Typing Conventions

houstonmacbro

I learned (not sure where because I never took formal typing lessons) that you should use two (2) spaces after a period before typing the next sentence. However, since I've been back in school, I am taught that the double-space after periods is unnecessary.

I also use commas before 'and' in a series of items, but have often been told that is not correct, although some people say it is correct. Example: "John, Sally, and Mae" as opposed to "John, Sally and Mae".

I learned (not sure where because I never took formal typing lessons) that you should use two (2) spaces after a period before typing the next sentence. However, since I've been back in school, I am taught that the double-space after periods is unnecessary.

I also use commas before 'and' in a series of items, but have often been told that is not correct, although some people say it is correct. Example: "John, Sally, and Mae" as opposed to "John, Sally and Mae".

I do two spaces after a period or colon, and I put a comma before and. I think they both improve readability.

I use 2 spaces at the end of sentences, as well as after a semi-colon. I also use commas before the 'and'. I put 2 spaces to separate the ZIP Code from the rest of an address, as well.

According to this link, and a few others, the 2 space rule was used in typewriters because it was hard to read the period.

http://www.getitwriteonline.com/archive/011803.htm

Since word processors have made things much easier to read, the 2 space rule is not really necessary. I still do it, but I also notice that sometimes the word processor adjusts it to one space. It seems the correct answer is 'whatever you feel like doing'.

Edited by RedScare

I only use one space, for the reason that Red said above. With word processing, it's not necessary. Look at any newspaper or book. It's not done anymore.

I do a lot of writing and editing for my job, and I'm constantly taking out the extra spaces my co-workers put in.

Edit: I know, I need to edit my own posts. I'm a lot more careful at work!

Edited by nativehou

I only use one space, for the reason that Red said above. With word processing, it's not necessary. Look at any newspaper or book. It's not done anymore.

I do a lot of writing and editing for my job, and I'm constantly taking out the extra spaces my co-workers put in.

Edit: I know, I need to edit my own posts. I'm a lot more careful at work!

The 2 space deal has been a hard habit for me to break. Because I write a lot of (school) papers it has become easier, but sometimes I am still tempted to hit that spacebar twice.

If you want to read an informative and witty book about comma use, see Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss who makes a compelling case for why the correct use of commas matters.

An excerpt from her book that explains how and why using commas correctly matters follows below:

A panda walks into a caf

When I was in elementary school in the late 60's, we were taught not to put a comma before the "and" in a string of items - like "eggs, bacon and toast". My own daughter, however, was taught differently. Either is acceptable, but I still punctuate the way that I was taught. That includes 2 spaces after the end of a sentence.

When I was in elementary school in the late 60's, we were taught not to put a comma before the "and" in a string of items - like "eggs, bacon and toast". My own daughter, however, was taught differently. Either is acceptable, but I still punctuate the way that I was taught. That includes 2 spaces after the end of a sentence.

What your were taught is know as the "Oxford Comma".

The Oxford Comma is prefered in technical and scientific journals when you want to make sure people understand you are talking about three seperate things.

What your were taught is know as the "Oxford Comma".

The Oxford Comma is prefered in technical and scientific journals when you want to make sure people understand you are talking about three seperate things.

In addition to being known as the Oxford comma (the house style of Oxford University Press), it also known as the Harvard comma (the house style of Harvard University Press). It is also referred to as the serial comma because it is used to separate items in a series-- 3 or more items of the same type (single words or groups of words, phrases/clauses) connected by and, or, or nor before the last item.