Restaurant Service

houstonmacbro

Last Wednesday I was out and it was getting to be dinner time so my partner and I stopped in at Doneraki at Gulfgate. We were seated immediately and I went to the bathroom to wash up. I came back, several minutes later and we had not been approached by our waiter.

When a waiter passed by I asked was he our waiter and he kinda sneered and said "Yes, I'll be with you..." We still had no chips or water on the table and this was at least 7 minutes into our arrival. Now, the restaurant wasn't crowded and he didn't have that many tables in his section (maybe 2 other small tables).

I was kinda pissed at his attitude so I got up and left.

Should I have brought this to the attention of the manager, or should I have waited, or should I had done what I did?

What would you have done and how do you deal with perceived (or real) poor service?

Edited by houstonmacbro

I had something like that as well. I simply went back to the hostess and asked to be seated someplace else. When they tried to seat me in the same general area, I said "No" I want to sit in a different area.

What got me even more aggravated was that it wasn't that busy. If it was seriously busy, I'd cut some slack, but the place was dead. I forget exactly, but the manager got involved and I got a 50% comp on my check.

I had something like that as well. I simply went back to the hostess and asked to be seated someplace else. When they tried to seat me in the same general area, I said "No" I want to sit in a different area.

What got me even more aggravated was that it wasn't that busy. If it was seriously busy, I'd cut some slack, but the place was dead. I forget exactly, but the manager got involved and I got a 50% comp on my check.

Yeah, in hindsight I probably should have mentioned it to the manager, but the fact of the matter was I was starving, and I just wanted to eat. We left and had Chinese buffet somewhere a ways down I45. We were seated immediately, greeted with a smile, and got to watch the end of the Rocket's game.

I had this happen to me once, at a Vietnamese place down here. It was 8:00 p.m. I walked into the restaurant. It was me and probably one or two other tables. No one else. No one. Place was empty. I sat there for 5 mins, 10 mins, 15 mins... no service... 20 mins... Then I looked at the owner/manager in the eye, didn't say a word, got up and walked out. Ridiculous.

If you get crappy service after being seated (I mean really, really bad service) - don't tip. I know that sounds awful and I rarely ever resort to not tipping, but sometimes, you got to send a message.

I didn't even want to order, much less tip. In fact, I the waiter's whole vibe just turned me off to wanting to eat there.

If I am about to drop $25 - $40 on a meal then the establishment should kinda be happy I'm there. They don't have to wipe my butt, but being ignored is not how I want to be treated.

There's something about my wife and me that makes us invisible in restaurants. We've had this happen to us about four times in the last year. Just like you -- we sit down and no one serves us.

I give the place ten minutes, and after that I walk. I also make it known while on our way out why we're leaving. The last time this happened, we got a $35 gift card from the restaurant. I doubt I'll ever use it.

I also walk out of restaurants that are cash only. Even if I have cash, I won't dine at a cash-only place. I walked out of one just two days ago. If you want my business, you'll take my form of payment. It's Business 101.

There's one breakfast place I know of that is strange -- it only takes cash or American Express. No Visa, MC, or anything else. I wonder how something like that happens.

There's something about my wife and me that makes us invisible in restaurants. We've had this happen to us about four times in the last year. Just like you -- we sit down and no one serves us.

I give the place ten minutes, and after that I walk. I also make it known while on our way out why we're leaving. The last time this happened, we got a $35 gift card from the restaurant. I doubt I'll ever use it.

I also walk out of restaurants that are cash only. Even if I have cash, I won't dine at a cash-only place. I walked out of one just two days ago. If you want my business, you'll take my form of payment. It's Business 101.

There's one breakfast place I know of that is strange -- it only takes cash or American Express. No Visa, MC, or anything else. I wonder how something like that happens.

Honestly, I would have given my visit a bit more time had it been really busy or had the waiter seemed cordial (neither condition existed).

I've done it both ways. There have been times where we were ignored and eventually I hunt down any waiter I can find and just tell them what we want and where we are sitting. So far that has gotten us quicker service but attitude for the rest of the night. Low/no tips follow accordingly, to me you have to earn a tip, it is specifically for service, and if I get none neither do they.

Another time we sat down and no one even got our drinks for 10 minutes. We knew who our waitress was and could see that this huge table of 15 was taking all of her energy, so we just moved to another spot and got immediately served. After that huge party left the waitress came by and apologized because she heard we moved out of her section. I think it all depends on the place and the staff, some handle things much better than others.

I don't think this happens to me. I like going places where I know the wait staff by face if not by name. I was heartbroken when my favorite waitress at NY Coffee Shop moved to Galveston last week. Most of the waitresses there are top notch, but she was spectacular.

I suppose if I was ignored someplace and I really wanted the food, I would raise a ruckus. If I didn't, I would just leave and never return.

I guess after being in Houston for so many years we've become picky about where we go out to eat, sp we rarely encounter bad service. I mean this is Houston, bad service will kill a place because there are 50 other restuarants that are incredible within a 2 mile radius.

I have left a penny as a tip before for horrific service. I think that hits it home more than no tip.

I guess after being in Houston for so many years we've become picky about where we go out to eat, sp we rarely encounter bad service. I mean this is Houston, bad service will kill a place because there are 50 other restuarants that are incredible within a 2 mile radius.

I have left a penny as a tip before for horrific service. I think that hits it home more than no tip.

I like the 1 cent tip idea. Subtle, yet effective.

This is very true as its evidenced on how packed places are, even on a Monday or Tuesday nights.

