Westchase District

Merely sitting inside their cars waiting for the lights to change. The trouble makers stopped on both opposite sides of one college girl and riddled her car with bullets. She was about 21 yrs old just going to school. The other victims were just people coming from work or going to the mall. Speaking of malls, they cant possibly still have Sharpstown Mall open? That thing needs to be put out of its misery. Was perfect family setting 25-30 years ago. Now a death trap. Nee to build a mortuary next door save people a trip or 2. That whole area is pretty much wastland. Mushroom cloud the whole joint.

So, what was her name? Are there any news articles about it?

So, what was her name? Are there any news articles about it?

That was one of so many no one could remember the names. If you must know check in chron.com The particular situation with that student was about 2 1/2 yrs ago, but the area has worsened since then. Trust me on that one.

I meant it's upscale "compared" to war torn Southwest Houston. Even police are afraid to go to that part of town. AK-47 is the order of the day. It rivals South Central LA and Oakland, Ca. Corner of Beechnut/59 frwy had been location of at least 4 killings where innocent drivers/people were merely waiting for the lights to change so they could get on the frwy. Basically, if a person doesnt dress/act like they just came out of prison you don't fit in. Gotta look gangsta or else! Westchase anyday lets keep it this way.

I live at that corner and I've never heard any such thing. Mind providing information.

SW Houston is NOT as bad as many try to make it out to be. The neighborhoods are still friendly and open. With the exception of a few apartment complexes, there is a relatively low amount of crime, and an especially low amount of violent crime for the image the area has. Beechnut and 59 is NOT dangerous.

Merely sitting inside their cars waiting for the lights to change. The trouble makers stopped on both opposite sides of one college girl and riddled her car with bullets. She was about 21 yrs old just going to school. The other victims were just people coming from work or going to the mall. Speaking of malls, they cant possibly still have Sharpstown Mall open? That thing needs to be put out of its misery. Was perfect family setting 25-30 years ago. Now a death trap. Nee to build a mortuary next door save people a trip or 2. That whole area is pretty much wastland. Mushroom cloud the whole joint.

Again, false information. The incident you are speaking of was at sharpstown mall about 6 years ago. A girl from the SE side of town was shot and killed in the parking lot by people who FOLLOWED her from the SE side of town. It was gang related, and had nothing to do with Sharpstown or the SW side.

That is why homes their are so cheap.

It is unfortunate, since the location makes it ideal for a great livable space.

The prices of homes in the area are increasing. The values and sale prices in the area are growing at a pretty steady clip.

That was one of so many no one could remember the names. If you must know check in chron.com The particular situation with that student was about 2 1/2 yrs ago, but the area has worsened since then. Trust me on that one.

*sigh* gotta love misinformation.

The idea that SW Houston or even Westchase is a war zone is pretty laughable. Most crimes happen within the apartment complexes there (which need to be cleaned up), but outside is pretty safe. There isn't another place in the whole region with a comparibly-sized population either. You will have a worse time living in Midtown, Montrose, the Heights, or the SE side, but I don't think that is reason to bash them either.

You will have a worse time living in Midtown, Montrose, the Heights, or the SE side, but I don't think that is reason to bash them either.

I think you just did.

Last weekend we went out near Braeburn Country Club and were surprised at how the neighborhoods have really gone downhill in the vicinity. My brother used to work at 68's fire station in the late 90's and even since then it has become noticeably worse. All "old" and new parts of town have their problems.

Near Bissonett it has gotten pretty bad, but that is primarily on the main roads and apt complexes.

The neighborhoods are still pretty decent. My neighborhood in particular is very nice still, and across bellaire, around the golf course, the houses are even nicer. Some going for the 500k mark. Not bad for a 50 year old house in the ghetto.

I love sharpstown. So long as it is heading in the right direction, I'll never leave, and I'll fight to make it a better place like I have been. Chances are, I'll run for city council at some point too.

I love sharpstown. So long as it is heading in the right direction, I'll never leave, and I'll fight to make it a better place like I have been. Chances are, I'll run for city council at some point too.

You're the kind of people we need more of! i like your attitude because you want to get involved. That is becoming more rare.

• 5 months later...

In the latest Westchase district newsletter, there are renderings of some new buildings going up.

The first is Granite Westchase II and says it will add more than 300,000 sqf. The building will be located adjacent to Granite Westchase I on the northeast corner of Richmond and Beltway 8. The building will be LEED certified. The parking garages and building will connect in case of bad weather. Five floors have been pre-leased.

