Parking Or Standing

ricco67

I was wondering if there is a different between standing and parking in Houston?

Reason being is that I had a client of mine complaining that he got a ticket waiting on his elderly neighbor(disabled) inside of a store and parked in the handicapped spot and waited for her (and his wife) to come out.

Not 30 seconds after she went in a cop came by, saw him, gave him a ticket and said he was parking in a handicap zone (DUH!) but when he tried to explain the officer simply wrote her a ticket.

Can she fight the ticket because she could have easily pulled out and had the car running or what?

edit: bad spelling. too little coffee

Do not ever park in front of the Federal Building unless you can afford a $200.00 fine. Take a glance next time you pass by there and see how many signs are crammed into each other. Anyone can get confused. They snuck in a handicap sign recently and wrote me one at 8:45 at night!? So these ticket writers are going gung-ho even after dark.

A few years ago when Minute Maid park was pretty new, I worked there in the evenings. Always parked my car in the "safe area". Came back from work around 4:30Pm and it had been towed. They had just installed the zone signs that morning after I parked and walked to work a few blocks away. They could have issued a fine but to even tow it? I wasn't the only one. They towed over 25-30 autos that morn. Now thats was chicken sh..t of them. :angry:

Blackmail

I was at the Hotel ZaZa a few weeks ago on a saturday night (10pm?) and I saw a few limos and cars waiting across the street. Thought nothing of it.

Out of a blue I see a city car pull up at the first available spot and proceeded to give every limo and towncar driver a ticket for parking in the Taxi zone. Considering the day and time, I was stunned. I guess they work 24hrs?

Be sure of one thing, if you get a ticket in a handicap parking spot, note whether or not there is a sign posted. Texas state law requires a regulation blue handicap sign (no homemade signs) be posted directly in front of the space no lower than 3 ft and no higher than 8 ft. If it's not posted fight the ticket. signs painted on the ground in the space DO NOT COUNT.

I was at the Hotel ZaZa a few weeks ago on a saturday night (10pm?) and I saw a few limos and cars waiting across the street. Thought nothing of it.

Out of a blue I see a city car pull up at the first available spot and proceeded to give every limo and towncar driver a ticket for parking in the Taxi zone. Considering the day and time, I was stunned. I guess they work 24hrs?

I was leaving Agora (leaving - didn't actually go in...bleh) several weeks ago and parked on the street behind Westheimer - a city vehicle pulled up to a car parked the wrong way on the street...and this was about 9pm-ish.

I was leaving Agora (leaving - didn't actually go in...bleh) several weeks ago and parked on the street behind Westheimer - a city vehicle pulled up to a car parked the wrong way on the street...and this was about 9pm-ish.

were you on hawthorne? the residents are irritated about the parking situation.

• 3 weeks later...
Be sure of one thing, if you get a ticket in a handicap parking spot, note whether or not there is a sign posted. Texas state law requires a regulation blue handicap sign (no homemade signs) be posted directly in front of the space no lower than 3 ft and no higher than 8 ft. If it's not posted fight the ticket. signs painted on the ground in the space DO NOT COUNT.

This is good to know because I got a ticket for parking downtown in a handicap spot last week. There were three head in parking spots and I parked in the far right spot. The center spot has a handicap sign up, but the place where I parked was just striped. I just didn't see the stripes because it was striped with dull gray brick and it was around 9:00pm.

I took a picture and it clearly shows the sign is in the middle parking spot. I guess it's time to fight. However the ticket does say parked in a stiped area.

The red striped areas are obvious becuase it's usually by a fire hydrant. Plus I don't think it is legal to park that close to a cross street because it doen't make for safe turns.

nah no hydrants in sight. it's the corner thing but towing AND a ticket bites.

Archived