Commuting From The Woodlands

Roaster

I can't tell you how long the drive from your house to the VA is, since I don't know where you live, and don't drive to the VA. However, I can describe parts of your commute.

I currently drive from Conroe to the Heights, leaving at 6:00 am from Conroe, arriving at 6:55 am in the Heights. I pass Woodlands Mall at approximately 6:20. Traffic is busy but not congested until you reach N Beltway 8. At this point, depending on accidents, it bogs down, becoming increasingly stop-and-go all the way into downtown and around the Pierce Elevated. As you leave later into rush hour, the severity of stop-and-go traffic and the spot where it begins increases. And, yes, leaving as little as 10 minutes later can add 20 to 30 minutes to your commute.

Once you exit US 59 onto Hwy 288, you are driving against rush hour traffic, so the last leg of your trip will not be affected.

You can avoid much of the I-45 slowdown by taking the Hardy Toll Road. This drive will not be as congested until you reach the interchange with Loop 610, but even here, it is only a momentary slowdown. Again, once you hit downtown, it will be stop-and-go on the 59 Elevated until you reach the 288 turnoff. No idea how long that will take.

I would look into other options for the last leg of the trip if the only gripe is that the Woodlands Express does not drop close enough to your office. For instance, are bicycles allowed on the bus? Doesn't TMC have a circulator trolley? And, there are always METRO busses running around there.

http://www.ridemetro.org/SchedulesMaps/Default.aspx

EDIT: Actually, from looking at the Woodlands Express schedule, I believe you may be reading it incorrectly. It looks like the bus goes through downtown all the way through Midtown to the TMC. There would be numerous stops throughout the TMC, not just the VA. You should probably contact someone at Brazos Transit to verify.

2ND EDIT: My brother takes TWE to Greenway Plaza from Sawdust, and it makes numerous stops in downtown before heading out to Greenway. I think the TMC bus does the same.

Edited by RedScare

• 1 month later...
Quick Update: The commute averages about 50 minutes door-to-door. This is leaving from Alden Bridge, taking the I-4/Hardy Toll Road/610/59/288 route. I leave the house at 6:30AM and I am in the office at 7:30AM.

It's the same for my dh - 45min-1hour from Alden Bridge to 610/Shepherd. He stays on I45 though and exits Shepherd... takes that to his office.

• 2 weeks later...
Quick Update: The commute averages about 50 minutes door-to-door. This is leaving from Alden Bridge, taking the I-4/Hardy Toll Road/610/59/288 route. I leave the house at 6:30AM and I am in the office at 7:30AM.

That is very good. About 45 minutes to downtown if you leave at 5:45.

• The title was changed to Commuting From The Woodlands