talking about..

Archived