nope..it's cute though :(

It doesn't bother me when people razz the 60's ranch or modern. Its tract trash anyway.

( I can say this because with the exception of a few years we have always lived in 60's construction) But when they go after these old 20's and 30's charmers I feel a twinge. Some of the ones they have taken down lately most people would only dream of owning. They were actually built with craftmanship and style.

My big fantasy is to find a creative and skilled craftman and have him do all the wood work in the house to make it sing.

Edited by KatieDidIt

Wow. I cannot believe that South Blvder is coming down.

I toured that house with my mother and sister. It was a solid house. Needed some minor updates but pretty unbelievable that someone would rip it down. My only guess is that it has to be a builder/developer since that is in the section where the lots are fairly small by Southampton standards. I imagine we're about to see another 4,500 to 5,500 square foot home plopped down on a 7200 square foot lot.

If you haven't toured North, South, Milford, Bartlett, Banks, etc... in awhile, you're gonna be surprised at the builder/spec crap that has been put up in the last 5 years. The McMansions are slowly taking over and many are ruining the live oak streetscape. A real shame.

how about 4500 sqft on a 6000 sqft lot?

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y

I despise this one the most. Don't know what was there before it, but it just kills me that they'd plop down something like this in that neighborhood. No other house on that block has the garage/front yard combo. While I'm a very responsible pet owner, I kinda hope my dog poops in that yard sometimes (while it's still for sale). I'm just a renter, btw.

how about 4500 sqft on a 6000 sqft lot?

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y

I despise this one the most. Don't know what was there before it, but it just kills me that they'd plop down something like this in that neighborhood. No other house on that block has the garage/front yard combo. While I'm a very responsible pet owner, I kinda hope my dog poops in that yard sometimes (while it's still for sale). I'm just a renter, btw.

Why are they bringing suburban architecture to a place like the museum district?. Garage in the front stuff KILLS me.

Edited by KatieDidIt

This really angers me. This area of Houston has great architectural fabric, and the spec houses that are going in are pure garbage. They have expensive finishes to excite their nouveau-riche occupants, but they are very poorly designed. These spec houses will not age well, especially the stucco ones. I wonder if they'll still be around in 30 years when the stucco is falling off due to water intrusion, and the sun has wreaked havok on the vinyl windows?

Wow, the Banks before/after photos make me want to cry.

At the rate Houston is going, even neighborhoods like Southampton, BLVD Oaks, River Oaks, and Southgate will soon disappear as we know them. It is happening at an alarming rate.

I guess the old adage is true; money can't buy taste.

I'd choose the old house over the new "European" inspired masterpiece any day of the week. I am SICK.

Wow, the Banks before/after photos make me want to cry.

At the rate Houston is going, even neighborhoods like Southampton, BLVD Oaks, River Oaks, and Southgate will soon disappear as we know them. It is happening at an alarming rate.

I guess the old adage is true; money can't buy taste.

I'd choose the old house over the new "European" inspired masterpiece any day of the week. I am SICK.

You said it. Houston's destined to become a place with a just handful of historic homes scattered about like lost puppies. It's especially a shame to lose those upscale version 1930s cottage style homes since that's such a unique and brief architectural style, and the brick work screams artistic, but my pain center hardly registers any stimulation anymore.

The "Northern Italian" style really just looks like a random assemblage of Home Depot materials, probably computer generated. The builders must be laughing all the way to the bank.

center hardly registers any stimulation anymore.

The "Northern Italian" style really just looks like a random assemblage of Home Depot materials, probably computer generated. The builders must be laughing all the way to the bank.

I agree danax. Its very a cheesie style. And the furnishings they put in the "showcase" homes are the worst fake, repro garbage. The velvet drapes and gold, resin candle sticks make us giggle.

I don't like the type of house you can label being from a certain decade of production building. Driving through most of the suburbs you can literally say "Built in the 80's, oh that was the 90's Islamic Sugarbrick style, oh and there is the Millennia Tuscan style."

When a house is built well the most you can say is "oh that's Georgian or Ranch or Colonel or Tutor or Modern." You might have a idea when it was built just by its location, but there is nothing that seems to decade brand it.

Edited by KatieDidIt

I've posted this in another thread, but I'll tell the story again.

My mom moved into a 1930s River Oaks home about 4 years ago. After she moved in, a spec home went up across the street. It had a circular driveway upfront and an obvious garage and was taller than anything else on the block. It sold right away. Then the house right next door came down. A faux French Chateaux replaced it. It too ripped up the front yard to offer plenty of off-street parking and was waaaayyyy out of scale. The 2 live oaks in the front yard were lost too. Before that house was finished, the house in her backyard on Reba came down. A spec builder threw up a 3 story Spanish style (it is 2 stories at the street but towers to 3 levels at the back fence line where 3 trees were removed). The house next door sat on the market and went through a couple of price reductions. Someone eventually bought it though. However, the Spanish style (which truly is a better looking house than the Faux French) hasn't sold. It's been on the market for at least a year and has also undergone price reductions. I hope it never sells and that builder has to eat it!

I am starting to notice that many of these Fugly spec homes in older areas aren't selling like hotcakes anymore. I am sure it's more a reflection of the economy or lending practices but I also hope it's a sign of changing tastes and backlash.

I just think its becoming to darn expensive to buy the new construction, even for the moderately wealthy. "Dream homes" start closer to 2 million now and are on smaller lots.

We bought a Georgian style built in the 60's in West Memorial, relandscaped and cleaned up its curb appeal and did a lot of underwear work on the inside. The people behind us razzed their English style and are building a hideous west Texas limestone and siding/David Weekly looking thing. The house needed updating, but it was a good sound house that most people would have been happy to live in. From a traditionalist standpoint, guess which one look's better and fits in the neighborhood. ;)

It doesn't bother me when people razz the 60's ranch or modern. Its tract trash anyway.

Ouch! Me and lots of other folks on the Mod forum love 60's ranches and moderns. In many areas, they too are going the way of the dodo. I grew up in a MCM that my father designed himself. It's still standing but has been remuddled so much you can barely recognize its bones anymore. Tearing down ANY perfectly good home just to put up a bigger, uglier home saddens me.

WTF is an Islamic Sugarbrick? Never heard of it and neither had Google.

Oh its just a nickname we personally call the 90's style. Bright red brick house, with a two story front door area that has an Islamic shaped arch, and a tiny little hanging lantern.

Ouch! Me and lots of other folks on the Mod forum love 60's ranches and moderns. In many areas, they too are going the way of the dodo. I grew up in a MCM that my father designed himself. It's still standing but has been remuddled so much you can barely recognize its bones anymore. Tearing down ANY perfectly good home just to put up a bigger, uglier home saddens me.

Yes, but many suffer common Houston stick built problems, and the fact people let the landscaping go over the foundation line. Mold and settling (sometimes a total failure) in many of them. Not a ton of craftmanship in comparison to earlier homes.

Edited by KatieDidIt

• The title was changed to Another Demo On South Blvd.
  • The title was changed to Home At 2105 South Blvd.