Houston's ugly utility lines

sidegate

The city could get in on it too and replace traffic signals hanging on wires. I've seen them put more of those up to replace ones that were taken down.

Yeah - if anyting conveys a seat-of-your-pants approach to planning and development it's those things swinging about on wires.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll leave it up to you folks to decide about proper uses of taxpayer dollars.

However, for wide intersections, span wire is much more practical.

While placing the signal heads on the side of the intersection is allowable, it is preferable to have them over the travel lanes, especially if there is more than one possible indication per approach (i.e. left turn signal vs. through signal). There is much less "visual clutter" over the roadway than on the side of the road, so placing them overhead reduces the chance that they won't be seen.

And FWIW, most of the new signals I've seen in the city have been mast arm installations.

And it looks CHEAP. It says "Hello, we have no money here. Please deposit your trash in the gutter along the street."

We need a rich ghetto where we can keep all the rich people. Oh, wait, we already have those.

It is simply true, that these multiple overhead power lines smack of Asia. Japan is not a third world country, but they have these awful power lines all over the place. As a wealthy western nation, we should abolish these above ground lines. They are ugly and all the urban planning, skyscrapers, etc., will not make Houston look like a modern metropolis with these overhead wires.

It is simply true, that these multiple overhead power lines smack of Asia. Japan is not a third world country, but they have these awful power lines all over the place. As a wealthy western nation, we should abolish these above ground lines. They are ugly and all the urban planning, skyscrapers, etc., will not make Houston look like a modern metropolis with these overhead wires.

Houston looks like a "modern metropolis" because it is a modern metropolis. I'd rather my "wealthy western nation" spend money on something more useful than hiding the power lines.

Ever read C. M. Kornbluth's "The Marching Morons"?

There are other options:

• Don't look at them.
  • Learn to like them.

I rarely notice power lines, but when I do, I appreciate them.

Your answers boggle the mind at times. You can't miss them. They're everywhere. Not looking at them is not an option. Learning to like this is another story, but still not an option.

Why can't the discussion at least get started. Other cities bury them why can't we? Additionally, some entire neighborhoods bury them so not sure what argument is made to not have them buried.

Except for pulling up manhole covers, crawling down the hole and pumping out all of the water that has collected in the manhole during the storm that caused the outage, yes, it would be much easier.

Underground can be a much harsher environment for man's technological inventions. There is also the issue of cost. Back in the old days, when HL&P owned the entire deregulated system, they could propose burying lines and passing the cost on to the electricity customer in a regulated manner. Now, there is no mechanism for recouping these costs. There is no reason for Centerpoint to unilaterally spend the money just for beautification purposes, when there is likely to be no recouping of the costs.

But it's done elsewhere. Other cities have NO overheard wires. At least it could be done with new installations right?

Your answers boggle the mind at times.

Thank you.

You can't miss them. They're everywhere. Not looking at them is not an option. Learning to like this is another story, but still not an option.

I don't look at them. I can't understand why you look at them so much, especially if you don't like them. It's easy to avoid looking at them. They are above your line of sight if you look forward.

Why can't the discussion at least get started. Other cities bury them why can't we? Additionally, some entire neighborhoods bury them so not sure what argument is made to not have them buried.

The discussion is started. Why can't it end? I'm unaware of any city that burries all of its power lines. The argument against burrying them is cost, plain and simple. Well, a little more complicated. They bug you and some others, but the rest of us don't mind. Why should everyone pay to satisfy the aesthetics of a few?

I know Baltimore has wires. I watched a TV show filmed in Boston. It was called "The Wire".

I hereby decree that all future powerlines go under ground. B)

Since there is an ordinance against future billboard construction let's do the same with these pathetic & unsightly (and dangerous) power lines. Wait until next big, bad hurricane they all coming down people!

LOL

Everyone is a tad touchy lately.

I hereby decree that everyone who doesn't like looking at them can pay for burrying and maintaining them. And get off my lawn.

It's REALLY not that serious. My neighborhood (Ella Crossing) is no high fallutin paradise (it is VERY modest), but it doesn't have utility poles. They're ALL underground.

If our builder could do it, why can't others?

It's REALLY not that serious. My neighborhood (Ella Crossing) is no high fallutin paradise (it is VERY modest), but it doesn't have utility poles. They're ALL underground.

If our builder could do it, why can't others?

Most new construction IS placed underground. Your complaint however, is not about new subdivisions with unsightly poles. It is about 90 to 100 year old neighborhoods with unsightly poles. You are asking why the utility company won't rip out thousands of miles of perfectly good, functioning power lines, and dig through established neighborhoods and streets to place them underground. And, the answer is quite simple....exorbitant cost that no one is willing to pay.

I understand wishing the poles weren't there, but to ignore the astronomical cost to retrofit a neighborhood and continue to ask why it doesn't happen strikes me as pretty silly.

I've asked this question several times on this thread but it has yet to be answered - is the city *empowered* to require Centerpoint to do bury these lines as part of a hypothetical city beautification initiative, as they did with Clearchannel Communications, a company doing business within their city limits, to take down its billboards?

I've asked this question several times on this thread but it has yet to be answered - is the city *empowered* to require Centerpoint to do bury these lines as part of a hypothetical city beautification initiative, as they did with Clearchannel Communications, a company doing business within their city limits, to take down its billboards?

I certainly hope not. Centerpoint wouldn't pay for it with pixie dust. They would pay for it my damn money. Now get off my lawn.

Archived