Paper or Plastic?

ricco67

what do you use and why?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you think is Enironmentally friendly and what do you use?

• Paper
    • Plastic
    • Cloth
    • Paper is friendlier
    • Plastic is friendlier

I like how people are shifting over from plastic bags and pushing the paper bag, claiming that it is environmentally friendly. Huh?

Wasn't it back in the 80's that people wanted to use the PLASTIC bags instead of paper bags because they wanted to save the trees AND you could reuse the plastic bags?

Does that mean in 2020 we're going to go BACK to plastic bags?

I believe plastic is actually better, I recycle mine or use them as mini trash bags in my car and home, you can't really reuse a paper bag and I refuse to carry around a cloth bag just for groceries.

Well, in THOSE cities they can put up their own poll.

they do it cause it IS more environmentally friendly. they make them pay 0.25 each time they use a grocery cart. when the cart is returned, you get your 0.25 back. you sure don't see ANY stray carts.

I try to use a cloth bag as often as possible (sometimes I forget it).

I would buy those cloth bags from HEB, but the small ones are made in China, and the larger ones are made in India.

If I can prevent it, I'd rather not support them more than we have too (iPod Touch, why did you have to be made in China. . why!)

At least the plastic bags are from the USA. (I hope. . .)

I'm one of those tote bag people also. It's easy because I go the the store often and only buy a few things at once.

When I do the 'big' shopping for pantry staples and non-food items, we get plastic, which get re-used when we clean out the cat box, in the cars, etc.

I would buy those cloth bags from HEB, but the small ones are made in China, and the larger ones are made in India.

If I can prevent it, I'd rather not support them more than we have too (iPod Touch, why did you have to be made in China. . why!)

so an iPod Touch is a NEED?

I shop like crunch, a bunch of little trips throughout the week for personal. When it comes to clients, I simply use plastic plastic bags. It's just plain easier to carry in one or two trips.

I try not to have anything extra in my car except for a battery charger, spare, and Booby Trapped Magazines containing HAIF cards. :D I don't like clutter in my car drives me a bit crazy. No pun intended.

so an iPod Touch is a NEED?

Let me know when the USA makes an iPod Touch and you can tease me and critique each word I type. It was in reference to a choice. Generally, I don't think you can buy a cellphone, mp3 player, or any small poratable electronic now not made in China.

I can buy a cloth bag not made in China bud, I just have to look elsewhere.

Heck, I'd rather support a Mexican made cloth bag.

You want to discuss further about the "Ipod Touch as a need" digression, private message me. Is that your only desire on HAIF to nitpick?

Long story short, I will buy cloth bags to support the cause when I find something decent not made in China, Taiwan, India.

Paper is second in line, but rarely is it offered anymore.

I do recycle my plastic bags at the HEB when I get to many collected at home.

It's easy to buy a bag from wherever you'd like...there are tons out there that are organic and local.

I'd rather not buy one from a particular grocery store with logos on it.

http://tomorrowsworld.com/index.asp?PageAc...&ProdID=621

http://www.reusablebags.com/

http://www.enviro-tote.com/

That was a better response, thank you sevfiv.

Edited by Pumapayam

It's easy to buy a bag from wherever you'd like...there are tons out there that are organic and local.

I'd rather not buy one from a particular grocery store with logos on it.

http://tomorrowsworld.com/index.asp?PageAc...&ProdID=621

http://www.reusablebags.com/

http://www.enviro-tote.com/

I'm a fan of the plaid, plastic ones that are popular south o' the border. Available at the dollar store. More roomy, and cheap.

I've got a number of old tote bags laying around, especially the company logo-convention crap holder variety.

Edited by crunchtastic

I'm a fan of the plaid, plastic ones that are popular south o' the border. Available at the dollar store. More roomy, and cheap.

I've got a number of old tote bags laying around, especially the company logo-convention crap holder variety.

I have 5 cloth bags I take with me. If I forget, I always ask for paper, it biodegrades and it can be recycled. Plastic stays with us forever if its not recycled.

\

Oh yeah, and those stupid plastic bags roll all around the back of the car and the handles rip off causing a major headache.

Edited by KatieDidIt

Let me know when the USA makes an iPod Touch and you can tease me and critique each word I type. It was in reference to a choice. Generally, I don't think you can buy a cellphone, mp3 player, or any small poratable electronic now not made in China.

I can buy a cloth bag not made in China bud, I just have to look elsewhere.

Heck, I'd rather support a Mexican made cloth bag.

LOL that makes all us mexicans feel a lot better. :rolleyes:

of course it should be a choice. making a statement like the following makes me think otherwise.

If I can prevent it, I'd rather not support them more than we have too (iPod Touch, why did you have to be made in China

I have 5 cloth bags I take with me. If I forget, I always ask for paper, it biodegrades and it can be recycled. Plastic stays with us forever if its not recycled.

Oh yeah, and those stupid plastic bags roll all around the back of the car and the handles rip off causing a major headache.

This is a common misconception: In order for it to biodegrade, it has to be exposed to the elements (sun, wind, etc) to actually break down to its major componants, the plastic bags can decompose just not as fast. The problem is when you throw away a paper or plastic bags away, they are buried under OTHER garbage at landfills and don't get a chance to breakdown like they are supposed to. To actually take advantage of recycling you have to make an effort to actually put the darned things in recycling bins around the city. It takes actual effort, if not, you're just adding a different substance to the landfill, along with the food you throw away.

Speaking of which, the FOOD you throw away in the garbage doesn't decompose as quickly either. One article I read said that they dug down 40-50 feet in a landfill and picked up hotdogs and other foods which were recognizable.

Recycling is all great to feel good and such, but few people want to take the effort.

they do it cause it IS more environmentally friendly. they make them pay 0.25 each time they use a grocery cart. when the cart is returned, you get your 0.25 back. you sure don't see ANY stray carts.

Aushon's used to do that. Problem was you had to guard your cart constantly. Turn around and grab a can a peas and the cart would be gone when you got back.

Trees are grown specifically to produce paper, therefore this is a renewable source.

Every time they give me plastic bags, the groceries end up all over the back of my car and I have to resack to take inside. I ask for paper. I use the paper bags to collect the aluminum cans I use. The collectors empty the bag out into the aluminum compartment and put the bag in the paper compartment. How hard is that? I hate the plastic also because you see them blowing and littering virtally everywhere.

Today in the HBJ:

Local shoppers now have the opportunity to participate in Kroger's "Bag 2 Bag" program in which they can bring used plastic bags of various types for recycling.

The grocer also now sells eco-friendly reusable mesh totes for less than $1.

Meanwhile, H-E-B plans to celebrate Earth Day by giving away 150,000 reusable shopping bags statewide.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories...63&ana=e_du

I use paper bags when I can. They're often made from recycled paper anyways, and even if they're not, they are easier to recycle than plastic (my local recycling center does not take plastic bags, the closest place I can find that recycles them is Central Market). I generally find paper bags don't tear as easily as plastic bags and I actually use them to sort my recyclables (cardboard, plastic, etc). Plus, I've got about 1000 plastic bags under my sink from places that don't give me a choice so I don't want to accumulate any more of those!

I prefer paper bags. They're easier to recycle, they don't tip over, and they hold more if you know how to bag groceries correctly. I'd use cloth, but I usually only go to the store once a week.

Sometimes, if I run out of something, I'll run to the store and pick up one item. I hate how the clerk always puts it in a plastic bag, no matter how small it is. I usually stop them and tell them not to waste a bag.