Wolfgang Puck Express

Have any of you eatin at Wolfgang Puck Expresses? I want to go there next time I am in Houston so I wanted to ask. The main reason I ask, is because I went to the website, and they don't list Houston as a location of one, but I see it all the time on Westhiemer near beltway 8. Is it closed? If it is still open why isin't Houston listed?

logo.gif

http://www.wolfgangpuck.com/myrestaurants/...s/locations.php

• 2 weeks later...
You're paying for the name and the concept. Wolfgang is not there to cook the food however so about 90% of the desired effect is lost.

I think the same is happening to the Yao restaurant. I've yet to hear a good review. Appearantly his name along isn't enough to make the food taste good and the service top notch.

where is yao's (i presume ming?)? ... asian food?

Rob Walsh said it's no good.

Actually, that's a gross oversimplification.

Robb (not Rob) Walsh complained it was not as adventurous as Spago (no kidding! the prices aren't as adventurous either!), he complained about Puck selling his name everywhere, but he actually admitted the food was pretty good.

Go back and read his column carefully. I'm hesitant to call it a review because it was more about what Walsh didn't like about the concept than the food itself. But Walsh actually spoke fairly well of the food to the extent he wrote about it.

I've had pizza and salad at the location, and they're both very good. I don't know if the "fresh/fast" food concept (think Cafe Express, which is inferior in my opinion) will sell in Houston ultimately, but that's what Puck's is doing -- preparing the stuff right in front of anyone who wants to watch; I watched the joint's executive chef prepare my pizza last time. It may be that Houstonians prefer their fast food from McDonald's, though. Our loss if so.

Puck's also has free wifi, so if you want to steal their signal at the adjacent Starbuck's and save their hefty fee, you can.

I haven't been there, but one of the reviews I read about the place has stuck with me. The reviewer mentioned that Chef Boyardee was an actual person and was once considered to be an extrordinary culinary genius. Look what happened to him after selling his name......

not to mention colonel sanders. i was watching a show on him on the history channel and he sold his recipe and restaurants for nothing. when it went public he refused the stock option and so secretaries of the company were walking around millionaires and he had basically nothing.

he was not pleased with the recipes either, especially the new mashed potatoes.

am i thinking of the right corner?  by luther's bbq?  and this shoe repair place?  i think they is also a tcby there?

It must be in the old Churrasco's building be Benihana. I have not seen it yet, but that is the only place it coul go at the SW corner of Gessner and Westheimer. Unless it is in that old Kroger Shopping Center which I highly doubt.

i'm referring to yao's right now .. not wolfgang's ...

So am I. Wolfgang's resturant is further west on Westhiemer. It is in the Carrillion Shopping center where Sherlocks, Chilis and La Madeline are located. I know the area extremely well. I have not been over there in the last month so I am not sure where Yao's resturant is. I assume it is by the Benihana.

So am I.  Wolfgang's resturant is further west on Westhiemer.  It is in the Carrillion Shopping center where Sherlocks, Chilis and La Madeline are located.  I know the area extremely well.  I have not been over there in the last month so I am not sure where Yao's resturant is.    I assume it is by the Benihana.

ok ... i will have to check that out ... normally in my travels along westheimer i am so busy making sure i am not run over by freewheeling drivers in other lanes (and keeping up my speed which varies from an all out race from light to light, to stop and go traffic) that i rarely even look to the sides of me.

Yao's is in the old-shopping center behind Churascos. Next to Kasra's and Tuesday Morning's.

So it is on the old Kroger Shopping Center. I would have never thought it. I remember growing up watching movies at the AMC Westchase 5 in that same center. There used to be a Hobby Shop next to the theatre. I kissed my first girl at that theater. I think we were watching RAMBO. Good Stuff.

So it is on the old Kroger Shopping Center.  I would have never thought it.  I remember growing up watching movies at the AMC Westchase 5 in that same center.  There used to be a Hobby Shop next to the theatre.  I kissed my first girl at that theater.  I think we were watching RAMBO.  Good Stuff.

ok. gotcha. i know exactly where that is.

• 2 months later...
That will help that section of Main a lot.  Even if the food isn't that great, Wolfgang Puck is a name that will bring people out to see it and try it.  Foot traffic is what everyone is looking for.

i tried the one out by me (westheimer just east of the beltway) and it was DECENT not earth shattering. the food was good, but i thought a little pricey ($11+ for a bowl of chicken pasta!?!). oh well, the atmosphere was nice and they do have free wireless and freshly made food.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...