If I go to a new place and I get "okay" service, i'll give it another shot or two if the food is good. Even the best of restaurants have bad days.

Yeah, you have 2 ways to go, you should have been greeted within 2 minutes, and drinks and chips served within another 2 of that. Your order should have been taken and put in within 5. Your appetizer should be out 5 to 6 after the order, the food should be out within 15 minutes of the appetizer. NOW, not even being approached within 5 minutes you should definately get SOMEONE'S attention, and speak to a manager, then it is up to you whether you want to stay around and be ignored some more, or you want to trudge on through witht he meal and show your displeasure in your tip. You can also simply walk out at any point of the meal and not pay for anything, or pay for what you have already gotten(drinks, app.) and leave no tip and tell all your friends WHERE to avoid.

This is the opposite, but I recently went to Pappasitos, and had pretty much one of the best waitress experiences. She was great, so friendly, attentive, etc..

When we left I asked to see the manager, the manager comes out looking ready to apologize for something, and I let him know how great the waitress was and all that. I'll let management know when service was crap, but I'll also let management know when one of their employees went above and beyond. Also, if you get crap service, I suggest the complain to managment method over the stiff the tip method. Complaining to managment more times than not will get you a gift certificate for your next visit, or something like that.

I usually highlight it with a damn good tip, but I like the idea of letting the manager know. I imagine people who work in that industry appreciate it very much.

You bet they do. I have been know as to go so far as calling the Corporate offices of Whataburger to let them know what a fine experience I just had with their service and one of the best burgers I had ever eatin' at ANY restaurant. It really does show how much they appreciate those calls as well, because you KNOW that all they get is "Somebody screwed up my order !!!" calls all day long.

The tip is dear to there heart, I frequent Chili's on fairmont often. They know us and they take care of us. Most guys that are waiters are jerks, They often ask for my ID in a rude way when i order my beer.(Can i see your ID?(like come on i know your not legal look.) My rule any where i go "You take care of me, I take care of you."

In Houston with the high number of places to dine out I must say the majority of the ones I've been to realize that service must meet a minimum expectation just to compete. However, since moving to Corpus Christi many places here have employees who are incompetent, apathetic, and are both most of the time.

Places to avoid while visiting the Coastal Bend:

Big Fisherman in Rockport (food poisoning)

Aka Sushi/Hibachi on Everhart (rip-off)

Joe's Crab Shack (both locations)

King's Inn in Riviera (decent seafood, adequate service, owned and operated by bigots)

Any Weinerschnitzel store

Luby's Cafeteria near Spohn South hospital (operated by morons)

Blackbeard's on North Beach. Overpriced, so-so food, service okay.

Recommendations for dining out:

U&I Restaurant on Water St. They have a mesquite-fired charbroiler, excellent steaks and seafood. Moderately priced.

Water St. Seafood also on Water St. Most if not all seafood is fresh, about what you'd spend at Red Lobster.

Kiko's Mexican Restaurant on Everhart. Family owned and operated, 30 years running. probably the best Tex-Mex you'll find in the area that has family pride in their recipes and quality of service. Come hungry and be prepared to wait, as they're consistently packed (usually 30 minutes) but worth it.

Pier 99 Seafood on North Beach, next to the USS Lexington. Unpretentious, very casual, moderately priced and good value for the dollar. Service usually consistent, all seafood is fresh, good experience for all. Popular among visitors to the Lex and other attractions.

During a Spring Break trip for the seniors of the Class of 2007 of my high school, a group of kids who wanted to watch an Astros game in Orlando came on a bus. We stopped at iHOP, but it had pretty bad service. I ordered cheese sticks but I got chicken tenders. Normally I wouldn't mind but I was watching my money (and the tenders cost more), so I asked for cheese sticks and the waitress treated me like I ordered the tenders and that I was lying. WHAT? The other kids noticed that the service was downright rude, so they made a frown face out of pennies.

For lunch we went to a Ponderosa Steakhouse and we had a nice waiter, so we made a smiley face out of silver coins. The hair was with dollar bills and the nose was a 1 dollar gold coin.

Edited by VicMan

I agree with Katie - there just isn't much room for bad service in this town.

If I know things are going to be crappy from the beginning (lack of initial acknowledgment, etc) I'd just leave rather than sit through a less-than-pleasant dining experience. If something goes wrong after or during, I just deal and then put the place on the do-not-return list. Fortunately, at the present time my favorite restaurants food-wise are all on par service-wise too.

I agree with Katie - there just isn't much room for bad service in this town.

If I know things are going to be crappy from the beginning (lack of initial acknowledgment, etc) I'd just leave rather than sit through a less-than-pleasant dining experience. If something goes wrong after or during, I just deal and then put the place on the do-not-return list. Fortunately, at the present time my favorite restaurants food-wise are all on par service-wise too.

It was crappy from the beginning.

Recently we went back to the Saltgrass we had bad service. We got an awesome waiter that was busy but made up for it for with his enthusiasm and his ability to see when we were ready to move to the next step in our ordering. Some other waiters looked like they were standing still compared to this kid.

I handed put an extra 20 for him in the envelope and called the manager. He was a bit nervous when he talked to her (before he opened the bill) and she rushed over thinking of some apology I think. After we gave the waiter the praise I saw the him by the register raise his eyebrows when he finally saw the tip. It was funny.

On a sidenote:

I'm asking those of you in Midtown to give a new restaurant a shot when it opens up. I always like to plug new places and I look forward to eating here.