Good News From Iraq

tomv

Interesting and very positive article about the opening of a new health care center west of Baghdad. The US Army is helping to build 142 of them, and they're supposedly 95% complete. This one looks really nice and is well staffed.

Yeah, I know it's propoganda, but so what. I'm really proud of our military. And God bless the Iraquis who are standing up and putting their lives on the line for their country and their freedom also.

http://www.blackanthem.com/News/health/Rur...nter12109.shtml

There's actually a TON of good things happening in Iraq these days. The less you see Iraq in the TV news, the more assured you can be that things are turning around. Even the national network news can go a day or two without mentioning Iraq these days.

I'm not saying that the national networks are biased and intentionally only report when bad things happen -- it's just the mechanics of the situation. It used to be that several hours of blood and guts and bombing video would come out of Iraq each day. Now -- not so much. Maybe a couple of minutes every couple of days.

There was an interesting piece available from one of the independents last week (WTN or Reuters or one of the German outfits) that was about the long lines of buses filled with Iraqis in Syria returning to Baghdad. There are several convoys of them making the trip each day as people return home to rebuild their cities.

It really is great to finally be hearing good news out of Iraq. I have been seeing on the news and reading online about people moving back to baghdad and how life is slowly getting back to normal in many areas. ABC had a story on just the other night showing buses of Iraqies leaving Syria and heading back to Iraq. I read an article today about how soccer is being played once again in one of the major stadiums in Baghdad. Stuff like this is great to hear. Hopefully this trend will continue. :)

• 2 months later...

Other related good news:

...this week the Times of London published remarkable excerpts from letters by two al Qaeda chieftains in Iraq that were seized late last year in a U.S. military raid.

"The Americans and the apostates launched their campaigns against us and we found ourselves in a circle not being able to move, organize or conduct our operations," wrote one terrorist "emir." The loss of Anbar Province, he added, had created "panic, fear and an unwillingness to fight," while the flow of foreign jihadis had dwindled as they lost faith that their "martyrdom" would yield results. In a second letter, another al Qaeda leader complains how his force shrank to fewer than 20 fighters from 600.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1202948798...ew_and_outlooks

OOOO!!

OOOO!!

More good news reported by the wsj

Given the clandestine nature of the war on terror, it's often hard to know how much progress we're making. But Tuesday's death in Damascus of Imad Mughniyeh looks like an unambiguous victory.

Before Osama bin Laden took the spotlight, Mughniyeh was probably the world's most wanted and elusive terrorist, a man with an FBI price tag of $5 million on his head. He masterminded some of Hezbollah's deadliest attacks in the 1980s and 1990s, including:

- The 241 U.S. Marines and 58 French soldiers who died in the 1983 truck bombings in Beirut along with 63 civilians, including 17 Americans, who died in the simultaneous bombing of the U.S. embassy there.

- Robert Stethem, the Navy diver whose beaten body was left on the tarmac during the 1985 hijacking of TWA Flight 847.

I guess I'll credit the lack of enthusiasm to a slow haif day :blink:

OOOO!!

OOOO!!

More good news reported by the wsj

Given the clandestine nature of the war on terror, it's often hard to know how much progress we're making. But Tuesday's death in Damascus of Imad Mughniyeh looks like an unambiguous victory.

Before Osama bin Laden took the spotlight, Mughniyeh was probably the world's most wanted and elusive terrorist, a man with an FBI price tag of $5 million on his head. He masterminded some of Hezbollah's deadliest attacks in the 1980s and 1990s, including:

- The 241 U.S. Marines and 58 French soldiers who died in the 1983 truck bombings in Beirut along with 63 civilians, including 17 Americans, who died in the simultaneous bombing of the U.S. embassy there.

- Robert Stethem, the Navy diver whose beaten body was left on the tarmac during the 1985 hijacking of TWA Flight 847.

I guess I'll credit the lack of enthusiasm to a slow haif day :blink:

You might credit the lack of response to 5 years of wasted lives and money for an unneeded invasion creating a war weary populace. Frankly, I no longer care what happens over there. After 5 years of being told how un-American I am for opposing the war and the trillion dollars being spent to fight it, I'll just let the patriotic Americans worry about it. The name calling of the neo-cons does not bother me. The accusations of being un-American do not faze me. The articles that are written go unread by me. In my world, this fiasco does not exist. Only the $9.5 Trillion national debt, exacerbated by Bush's folly, exists.

So go ahead and hang me in effigy, because I do not care.

PS - The killing in Damascus represents an effective means of combatting terrorism, and I applaud that. But, I have no interest in Bush's war, which made terrorism worse, not better.

• 6 months later...

I try to get the news as it is. I.E. watching BBC then NBC to get a middle ground. However, the best information I have gotten about the Iraq situation is from those that have been their. And things do look like they are improving enough, albeit slowly in some areas and faster in others. The health care centre being a good example.

As RedScare said, I did/do oppose the war, the wasted money (The Iraq government actually has 80 billion in excess money NOT from outside aid). etc. And being called un-American, that's a ridiculous accusation.

The military is fighting this war, not the United States; and I support our troops (my brother being one of them), but not our involvement in the invasion and the fiasco that followed.

What? How can this be? A timetable?! Or in Condi-speak "time horizons" ...

There is one moment in the Bush presidency, one defining moment, that he just blew it.

That was when the CIA director was in the Oval Office briefing Bush, laying out all the evidence to support an invasion...

Bush: "You mean, this is all you've got?" RIGHT THERE HE SHOULD HAVE STOPPED. That moment of doubt. You're about to invade a country, at the expense of USA blood and treasure, and you have questions about what is being presented to you to support that decision. But you did it anyway.

Archived