Working The Graveyard Shift

RedScare

Perhaps this is a strange topic, but I have come across a job opportunity that includes working the graveyard shift. Hours are 10 pm to 6 am, Sunday night to Friday morning. Good benefits (something I haven't had in over 11 years). However, I haven't worked nights in a long time, and never till 6 in the morning. I am unmarried, so the only issue is whether I am willing to do it, not whether significant others are bothered.

So, my question to the board is, do any of you work night shifts? Is it permanent or temporary? What are the pluses and minuses? Personally, The drawbacks are obvious, such as working when I would normally be sleeping. But, being off when everyone else is working would be a plus. Having all day to do things sounds great. And, my weekend begins Friday at 6 am. Sunday night being the lamest night of the week, I wouldn't mind working. I'm just wondering about experiences others have had with it.

it can be painful. i have to do it occasionally for weeks at a time. i just dont sleep well when it is light outside so i have to darken the room somehow. i usually end up getting 4 or 5 hrs sleep when i get home, go do errands and then sleep again before i get in. i know the doctors prescribe ambion if we need it but i never take it.

you may have to put your party yrs behind you since most happen right as you will be going in to work.

you may be one who can sleep anywhere so the transition may be easy!

also depending on the location, your drive home might be in rush hr. frustrating when you're tired.

good luck!

I don't do sleeping drugs, so no Ambien for me! The position would be away from downtown, so I would be driving back into town at 6. I need to check on what the rush looks like at that time. The split sleep thing sounds like what I'd probably do. Catch 5 hours when I get home, and another nap before I go in...at least that's what I'm thinking right now. Who knows what I'd do once it starts.

Oh, and my big party years are pretty much behind me already. Funny how that happens.

I think your main concern is how much of the HAIF peak time discussion you're going to miss.

...or that could be a good thing in your opinion.

No, but really. One thing my dad told me he liked about it was that he didn't have to wake up to an alarm clock. It sounds simple, but sleeping and knowing you don't have to wake up a certain time could be real nice.

I did it for a year and a half back in 2005-06 and was one of the reasons why I left the company and found a better opportunity. While the idea having the days available while everyone else is working sounds cool, you have to keep in mind that you will be sleeping during that time. My shift was 7p to 7a and I went to sleep when I got home and woke up at 3-4p. I don't know how busy you're nite job will be but mine was not busy at all, thus, If I didn't get a good 'days' sleep I would have found it very tempting to sleep on the job.

One of the cool things was that since there was no one around, I got alot of websurfing done. It was there that I discovered this forum in Sept '05 and spent many a night catching up on all the past postings! We also had flat panel screens so I was able to catch up on alot of DVD watching :)

I think for a short period of time, the night shift is cool but it gets old real quick. Doing the time re-adjustment during the weekends is hell!

Just my two-cents.

One thing my dad told me he liked about it was that he didn't have to wake up to an alarm clock. It sounds simple, but sleeping and knowing you don't have to wake up a certain time could be real nice.

for me, i require an alarm clock to go in cause sometimes not having enough sleep catches up to you. one time i was working this shift, i went to bed at 630am and someone came in at 830pm just to make sure i was still alive. i slept 14 hrs which i NEVER do.

Doing the time re-adjustment during the weekends is hell!

there is no time readjustment on weekends if your'e serious about the shift. you should stay up late even on weekends to make it work properly.

Interesting concept of staying up on weekends, too. I guess I would be a Weekend Zombie. :o

The job is pretty simple (for me, because of my experience). They have internet and cable TV for downtime. After about 3:30, very little happens, and they don't care if you sleep the last 2-3 hours, as long as you are in the office and available. I kind of expect that I will be an internet and ESPN news freak, since there would be so much downtime.

The position is not a permanent assignment. After 1-2 years, I would move to a regular daytime position. I could probably even wait 6 months to a year for a regular spot to open up. However, since I am ready for a change of pace (and the aforementioned bennies), it strangely appeals to me. Must be the counterculture side of me showing through.

Interesting concept of staying up on weekends, too. I guess I would be a Weekend Zombie. :o

kinda but you can close down all the bars you've been wantin to try on friday and sat. you'll like it cause you'll go to bed while it is still dark and catch up on some sleep, say 4am after you wind down from the bars or whereever

I did overnights about 2 weeks of every month back when I used to spend a lot of time at the financial printers.

