Golden Room At 1209 Montrose Blvd.

memebag

The Golden Room (good Thai restaurant at 1209 Montrose) is closed as of tomorrow until early September for remodeling. It's going to be called "<someone> & <someone> Thai-American Cafe". We just happened to go there tonight for dinner and saw the signs saying "See you in September". Their spicy mint chicken was the shiznizzle. :(

• 1 month later...
The Golden Room (good Thai restaurant at 1209 Montrose) is closed as of tomorrow until early September for remodeling. It's going to be called "<someone> & <someone> Thai-American Cafe". We just happened to go there tonight for dinner and saw the signs saying "See you in September". Their spicy mint chicken was the shiznizzle. :(

I heard from someone yesterday that the Golden Room Thai Restaurant has been leveled. Does anyone know if this is part of the remodel, or has Golden Room gone bye bye?

Lovett 19

I heard from someone yesterday that the Golden Room Thai Restaurant has been leveled. Does anyone know if this is part of the remodel, or has Golden Room gone bye bye?

Lovett 19

Well, it's a heck of a remodel then. They won't be re-opening in Septmeber, though. The Golden Room is a golden pile of rubble. I was pretty suprised--I just noticed it yesterday.

I drove by it a few days ago and was surprised...

The only permits issued were for a restaurant addition in the end of May, so either the permit is way late posting or it was never issued...

Dry your eyes little one. There are plenty of good Thai alternatives around, many I think better than Golden Room. It's a little away, but try Patu in the Village.

Dry your eyes little one. There are plenty of good Thai alternatives around, many I think better than Golden Room. It's a little away, but try Patu in the Village.

I've been there; not impressed. I've been to lots of Thai places and Golden Room was one of my favorites. My fiancee loved it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Mrs. Bag and I drove by on Christmas Eve and it was open for business. There's still a sign that says "Golden Room", but there's big "K" on the front of the building for whatever that new name is.

They've taken a quaint little restaurant that felt like someone's old house and turned it into an industrial cafeteria with furnishings from Ikea. The food we ordered was exactly the same and our favorite waiter was there, so we're deeply thankful, but remain bewildered by the motivation for the remodel. Will more people eat Thai food if it's served on formica tables with no table cloths?

Mrs. Bag and I drove by on Christmas Eve and it was open for business. There's still a sign that says "Golden Room", but there's big "K" on the front of the building for whatever that new name is.

They've taken a quaint little restaurant that felt like someone's old house and turned it into an industrial cafeteria with furnishings from Ikea. The food we ordered was exactly the same and our favorite waiter was there, so we're deeply thankful, but remain bewildered by the motivation for the remodel. Will more people eat Thai food if it's served on formica tables with no table cloths?

Sounds like they are cloning Kanonwam / Telephone Thai.

I'm really sad because I just moved to the area around the same time they closed down for remodeling so I never got to experience the homeyness of the original Golden Room. However, despite the sterile ambiance the new places gives off, the food is TERRIFIC. I've been there 4 times since they opened a few weeks ago and I have yet to be disappointed. And according to memebag's review of the food since it became Khun Kay Thai, I'm glad I'm not really missing out!

What is that?

Fantastic Thai food where they treat the customers like a necessary evil. It's new location is actually behind a strip center so it is a bit hard to find. I suspect the management prefers it that way, but nevertheless the many Telephone Thai loyalists will continue to seek them out. Great stuff.

• The title was changed to Golden Room At 1209 Montrose Blvd.

Archived