Abandoned Buildings In Downtown

Jax

I get so sad when I see older buildings go. If you look closely at the Melrose building, I think this has alot of potential. Think BLVD place's lines, simplicity, modernity, etc. Renovate that building and put some cool lights on it, and it becomes a great condo tower or even offices (if they are needed).

I agree. It is definitely a "modern" building design from back in the 50's. Quite cool looking. Is the parking garage behind it part of the same building or is that a different land owner?

Is Herman Lloyd the same architect that desinged the Medical Towers building on Fannin in the Medical Center? The buildings look very similar and are from the same period.

Medical Towers was by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill.  Lloyd did also design the American Building downtown (which also uses the integral shading on the south facade).  

When was the Melrose building last occupied?

There are also a couple of telephone system switching buildings that are freaking huge and dead (from a human perspective), but they serve a purpose for the time being. I wonder though how long all that will be necessary to occupy space on land that could be increasing markedly in value with new technology taking over for land line telephones. 

The reuse of a Sakowitz department store as a parking garage is very strange--it still looks cool on the outside (must have been built incredibly strong), and while some pictures still have the original tile intact, it doesn't seem to look nearly as depressing as say, that theater in Detroit that became a parking garage.

The reuse of a Sakowitz department store as a parking garage is very strange--it still looks cool on the outside (must have been built incredibly strong), and while some pictures still have the original tile intact, it doesn't seem to look nearly as depressing as say, that theater in Detroit that became a parking garage.

I saw that Detroit pic. Very sad, indeed. The city is full of depressing visuals, in the form of abandonment. What a waste.

At least the Sakowitz bldg. is still standing.

• 1 month later...

DT can still surprise me - without anyone spending too much time. Name your top 3 abandonded spaces in DT and what you would do with it. No pie in the sky stuff - projects that could actually happen within the next 5 years.

Me first.

1. Melrose Building - 1121 Walker - Condos.

2. 1114 Texas Ave - Home2Suites/Hilton and or condos

3. Days Inn - demolished and park in it's place

800 Bell - Condos. Would renovate the roof to allow more sunlight in for a pool where the petroleum club was.

Days Inn/Heaven on Earth - Ed Wulfe threw out a rendering a few years ago that looked really snazzy with a fresh glass curtain and modern design.

Great Southwest Building - 5 Star Boutique Hotel, new paint job on the green roof, and restore it to glory.

• The title was changed to Abandonment In Houston
  • The title was changed to Abandoned Buildings In Downtown

Archived