Woodleigh

I thought this area was Eastwood until someone told me otherwise. The streets look the same and the houses look the same. Can anyone tell me any other information about this neighborhood? Is the area relatively safe?

Ok if you just drive to work and back. You can find better bargains closer to 45/Wayside area. Trust me on that one, and much safer. That area (Woodleigh) is too close to trouble, unless you go for that sort of thing.

Closer to 45 the better. :D

Ok if you just drive to work and back. You can find better bargains closer to 45/Wayside area. Trust me on that one, and much safer. That area (Woodleigh) is too close to trouble, unless you go for that sort of thing.

I would agree w/Vert on the portion between Cullen and Milby - it's still pretty dense w/crummy rentals + assorted riff-raff. However, the area close to Lantrip Elementary isn't bad. We've walked a few listings over there + it's OK. All in all, I would also agree that there are better deals in the East End.

I may be mistaken, but I think the boundaries are Milby to the W, Polk to the S, Sidney to the E, and McKinney to the N.

This sounds like its near the washateria on Polk/Sidney. Area is not so bad. They just don't make houses like this any more. One of the streets in that area has huge oak trees that line both sides all the way up and down. This seems to imply that at one time years ago, that street must have been a real show stopper.

Then there is that beautiful little area directly behind the Macy's warehouse. I would look there too. Funny how we took all of these homes for granted growing up.

Thanks for the replys. I was looking at a house around Cullen and Dallas St (more like Sydney & Dallas). This particular house was on a good block (Dallas). All of the houses seemed to be in good shape, but there were a lot of cars parked on the street. I guess that's better than cars parked on lawns.

Thanks for the replys. I was looking at a house around Cullen and Dallas St (more like Sydney & Dallas). This particular house was on a good block (Dallas). All of the houses seemed to be in good shape, but there were a lot of cars parked on the street. I guess that's better than cars parked on lawns.

Our street is like that as well--freakin' cars everywhere. Part of the reason is that many of the homes have garage apartments. That, and one-car wide driveways combined with a dislike of tandem parking, LOL.

I think that Woodleigh is generally OK as long as you are close to Sidney.

Actually now would be a damned good time to buy in this area. Whatever gets built in that now empty lot on Cullen at RR tracks/Leeland is sure to lure more business/congestion in the area. IF it is a huge housing developement you might wish you had bought before prices go way up. This is that vast cleared lot directly behind the old Rainbow factory across from Mandola's Deli Shop. I may have been the one wishing a 10-15 story residential would be perfect there. For those working downtown it would be ideal! :)

• 2 weeks later...
I thought this area was Eastwood until someone told me otherwise. The streets look the same and the houses look the same. Can anyone tell me any other information about this neighborhood? Is the area relatively safe?

Is Woodleigh near Rockleigh, a street that I lived up the road from?

I have the abstract filed June 10, 1907 for what looks like Woodleigh Survey or Addition [which was quite large area]. I'm not tech savvy, but can email as attachment if anyone is interested.

It was prepared Nov 25, 1927 by Stewart Title & goes back to 1827 when belonged to Mexico.

Translated copy of original title recorded in deed Records are: vol 200 p 502. 329, 264. Translated copy for Samuel M. Williams for lands/ etc petitioned. It is very interesting 130 pages [if one can tolerate the musty smell:)]. It gives history from 1827 when land belonged to Mexico. I have copied 2 pages [1 of a plat map & p 129 which is written survey of boundaries]. Don't know what I'll do with them as I'm trying to downsize to live the life of "less is more":). May donate to Texas Room library someday.

I've lived in Woodleigh with my wife and stepson for a couple of years. We've had no problems with safety or theft. It's a pretty good area. I live near Lantrip Elementary. We have some great neighbors (and one or two that aren't quite as great). We are probably going to add on to our house and stay for awhile. The neighborhood has improved a lot even the last couple of years.

I am not a native Houstonian, but I really enjoy living in the loop and we really like Woodleigh (though I always refer to it as Eastwood).

Archived