Houston In The 1930s

Guest danax

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know what Houston school this might be? The picture looks to be 1930's vintage and the kids appear to be about Jr High age. I've pretty much ruled out the one's I'm familiar with... the old Johnston and Lanier. Any help is appreciated.

School.jpg

If you are absolutly positive it's in Houston, I would go to someone at HISD archives or Like the Rosenburg Library websites. They gave me great advice on how to identify from an old schoool I once attended. The building may no longer even be standing. Good luck.

You need to ask a poster who goes by the name isuredid. He knows all this stuff. He went to the library and county archive and gathered all sorts of neat information about schools.

If anyone on here can identify that school, rest assured he can.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...showtopic=10906

Check out post number 24 on this thread about Jackson Jr High. It looks similar. It is very familiar and looks like the entry of several schools that were built in the 20's and 30's. Like Milby, Austin, and Lamar.

The detailing doesn't match with Jackson Jr. High. Unless the shape of the arches, stone accents, and name over the doors were all later renovations.

If you are absolutly positive it's in Houston, ...

The source for the picture says it is, but I can't swear to it

Just a guess, is it old San Jacinto High?

Nope! My wife went there and has lots of pictures of the front.

I thought someone on the forum might live near this school and recognize it. I believe most, if not all, of the Jr. High (now Middle) schools from that era are still standing. There were not many back then...maybe 10-12. Only 7 high schools. Ones I can think of that existed at that time are Johnston, Lanier, Jackson, Hamilton, Deady, Pershing, Burbank, Edison, Hogg.

I thought someone on the forum might live near this school and recognize it. I believe most, if not all, of the Jr. High (now Middle) schools from that era are still standing. There were not many back then...maybe 10-12. Only 7 high schools. Ones I can think of that existed at that time are Johnston, Lanier, Jackson, Hamilton, Deady, Pershing, Burbank, Edison, Hogg.

I know for a fact that its not Jackson, Lanier, Deady or Edison. Many of the kids in the photo look of Asian descent.

It's also not my guess, which was Jeff Davis HS. Live Local is your friend, where this is concerned. This school is not as ornate as some of the other 3-arch schools. I haven't seen any extant with the brick between the arches like this one.

uh oh,are you serious? Your wife has the ability to take pics but can't remeber where she went to school?

It's also not my guess, which was Jeff Davis HS. Live Local is your friend, where this is concerned. This school is not as ornate as some of the other 3-arch schools. I haven't seen any extant with the brick between the arches like this one.

Hey marmer we had the same idea. I was looking at the schools up close with live local. I didnt see any that matched. I checked out the high school for law enforcement, the old George Washingto Junior High but no luck there either. It has only one large arch instead of three.

Does anyone know what Houston school this might be? The picture looks to be 1930's vintage and the kids appear to be about Jr High age. I've pretty much ruled out the one's I'm familiar with... the old Johnston and Lanier. Any help is appreciated.

School.jpg

That's me in the second row in the bottom left hand corner, sixth from the left.

uh oh,are you serious? Your wife has the ability to take pics but can't remeber where she went to school?

I am serious... and what does anything here have to do with my wife's memory? Who said anything about her ability to take pictures?

I think he means that his wife went to old San Jacinto High, has lots of pictures of it, and is sure that the school in the picture is not San Jacinto High. Not that she went to school at the school in the picture.

That is what I meant. It seems pretty obvious to me and to you. I don't understand how LMG could come away with anything different, unless he was trying to be funny with an insensitive remark about my wife's memory.

Ding, Ding, Ding! I think we have a winner! EspersonBuilding says Contemporary Learning Center, Live Local shows this for the CLC:

Looks like a positive ID to me!

By Jove! I think you got it! Looks like I was wrong when I said I didn't think it was the old Johnston Jr High. I should have investigated further. Thanks to all who took the time to look... especially EspersonBuildings and marmer. Case closed!

• 2 weeks later...
By Jove! I think you got it! Looks like I was wrong when I said I didn't think it was the old Johnston Jr High. I should have investigated further. Thanks to all who took the time to look... especially EspersonBuildings and marmer. Case closed!

Yep...good eye. I had this photo of the Johnston school hiding in my school photos

Johnston_school.jpg

• 4 months later...

i have an assignment in my Texas history class to write about a certain county in texas. being from houston, of course i chose Harris county. we're supposed to find a story 50 years or older and then write a few pages elaborating the story.

i really wanted to write about the icebox murders but unfortunately that's 7 years too young for what i need.

anybody with any information would be GREATLY appreciated. thanks

Archived