Little Woodrow's Bar At 2301 West Alabama St.

PuroAztlan

Are you getting Rudz and Kipling mixed up (understandable) ? Rudyards has been in the same spot since the early 80s on Waugh & Welch..

And before that (late 70s) it was on Kipling, hence the name. That burned up and they moved several times. I wanted them to change it to "Evelyn's" when they moved to Waugh, but no such luck.

The Velvet Elvis was definitiely across the Alabama strip. Just can't remember the name of the street....

When?

I used to go to the Velvit Elvis across from the BookStop. I loved that place. Had a nice little front patio area too.

Also, didn't the Velvit Elvis re-open sometime later on Richmond near Greenway Plaza? I think I recall it re-opening and me getting all exicted only to realize that the "new" one wasn't the same type of place. The "new" one was trendy and drew in UT fratboy types (the same kinds that ended up ruining the Gallant Knight)

There's some history re the past locations of Rudyard's and Velvet Elvis/Melvin on this thread. From one of isuredid's posts on that thread:

Rudyard's British Pub opened at 2108 Kipling in 1979. During that period a lot of people from England were moving to Houston for work. The economy in Britain was very bad at the time. I believe it stayed at that location until around 1982 when it moved, temporarily, over to West Alabama while it searched for a new home. I want to say it was where T.K. Bittermans is now. I believe it was 1983 when they finally relocated to the current building on Waugh, which had previously been The High Noon Saloon - a gay bar.

The 2108 Kipling location was also where Velvet Elvis was located in the early 90's.

I used to go to the Velvit Elvis across from the BookStop. I loved that place. Had a nice little front patio area too.

Also, didn't the Velvit Elvis re-open sometime later on Richmond near Greenway Plaza? I think I recall it re-opening and me getting all exicted only to realize that the "new" one wasn't the same type of place. The "new" one was trendy and drew in UT fratboy types (the same kinds that ended up ruining the Gallant Knight)

The original spot was fantastic! I think it was elevated above ground so if you sat at a table you had a higher level view of the action going on at the Alabama Theater. Once it moved to trendy Richmond it became too mainstream and THEN the lawsuits started over the name. If memory serves well, people that were in charge of the real Elvis Presly Estate heard there was this club in Houston using Elvis' name and image to make $$$. Well that all ended after several pleasant threats to sue plus the bad publicity. The most outrageous ended was if you pass by the Velvet now the Elvis was chopped off! Like all they had to do to please these people was take out the Elvis part.

Don't step on my blue suede shoes!

The original spot was fantastic! I think it was elevated above ground so if you sat at a table you had a higher level view of the action going on at the Alabama Theater. Once it moved to trendy Richmond it became too mainstream and THEN the lawsuits started over the name. If memory serves well, people that were in charge of the real Elvis Presly Estate heard there was this club in Houston using Elvis' name and image to make $$. Well that all ended after several pleasant threats to sue plus the bad publicity. The most outrageous ended was if you pass by the Velvet now the Elvis was chopped off! Like all they had to do to please these people was take out the Elvis part.

Don't step on my blue suede shoes!

It's always strange to me to see such a street-oriented land use sitting in the middle of the rows of office buildings, car parks, and strip centers that line that part of Richmond. It's uniquely Houston!

• 1 month later...
At least we still have little woody's on Holcombe/Bellaire

......and there is still a Little Woodrow's on Morningside(old Senor Rita's), had a good time there and the bar next to Bronx Bar last Thursday. Anybody know the name of the bar to the left of Bronx Bar. Thanks in advance.

......and there is still a Little Woodrow's on Morningside(old Senor Rita's), had a good time there and the bar next to Bronx Bar last Thursday. Anybody know the name of the bar to the left of Bronx Bar. Thanks in advance.

In the same center? You must be thinking of Brian O'Neils, that Irish pub...the Ginger Man to the right of Bronx Bar is also a pretty good place

There's a little Woodrows next door to the Gingerman (just south I think). That one has always felt different to me though, haven't liked it as much as the one they just razed or even mid town.

The Little Woodrows in Rice Village was the very first place I was taken when I came to visit Houston as a prospective Rice student, so for me it's more special than the others. I haven't even been to any of the other locations.

Consolidated Arts Warehouse on Montrose is different from Commerce Street. If you go down Montrose and would go under the SW freeway, it was immediately after the freeway going south toward the MFAH.

Another important Punk club in Houston's history was not too far away at Main and the SW freeway, where a Wendy's now stands. It was called The Rock Island.

I don't recall seeing the BH Surfers at either of these locations, but that certainly doesn't mean they didn't play there. I am sure they did. One of my more favorite Surfers shows was at the Meceba Theater at Richmond and Main. 85 or so....

• The title was changed to Little Woodrow's Bar At 2301 West Alabama St.

Archived