Surface Lot South Of Market Square

roadrunner

I'm rather surprised by that as well.

But I don't think that part of downtown is "sexy" anymore to developers.

It would be rather kickin' if they built at least a modest office building there. Lord knows Frank's pizza would love to see that block go away.

(Note to self, go by Franks, get pizza today. Yum.)

I'm rather surprised by that as well.

But I don't think that part of downtown is "sexy" anymore to developers.

It would be rather kickin' if they built at least a modest office building there. Lord knows Frank's pizza would love to see that block go away.

(Note to self, go by Franks, get pizza today. Yum.)

That's something I don't understand. The architecture in the Theater and Historic Districts are the best in all of downtown. The activity on the east side is great, but if I were a developer this is the first block I would look at.

I'd also want to get Market Square Park dramatically rehabbed. ;)

I think that's the problem. Market Square in its current design just doesn't work. The controlled walkways effectively restrict you to about 5% of the actual land area, and give you the sense that this is a place to be walked through rather than a place to relax and be.

With a good redesign, this could draw development the way that Discovery Green currently is.

ferrisplaza.jpg

Dallas seems to have gotten one right.

I guess we should be keeping our eye on this page:

http://www.mandarinoriental.com/hotel/520000016.asp

Hmm I wasn't aware that they are so aggressive with the hotel/residences in the Caribbean.

I've been to the Manhattan Mandarin, before the rest of the Columbus Circle rehab was finished, a couple of years back.

OMG. I could get spoiled that way.

I guess we should be keeping our eye on this page:

http://www.mandarinoriental.com/hotel/520000016.asp

First I heard of this development, but I am all for it! Would be a tight squeeze in this mentioned spot though. Real tight.

and yep that Frank's supreme pizza is killer. Some parmesan heightens the euphoria. :P

H-town man, that is a plaza, not a square.

Google some of the traditional European squares like Leicester and you'll see the Market Square measures up.

Okay, so here's Leicester Square:

LeicesterSquareCard.jpg

Leicester%20Square.jpg

And here's the one in Dallas:

ferrisplaza.jpg

0501ferris.jpg

I'm not really seeing this distinction you're talking about. If anything, the one in Dallas seems more like Leicester Square than Market Square (which I could not find a decent picture of) does to either of them.

At any rate, as a one block park, I think the one in Dallas does a much better job at creating an inviting place for people to sit down and gather in.

Edited by H-Town Man