It wore on me after a while, because I could never stay consistent on the weekends--I didn't want to miss out on regular life and the flip flopping does take a toll if you can't fall asleep easily. But mainly I just got lonely. It felt like I wasn't part of the rest of the world. I was in my mid 20s, though. Maybe being older, a person wouldn't feel it as much, dunno. Depends on how much human contact you like or need on a day to day basis, I guess.

If you have pets they will have to make the adjustment as well. I had a dog that did not like change, and there was some serious acting out.

But hell, a year goes by fast, especially if there's a payoff.

But hell, a year goes by fast, especially if there's a payoff.

There is a big payoff. In my previous stint with the guvmint, I did not stay long enough to become fully vested for retirement. If I return and stay long enough to vest, the retirement checks could start 9 years sooner than they will at semi-vesting. The actual pay is not spectacular, but 9 extra years of retirement checks is. All in all, I think it is well worth a year or two of inconvenience.

Thanks for the opinions and tips everyone. :)

Red, I'm going to throw a wild guess out there, but would you be one of the lawyers that issues opinions to beat cops that find themselves in delicate situations that they aren't authorized to handle? Am I on the right track?

Red would never advise anyone to beat a cop. At least not so it leaves a mark.

Red, I'm going to throw a wild guess out there, but would you be one of the lawyers that issues opinions to beat cops that find themselves in delicate situations that they aren't authorized to handle? Am I on the right track?

That's funny you mention that. My dad was just telling me about that. He was just explaining how cops don't know all the laws so they need to call a lawyer to find out what they can charge them w/. Maybe everyone already knew that. I didn't.

Niche, I am not quite sure what opinions you are talking about. A little more info, maybe?

Clearly, the position I have been offered is not what Niche asked, since I do not know what that is. It is a bit more along the lines of what lockmat is suggesting. I am not quite ready to divulge where it is, but it involves taking calls from police officers who have detained persons suspected of committing crimes, and deciding whether the person should be arrested, or if more investigation is needed, or if in fact no crime has been committed at all. Many DA's office are going to a system of 24 hour access such as this. It is great for the citizens, as a trained lawyer is reviewing the case before they are even taken to jail. It is also great for the jail, as only legitimate suspects are held. And, of course, it is good for the DA's office, as many of the non-prosecutable cases are weeded out before being filed at all.

Cops are expected to do a lot of things, but at the end of the day, they are still not lawyers. Having a lawyer on call to discuss a case prior to arrest helps them out a lot. It is pretty much a win-win for everyone involved in the system...except perhaps for the lawyer working graveyard. ;)

EDIT: OK, I just realized that you meant "beat cop", as in "patrol officer". Sorry 'bout that. Similar, but as I wrote above, it is for every case, not just delicate ones.

EDIT 2: Oh, and I never advise beating a cop....unless you enjoy getting dogpiled like there's no tomorrow. :)

Niche, I am not quite sure what opinions you are talking about. A little more info, maybe?

Clearly, the position I have been offered is not what Niche asked, since I do not know what that is. It is a bit more along the lines of what lockmat is suggesting. I am not quite ready to divulge where it is, but it involves taking calls from police officers who have detained persons suspected of committing crimes, and deciding whether the person should be arrested, or if more investigation is needed, or if in fact no crime has been committed at all. Many DA's office are going to a system of 24 hour access such as this. It is great for the citizens, as a trained lawyer is reviewing the case before they are even taken to jail. It is also great for the jail, as only legitimate suspects are held. And, of course, it is good for the DA's office, as many of the non-prosecutable cases are weeded out before being filed at all.

Cops are expected to do a lot of things, but at the end of the day, they are still not lawyers. Having a lawyer on call to discuss a case prior to arrest helps them out a lot. It is pretty much a win-win for everyone involved in the system...except perhaps for the lawyer working graveyard. ;)

EDIT: OK, I just realized that you meant "beat cop", as in "patrol officer". Sorry 'bout that. Similar, but as I wrote above, it is for every case, not just delicate ones.

