Diy Pex Pipe Re-plumbing On A Bungalow

I'm about to completely replumb my 1910 bungalow with PEX pipe. I'll also be adding a new tankless water heater at the same time. I currently have 4 generations of plumbing under the house and plan to rip it all out and make a clean install.

I've exhaustively researched the job on the net and feel fairly comfortable DIY-ing it, especially since my crawlspace is almost 4' high. A couple questions however:

1. Does anyone know where I can get the CoH code requirements for using PEX pipe? I don't plan on pulling a permit but would like to adhere to the Houston code regardless.

2. Has anyone else done a PEX conversion and have any other advice to add?

1. Does anyone know where I can get the CoH code requirements for using PEX pipe? I don't plan on pulling a permit but would like to adhere to the Houston code regardless.
i believe they defer to the international building code standards now. i'm sure a builder will step in shortly.

why'd you decide to get a tankless? Saving space? I researched them, and while they seem sexy, I just couldn't justify the HUGE extra cost over a convential unit versus the savings.

Well, I admit that there is a sexiness factor involved. However, we're only talking about a 1 bath bungalow, so the extra cost isn't really that much over a conventional water heater. The main reason though is space - there is a 2 x 1 chimney inside the wall in my bathroom. (It's already been knocked off under the roof). I'm going to take the chimney out, frame out a nice wall cabinet, and stick the tankless hot water heater (plus the pex manifold) in that space. The chimney is not otherwise tied to the house in any way, and currently the water heater for the house is in the garage.

Is it gas? If so, the double-walled stainless flue will make you think twice about how inexpensive it is.

Last year, I really wanted to go tankless. I was even willing to blow the $700 on a new tankless, even though my current heater is relatively new. Then my stinkin' plumber had to get involved. He pointed out the aforementioned double-walled flue ($200). He pointed out that my gas line was probably too small, and would need to be replaced. Most regular heaters are in the 40,000 Btu range. Tankless heaters can run up to 160,000 Btu. Using 4 times the gas made me wonder how much money I would be saving. Then he asked how much my gas bill is in the summer, when no furnace is running. I told him $16. He asked how much I thought I would save on that $16 with my new $2,000 tankless water heater. I did not know, but even if it cut my bill 50%, it would take 21 years just to recoup my money.

I decided a nice water heater blanket would do nicely.

Well, I admit that there is a sexiness factor involved. However, we're only talking about a 1 bath bungalow, so the extra cost isn't really that much over a conventional water heater. The main reason though is space - there is a 2 x 1 chimney inside the wall in my bathroom. (It's already been knocked off under the roof). I'm going to take the chimney out, frame out a nice wall cabinet, and stick the tankless hot water heater (plus the pex manifold) in that space. The chimney is not otherwise tied to the house in any way, and currently the water heater for the house is in the garage.

What models are you looking at? The Noritz ones I was looking at were DOUBLE the price of a tank heater, and that didn't include the billion dollar stainless vent plumbing.

"Oh, the shark, babe, has such teeth, dear

And it shows them pearly white"

Oh, sorry. Got carried away there.

What type fittings are you going to use? When I first saw PEX on This Old House, the tools and fittings were very expensive, but worth it because of ease of labor.

Home Depot carries SkarkBite fittings from CashAcme also known as Cash Valve. I was told they were solid performing. All you do is slip the tube into the fitting, and there

"Oh, the shark, babe, has such teeth, dear

And it shows them pearly white"

Oh, sorry. Got carried away there.

What type fittings are you going to use? When I first saw PEX on This Old House, the tools and fittings were very expensive, but worth it because of ease of labor.

Home Depot carries SkarkBite fittings from CashAcme also known as Cash Valve. I was told they were solid performing. All you do is slip the tube into the fitting, and there's no way you're gonna pull that sucker out. There is a small tool that you slide in the fitting, and the tube slips right out.

It used to be the cost of PEX was in the fittings, but it's almost a non-factor, mainly since you use so few of them. Also, are you going to do branching with smaller tubing, or many runs from a single manifold?

I'm excited for you. I will be doing a bathroom soon, and I will re-plumb with PEX. I think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread!

Whats the general consensus with updating portions of a system with PEX but not all of it? i.e a kitchen or bath remodel but not the entire system?

We're starting to think about replumbing. 55 year old galvanized is a little worrisome. We looked at a tankless heater, as our current tank is in a closet in the middle of the kitchen, and if the pop off valve blows, we'll ahve water all over the house - no drain to outside.

The PEX flexible is by far the best bet when doing any plumbing. If you're going to replumb, you might as well do it right with a distributed water system and PEX. I use MANAblock in my homes. Tankless is also the way to go for water heater. The initial cost is marginally higher than a tank, but the tank wastes so much energy and the water just sits there. Getting a smaller tankless system is your best bet. I don't know what LARGE difference in prices some of you are referring to. They are cheaper to run than tank heaters and they don't cost that much more than a tank heater.

I looked at this sharkbite stuff and its the same principal as air brakes on big trucks. Fittings are a one time use, looks like a super easy way to plumb a house though. I am going to invest in that crimper and redo my house.

Archived