Super Bowl XLII: New England Patriots Vs. New York Giants

Trae

From Glendale, Arizona.

NFL-SB_2339.png

I really wanted it to be Packers-Patriots, but this doesn't look to be a very bad Super Bowl. I have the Patriots winning in a possible blowout, so this Super Bowl will be like what the Giants faced way back in 2001 against the Ravens.

My prediction: Patriots 31 - Giants 17

Kinda hard to predict this game. Here is how i see it:

If the Giants can put heat on Brady all game, then i think they will win. I don't think the Giant's defense against the run will let them down. Their secondary is the concern, but again, if Brady gets too much pressure from Omenyuri and Strahan, it will change everything. Next will be the Giants running game. If they can run just decently against the Pats, it will give them a chance as they control the clock. I don't think Eli will have a problem completing short passes, but he will have problems throwing long. The last thing will be how Eli responds to the pressure of his first Super Bowl..

If Giants do all the things that i mention, they will win it 31-27. If not, they will lose 38-24.

I think this is going to be a great game...the Pats looked about as beatable as they ever have on Sunday, so they have a lot of work to do. The Giants are a bad matchup for them. San Diego had a lot of success in the secondary jamming the NE receivers at the line, which is the exact same way the G-men handled GB. The difference is, NY will do a better job of getting to Brady on the edges and with their wonderful blitz packages, which SD had a very tough time doing. I know the secondary is considered a weakness for the giants, but go back and watch the way they played against GB...On the offensive side for the Giants, as was already mentioned, they need to run the ball, control the clock, keep it to third and managable, and go deep off the play action. The Pats need to do basically the same thing, except replace going deep off play action with crossing patterns over the middle voided by the blitzing Giant linebackers. I will make my predictions at a later point when I am ready to put my money where my mouth is and...

Just saw the line coming in at NE -13.5....That is major underdog action...gotta take the G-Men

Also, houstonfella, NE won the regular season matchup 38-35 (not 13-6)....NY had a 12 point lead in the 3rd quarter.

Just saw the line coming in at NE -13.5....That is major underdog action...gotta take the G-Men

Also, houstonfella, NE won the regular season matchup 38-35 (not 13-6)....NY had a 12 point lead in the 3rd quarter.

Even closer. Don't know where I got the 13-6 thing ... but, NY Giants played NE real tough. Let's hope this will be a close and fun SB.

They way the Patriot's are playing it's hard seeing anyone beating them...but at some point they have to lose, right? I hope the Giants can pull it off. I know he's been playing great lately but Eli passing still makes me nervous.
s

I agree. Eli hasn't thrown an interception in the last 3 playoff games right? So is he due for some in the Super Bowl, especially with all the pressure. Interesting to see what happens. If it was Peyton at the helm for the Giants next week, i would confidently pick the Giants for the upset.. :P

• 2 weeks later...

I can't even begin to imagine the psychological damage of going 18-0, then leading the Super Bowl with two minutes to go, and then losing. Seriously, that's the kind of thing that can mess your mind for life.

That was one helluva game, our collective analysis posted previously was pretty spot on...Eli had a great game and I am really happy for him, been pulling for him since he was at Ole Miss. Even though Eli had a great game, and there really wasn't a standout, you have to think the MVP should have gone to the Giants D-Line, but I guess you have to pick an individual....maybe Spagnuola(SP???) for his amazing blitz packages.

I never thought I would say this, but Coughlin outcoached Bellicheck.

Commercials were terrible except for the Will Ferrell one...Bud Light, Suck One!!!!

I am SO glad that the Pasterisks lost this one. I would have cheered for the Cairo Cougars or the Tokyo Tater-tots against them. I cannot stand them, not even in the least bit. Their hubris is what took them down. They invited the Giants players to the planned postgame parties, they bought the rights to the expression "19-0", their two local papers had books ready to sell on the perfect season, and Richard Seymour (who btw has gotten the same playing style remarks from the Chargers AND Giants) was telling the Giants that it was time for them to go home.

The Pasterisks' "humble pie" junk was just that--junk. They weren't humble, they took their opponent lightly, and the rest is history. They went from being the darling of ESPN to possible the wrong end of the worse upset in Super Bowl history. Good.

Furthermore, it is getting worse from here. Matt Walsh (the former video guy in Hawaii) is going to blow the lid off their cheating, and the titles that they did win will all be questioned.

It's comical watching ESPN fall all over themselves off the coronation throne that they had already given New England (amazingly similar to the way they were building up USC before Vince Young came along).