EDIT 2: Oh, and I never advise beating a cop....unless you enjoy getting dogpiled like there's no tomorrow. :)

Oh yeah, that's exactly what I was talking about. Kind of interesting in my opinion. You don't want cops arresting people for something that's not against the law.

Oh yeah, that's exactly what I was talking about. Kind of interesting in my opinion. You don't want cops arresting people for something that's not against the law.

Back in the old days, before cops had dashboard computers and cell phones, they were on their own. The veterans usually did a good job of arresting for real crimes, but occasionally the rookies jumped the gun. This is much more efficient.

Even better, back in the old days (late 80s), the cops in my county would save time by going to a 7-11 to call in their reports. The police department had several typists that would type the report while the cop dictated from the 7-11. Of course, everyone thought the cops were just hanging out at 7-11 to drink free coffee, but in fact, they were working. That sounds so pre-historic today.

Interesting.

If a neanderthol-like white supremecist heroin addict that has ripped me off were to trespass on a property that I own and lease but do not reside in, on which I have 'NO TRESPASSING' signs posted, and I was on-site and armed, in which of the following circumstances would I be prosecuted:

• If I shot him on sight.
  • If I told him to remove himself from the premeses, he did not comply, and then I shot him.
  • If he were to steal something, take off running, and I shot him.
  • If he were to have entered the home without permission, so I shot him.
  • If he were to approach me after I told him to stay back, so I shot him.
  • If he were to approach the tenant after I told him to stay back, so I shot him.
  • If he were to approach the tenant after they told him to stay back, so I shot him.
  • All of the above.
  • None of the above.

Can you go through it for day vs. night? Also for witness vs. no witness?

Back in the old days, before cops had dashboard computers and cell phones, they were on their own. The veterans usually did a good job of arresting for real crimes, but occasionally the rookies jumped the gun. This is much more efficient.

Even better, back in the old days (late 80s), the cops in my county would save time by going to a 7-11 to call in their reports. The police department had several typists that would type the report while the cop dictated from the 7-11. Of course, everyone thought the cops were just hanging out at 7-11 to drink free coffee, but in fact, they were working. That sounds so pre-historic today.

Gosh, that's true, huh? I didn't even think about pre-cell days. What about using the CB?

Interesting.

If a neanderthol-like white supremecist heroin addict that has ripped me off were to trespass on a property that I own and lease but do not reside in, on which I have 'NO TRESPASSING' signs posted, and I was on-site and armed, in which of the following circumstances would I be prosecuted:

• If I shot him on sight.
  • If I told him to remove himself from the premeses, he did not comply, and then I shot him.
  • If he were to steal something, take off running, and I shot him.
  • If he were to have entered the home without permission, so I shot him.
  • If he were to approach me after I told him to stay back, so I shot him.
  • If he were to approach the tenant after I told him to stay back, so I shot him.
  • If he were to approach the tenant after they told him to stay back, so I shot him.
  • All of the above.
  • None of the above.

Can you go through it for day vs. night? Also for witness vs. no witness?

1 and 2 are pretty dicey maneuvers, day or night. However, if the facts indicate you feared for your or another's safety, you might be OK. 3 is OK at night, daytime, maybe not. See Joe Horn case for guidance. 4 through 7, you will likely be considered to be practicing self-defense. It would be unusual for a home-owner to be found at fault in those situations.

IIRC, you stated in another thread that this person made a threat to burglarize your house. Those facts would be considered when looking at the case.

Gosh, that's true, huh? I didn't even think about pre-cell days. What about using the CB?

The police had radios, but if a cop was calling in a report, the frequency would be tied up until he stopped talking, so they have to keep it short. Dictating to a typist saved the cop from having to drive to the station, keeping him close to his beat. This was actually considered an advancement, since many PDs still had the officer go to the station to type up his report.

I hated working the night shift, my body never really got used to it, it wanted to be awake during the day time, so I was basically a zombie. And it never failed, around 4 am, I would hit that wall, and I would become so sleepy, it was a struggle to keep my eyes open. Plus, the rest of the world is operating while I'm trying to sleep, especially those people mowing their lawns, or people knocking at the door, phone ringing, whatever. Plus, it got lonely after awhile, everyone I socialized with was not on the night shift. Some people enjoy it though I guess, but it definately was not for me. I've also heard it can cause depression in people, or other side-effects.

Archived