The other will be developed by Myers, Crow & Saviers and will be two speculative office buildings to go up simultaneously.

The newsletter also says, "two new hotels are under construction (or will be soon)"

The last couple developments it mentions is Sueba building the 3-story (w/ 5-story parking garage) Ventura Lofts. It says they're under construction now and will open in Spring of '08. The other is called Portico. It's the first phase of building in Richfield's planned mix-used development.

This Long Range plan for the Westchase district has some interesting stuff in it as well.

Here is the page that breaks down the document into separate pdf forms.

Some things that caught my eye are listed on page 16 and include:

- Developing a Canal network (renderings and plans for this are shown later in the document)

- Creating a connected network of open spaces

- Transforming streets into more attractive and convenient places

- Breaking up superblocks into smaller grid

- Improving transit and shared parking

-

They just renovated the Target which partially stands where the parking garage is proposed.

Can't wait until they open that Jason's Deli in same parking lot near the Taco Cabana.

They need to level all of the old, old shopping strips across the street from Target like where the nasty Church's, dollar store and junk is. Perfect spot for a highrise anything. :P

• 10 months later...

http://recenter.tamu.edu/mnews/newsSearch....ON&CID=1938

Did we report this?

Simmons Vedder Partners have purchased the 18-acre Westchase Park to clear the way for an office and hotel project.

The office component will include two six-story buildings with parking garages, totaling 540,000 sf. By the third quarter, Moody National Cos. will begin construction on a 142-room Hyatt Place hotel with 6,500 sf of meeting space.

I think it may be the site of the demolished Tinseltown.

There is a big artists rendering of the structure on site. This immediate area is bursting with developement. You can register for updates of it all on that website I pasted above. :D

There's now a tower crane sitting right where the theater used to be.

and it appears as if most of the trees/shrubs will be save and incorporated into the end result. Perhaps.

Local eateries will reap the benefits once it opens. Look out Red Robin! :D

pic-ch-aaaahhhhss!

HPD has been kicing ass all up and down Briar Forest the past two weeks. Mounted Patrol everywhere. Big community meeting this morning at Food Town with promises of a total "lock down until cleaned out of the bad elements." I wonder if whomever is in charge of this project has some pull with the Mayor???

HPD has been kicing ass all up and down Briar Forest the past two weeks. Mounted Patrol everywhere. Big community meeting this morning at Food Town with promises of a total "lock down until cleaned out of the bad elements." I wonder if whomever is in charge of this project has some pull with the Mayor???

The management should try doubling the rent on all area apts and see what happens. I think you meant to say kicking ass not kissing ass right? We are smack in the middle and can tell you there are always suspicious ones milling about in the residential areas just behind Westheimer. We have noticed more HPD pulling cars over for speeding but thats it.

The management should try doubling the rent on all area apts and see what happens. I think you meant to say kicking ass not kissing ass right? We are smack in the middle and can tell you there are always suspicious ones milling about in the residential areas just behind Westheimer. We have noticed more HPD pulling cars over for speeding but thats it.

Well, honestly low-income folks have got to have some place to live and they don't deserve the mess that has moved into that area either. All that said, if they plowed down The Park at Lakeside and Food Town, no one would shed a tear.

Here was the email that I posted on another Westchase thread:

I am a member of the Houston Police Department's Westside Tactical Unit. We have been conducting police enforcement activity around the Lakeside Estates Apartments. I wanted to let you know about the Keep Houston Safe Campaign. The Police Department will have a kickoff and press conference on May 8 (Thursday) at 9:00 a.m. at the Food Town located at Wilcrest and Briar Forest. The Chief or an Executive Chief representative will be speaking. There will be representatives from Pct 5 as well as (we hope) Councilwoman Pam Holmes. The HPD Command Post Vehicle will be deployed for a few days starting Thursday at the Food Town. There will be an increase in police activity for the next few months. The press conference is open for anyone to attend. Please pass the word if anyone in your subdivision would like to attend.

Thank you for your continued support for our efforts in the area. Capt Gerstner and Lt Kubiak forwarded the emails you wrote. The officers who work the area are always thrilled to see the public support for their actions. If we can serve you in the future, please contact me.

Randy

Randal Jeansonne, Senior Police Officer

Houston Police Department

Westside Tactical Unit

3203 S. Dairy Ashford

Houston, Texas 77082

(Office) 281-584-4933

(Fax) 281-584-4708

Archived