So we have the "Madden Curse", the "SI Jinx", and the "ESPN-crowning-a-team-as-the-best-ever-so-that-their-quote-unquote-reporters-can-have-the-priviledge-of-making-their-careers-off-writing-books-and-Pulitzer-articles Curse".

the worse upset in Super Bowl history

While it was an upset, it wasn't even close to the greatest in history. You can't say that when half the pundits were picking the Giants to win and the teams played a closely-fought three-point contest one month earlier.

Contrast to the Jets beating Baltimore or the Pats beating the Rams when absolutely NO ONE gave them a shot to win.

Yes, the betting line was high, but, as has been explained numerous times, that is not a reflection of the oddsmakers thoughts on the outcome of the games, but to entice equal betting on both sides. There is always heavy betting on the Super Bowl favorite, making Super Bowl lines somewhat inflated.

That was one helluva game, our collective analysis posted previously was pretty spot on...Eli had a great game and I am really happy for him, been pulling for him since he was at Ole Miss. Even though Eli had a great game, and there really wasn't a standout, you have to think the MVP should have gone to the Giants D-Line, but I guess you have to pick an individual....maybe Spagnuola(SP???) for his amazing blitz packages.

I never thought I would say this, but Coughlin outcoached Bellicheck.

Commercials were terrible except for the Will Ferrell one...Bud Light, Suck One!!!!

Actually Superbowl XII had Co-MVP's, both defensive linemen. I have no problem with Eli being MVP, it would be a tough call to single out any one person on the Giants. The defense, the defense, the defense, Kawika Mitchell, Michael Strahan, Osi Umenyiora, Justin Tuck, and company, kept Brady on his back and rushing his rhythm. It was a collective effort, even the big rookie Jay Alford had a huge sack there at the end. However the game saving play had to be the Pass from Eli Manning while running for his life, throws a basic hail Mary to David Tyree and this kid goes up and makes that catch, clutching the ball against his head, back it a literal limbo move and hangs on to the ball. That was as great a catch as there ever was in the Super Bowl. Without that throw and catch the rest never happens, the Pats go 19-0 and Brady has four rings. So Eli Manning being MVP is not undeserving, however there were a field full of MVP's on the Giants, they did what no one said they could do. Congratulations to the entire Giants organization.

While it was an upset, it wasn't even close to the greatest in history. You can't say that when half the pundits were picking the Giants to win and the teams played a closely-fought three-point contest one month earlier.

Contrast to the Jets beating Baltimore or the Pats beating the Rams when absolutely NO ONE gave them a shot to win.

While I agree that Broadway Joe's Super Bowl was probably bigger, I completely dissagree that the Pats beating ST Louis was remotely as mind blowing as yesterdays game. I believe most would agree. This game was a HUGE upset regardless of what the oddsmakers said, and it will go down in history as second only to Super Bowl III.

While I agree that Broadway Joe's Super Bowl was probably bigger, I completely dissagree that the Pats beating ST Louis was remotely as mind blowing as yesterdays game. I believe most would agree. This game was a HUGE upset regardless of what the oddsmakers said, and it will go down in history as second only to Super Bowl III.

Well, if most would agree, then most are wrong.

When you are picked to win on the cover of Sports Illustrated, it's not that huge an upset. Again, absolutely NO ONE gave the Pats a chance to beat the Rams. NO ONE. Remember, the Rams were the baddest offense in the land, defending champions, while the Pats were a team with a rookie quarterback who were there thanks to an arcane rule (the tuck rule) that came into play. They were supposed to be the ultimate "happy to be there" team. I didn't see that in the Giants the last two weeks.

Yes, this season's Pats were one of the most dominant teams ever seen for the first four months of the season, but that dominance was greatly eroded over the fifth month of the season.

The Pats struggled to beat the Giants with a perfect regular season on the line. They looked decidedly normal in home wins over the Jags and Bolts. The Giants offense woke up in staying toe to toe with the Pats, then went 3-0 on the road in the NFC playoffs against the Bucs, Cowgirls and Pack. Can you sincerely say New England was a decidedly better team entering the Super Bowl? Not if you look at the recent evidence.

Well, if most would agree, then most are wrong.

When you are picked to win on the cover of Sports Illustrated, it's not that huge an upset. Again, absolutely NO ONE gave the Pats a chance to beat the Rams. NO ONE. Remember, the Rams were the baddest offense in the land, defending champions, while the Pats were a team with a rookie quarterback who were there thanks to an arcane rule (the tuck rule) that came into play. They were supposed to be the ultimate "happy to be there" team. I didn't see that in the Giants the last two weeks.

Yes, this season's Pats were one of the most dominant teams ever seen for the first four months of the season, but that dominance was greatly eroded over the fifth month of the season.

