Sicardi Ayers Bacino Art Gallery At 1506 W. Alabama St.

OkieEric

Looks like several lots were cleared in the 1500 block of W Alabama by Fat Cat Flats. Anyone know what's going on there? The demolished structures were pretty dilapidated, and one was a perpetual target for taggers

As I understand, Sicardi Gallery will be building a new gallery on one of the cleared lots. I think it was cleared several months ago ... Don't know about the rest of the lots, but more contruction in that vein would be great, especially with the Menil right there.

As I understand, Sicardi Gallery will be building a new gallery on one of the cleared lots. I think it was cleared several months ago ... Don't know about the rest of the lots, but more contruction in that vein would be great, especially with the Menil right there.

Well, there's one lot near there that was cleared a few months back - I believe it has a "Brave Architecture" sign in front of it, but no activity as of yet. Maybe that's where the gallery is going?

There were multiple demo permits issued recently for these other structures (and all by the same buyer), and at least two were demolished earlier this week. There are now more or less 3 contiguous cleared lots by Fat Cat Flats... I really like that stretch of W Alabama, so it would definitely be nice to see some new activity

There were multiple demo permits issued recently for these other structures (and all by the same buyer), and at least two were demolished earlier this week. There are now more or less 3 contiguous cleared lots by Fat Cat Flats... I really like that stretch of W Alabama, so it would definitely be nice to see some new activity

Hopefully, not more townhouses where you are talking about.....

I can't remember the exact location, but I think the new Sicardi Gallery is supposed to be on the east side of Alabama @ Mandell -- approx across the street from HCP and the Menil parking lot. But in general, I'm suprised that section of Alabama hasn't been transformed in one way or another by now.

Good observation (and welcome back to HAIF).

I've never understood why W. Alabama hasn't taken off as an urban destination street.

Another demolition in the same block today:

Link to swamplot

I think this is that abandoned, tagged up two-story building there on the corner of W Alabama and Mandell. I believe this will make 5 cleared lots along that single block... I agree that W Alabama from Montrose to Shepherd (and beyond?) could be a cool, fairly walkable area. Just give me a couple of more bars/restaurants :)

• 1 month later...

Good thread. I've been wondering about the two separate cleared lots on the north side of W. Alabama just east of Mandell. Hope they'll be something cool.

Also noticed a recently cleared lot down the way on Yoakum just north of W. Alabama, across from the Annunciation Orthodox school. Used to be a dark brown, two-story old apartment complex from what I remember. Now, who knows? Who's buying up all these lots anyway?

• 8 months later...

You were apparently right on track. An update from swamplot:

Link

Not bad, but too bad about the parking - I'll take it over a vacant lot for sure. Should be a nice add for the area when (or if?) it happens

• The title was changed to West Alabama Demolitions
  • The title was changed to Sicardi Ayers Bacino Art Gallery At 1506 W. Alabama St.

Archived