Route 66

yuan1274

There's a new book I'm reading entitled "A Cultural History of Route 66, Hip to the Trip," by Peter B. Dedek. It's fascinating. There are only bits and pieces of that highway remaining today, most of it has literally bit the dust. Today Interstates 55, 44, 40, and 10 run where the old route went. Have any of you ever been on Route 66?

I've been on the stretch on Texas and New Mexico. In fact, a small bit of a town called Tucumcari, is on old 66 proper. Even have some of the old motels of that era are still up. Let me see if I can find pictures of it.

I live a few blocks from where it starts. There's a very small sign posted high up on a pole at the spot, but that's all. There really should be an arch or something else to mark the start of such an historic road.

I've been on it from California to New Mexico. I used to live right off of Route 66 in Rancho Cucamonga, CA. Route 66 goes right through Cucamonga.

There really is a town called Cucamonga? I thought that was fiction. But then again, I thought that Timbuktu was fiction, but there really is a place with that name in the African country or Mali. But I'm only about halfway through the book. Maybe when it gets to California it will mention Cucamonga.

I've been on the stretch on Texas and New Mexico. In fact, a small bit of a town called Tucumcari, is on old 66 proper. Even have some of the old motels of that era are still up. Let me see if I can find pictures of it.

Yes, the book has some photos of old motels on Route 66 in Tucumcari, NM.

There really is a town called Cucamonga? I thought that was fiction. But then again, I thought that Timbuktu was fiction, but there really is a place with that name in the African country or Mali. But I'm only about halfway through the book. Maybe when it gets to California it will mention Cucamonga.

True enough...the towns of Alta Loma, Etiwanda, and Cucamonga joined together and became the City of Rancho Cucamonga. Cucamonga is an American Indian word meaning (I think) sandy place and the prominent mountain in Cucamonga is called Mt. Cucamonga. The city was named after the Mountain. It's the most desirable city in one of the least desirable parts of Southern California.

I've been on it a few times, mostly in Arizona, where alot of it seems to still be there. Its a big street in Flagstaff.

Ditto. Whatever charm it once had seems to be mostly gone from what I could see. It seems to support a pocket industry of souvenir refrigerator magnets and the like.

I've driven some of the original segments in Oklahoma and Texas. It's quite interesting in some places, especially where it branches off from I-44. Some states have done a pretty good job of marking the original route, so that you can easily navigate along the different segments that still remain.

I live a few blocks from where it starts. There's a very small sign posted high up on a pole at the spot, but that's all. There really should be an arch or something else to mark the start of such an historic road.

Yes, this book tells about when the shield was taken down where the highway begins in Chicago and replaced with a historical sign. It was a big gathering of reporters, Route 66 enthusiasts, etc.

Yes, this book tells about when the shield was taken down where the highway begins in Chicago and replaced with a historical sign. It was a big gathering of reporters, Route 66 enthusiasts, etc.

And I'm having a problem understanding something in this book. It says that when the interstates were built, that interstates had "limited access" and that highways such as Route 66 has "unlimited access." I know that I sound dense to most of you. But can someone explain to me what is "limited access" and what "unlimited access" is?

And I'm having a problem understanding something in this book. It says that when the interstates were built, that interstates had "limited access" and that highways such as Route 66 has "unlimited access." I know that I sound dense to most of you. But can someone explain to me what is "limited access" and what "unlimited access" is?

Not dense at all.

Technically, interstates are "controlled access" facilities, where all access to the roadway from adjacent property is denied and the facility is only accessed at points designated by the state DOT (entrance and exit ramps).

A limited access facility is one where the adjacent property owners have no right to access the facility, but such access may be granted by the DOT. A limited access facility can still have traffic signals and a few driveways (if property is landlocked and has no other access to the roadway network).

An example of an unlimited access facility would be an urban or suburban street, where access is generally granted by the city (or after a traffic impact analysis if one is required). Many of the old US Highways (such as US 66) were unlimited access facilities before the advent of the freeway (think US 290 through Giddings or Elgin as examples).

Not dense at all.

Technically, interstates are "controlled access" facilities, where all access to the roadway from adjacent property is denied and the facility is only accessed at points designated by the state DOT (entrance and exit ramps).

A limited access facility is one where the adjacent property owners have no right to access the facility, but such access may be granted by the DOT. A limited access facility can still have traffic signals and a few driveways (if property is landlocked and has no other access to the roadway network).

An example of an unlimited access facility would be an urban or suburban street, where access is generally granted by the city (or after a traffic impact analysis if one is required). Many of the old US Highways (such as US 66) were unlimited access facilities before the advent of the freeway (think US 290 through Giddings or Elgin as examples).

Yes, you confirm what I was starting to think. You can't get onto an interstate just anywhere. You have to wait until you come to an entrance ramp. And you can't just turn off of an interstate just anywhere. You have to wait until you come to an exit ramp. You can enter a street or highway almost anywhere. Thanks.

Archived