The Pats struggled to beat the Giants with a perfect regular season on the line. They looked decidedly normal in home wins over the Jags and Bolts. The Giants offense woke up in staying toe to toe with the Pats, then went 3-0 on the road in the NFC playoffs against the Bucs, Cowgirls and Pack. Can you sincerely say New England was a decidedly better team entering the Super Bowl? Not if you look at the recent evidence.

"Well, if most would agree, then most are wrong". That's a pretty strong statement...

I would agree that the Pats beating St Louis was pretty big but the after game hype was not nearly what it has been over the last 15 hours. Remember that no team has ever been so dominant ina football year as have the Pats (obviously excluding the 72 Dolphins). we're talking about a team that has 3 rings over the last 5 years, broke almost every offensive record in the book this year, and of course went undefeated through 18 games. To say that most are wrong in their analogy of this being close to the biggest upset in Super Bown history, is again a pretty strong statement.

If the Rams defeat was as big as you claim, why hasnt it recieved large acclaim over the years?

Edit: Yes the Pats looked beatable toward the end of the season, but I think it has little to do with how big this win was. This was the first 18 game winner ever.

From Glendale, Arizona.

NFL-SB_2339.png

I really wanted it to be Packers-Patriots, but this doesn't look to be a very bad Super Bowl. I have the Patriots winning in a possible blowout, so this Super Bowl will be like what the Giants faced way back in 2001 against the Ravens.

My prediction: Patriots 31 - Giants 17

What do you think of your predictions now?

"Well, if most would agree, then most are wrong". That's a pretty strong statement...

As is the statement "most would agree" considering that this is all subjective opinion. That's why I put it that way.

I would agree that the Pats beating St Louis was pretty big but the after game hype was not nearly what it has been over the last 15 hours. Remember that no team has ever been so dominant ina football year as have the Pats (obviously excluding the 72 Dolphins). we're talking about a team that has 3 rings over the last 5 years, broke almost every offensive record in the book this year, and of course went undefeated through 18 games. To say that most are wrong in their analogy of this being close to the biggest upset in Super Bown history, is again a pretty strong statement.

Hype isn't fact. The last five years don't mean much. The regular season doesn't mean much. What have you done for me lately? Again, can you HONESTLY look at the last month and say that the Pats were a decidedly better team than the Giants? I can't.

If the Rams defeat was as big as you claim, why hasnt it recieved large acclaim over the years?

Because 18-0 looks really sexy. But it's just a number.

Edit: Yes the Pats looked beatable toward the end of the season, but I think it has little to do with how big this win was. This was the first 18 game winner ever.

No denying that it's a huge WIN. But a huge win is different from a huge upset. Again, how big of an upset is it if so many people who analyze football (and are good enough at it to feed their families doing it) picked them to win? It wasn't a majority, but it was a significant number. Find me one person (who doesn't wear Pats boxers at night) who picked the Pats to beat the Rams.

Actually Superbowl XII had Co-MVP's, both defensive linemen. I have no problem with Eli being MVP, it would be a tough call to single out any one person on the Giants. The defense, the defense, the defense, Kawika Mitchell, Michael Strahan, Osi Umenyiora, Justin Tuck, and company, kept Brady on his back and rushing his rhythm. It was a collective effort, even the big rookie Jay Alford had a huge sack there at the end. However the game saving play had to be the Pass from Eli Manning while running for his life, throws a basic hail Mary to David Tyree and this kid goes up and makes that catch, clutching the ball against his head, back it a literal limbo move and hangs on to the ball. That was as great a catch as there ever was in the Super Bowl. Without that throw and catch the rest never happens, the Pats go 19-0 and Brady has four rings. So Eli Manning being MVP is not undeserving, however there were a field full of MVP's on the Giants, they did what no one said they could do. Congratulations to the entire Giants organization.

I wasn't trying to take anything away from Eli. He is the main reason I was pulling for the Giants and his play to Tyree and the pass to Boss (setting up the initial go-ahead TD) were sooo money and some of the best pressure plays I have ever seen. I was just pointing out that the Giants D-line and linebackers deserve any credit they are getting for the win...they are the reason Brady was never able to get into a groove throwing the ball and the NE offense never really "clicked". Interesting about the Co-MVPs but like you said, Tyree, Burress, Toomer, Manning, Boss, Ominyura, Strahan, Tuck, Alford, etc. all played their parts effectively. It was a team effort and Eli is the team leader.

Also, if that was Strahan's last game...congrats to a home town boy on a hall of fame NFL career!

I thought Justin Tuck was the game's MVP, but you can't really argue with Manning either. But they probably ought to just drop all pretenses and call the award "The Best Quarterback, Running Back or Wide Receiver On the Winning Team" award.

Maybe Peyton's next commercial will feature him in a cheerleader skirt. :P

Archived