Liberal Dinks Welcome In The Woodlands

dave&kelley

Hi Dave & Kelley, welcome to Houston. Here are a couple of tips that may help you along.

First, don't ever, by any means, take the characters on this forum as representative of the people of Houston. Sometimes the posts are so idiotic and out of left field, it's a wonder that those members who are capable of intelligent conversation were not scared away years ago (actually, some were).

Secondly, as for the Houston Chronicle, there is a small, loud-voiced conservative fringe in town that hates the Houston Chronicle for its moderate liberal bias. You can hear them on such radio stations as AM 700 KSEV, AM 950 KPRC, and read their "alternative" publication at lonestartimes.com. That said, most Republicans in town don't even know they exist, subscribe to the Chronicle, and would shrug their shoulders if you asked them whether they thought the paper was biased. I am myself somewhat conservative, and don't like a few of the editors, but the paper as a whole has always been my first newspaper, and I would associate myself with it before I would the lonestartimes.com bunch.

Third... neighborhoods. I see that you want forest. Some areas of Houston are native pine forest, some are native hardwood, most are native prairie. The Woodlands is nice, but you can find forested neighborhoods closer in if you go to Timbergrove Manor, Candlelight Village (just north of the loop), or any of the neighborhoods on the West side of town along I-10 / Memorial Drive, although some of these are very expensive, being some of the city's more established enclaves. Next time you are in town, I would drive west from downtown along Memorial Drive and at least pass through the area - you may fall in love (it's also an easy and scenic commute to downtown).

As far as other places with trees, there is a scattering of neighborhoods about ten miles closer in to town from the Woodlands, in the Spring/Klein area (exit Cypresswood or Louetta from I-45). This area is more affordable, more diverse, more casual, and in many places just as beautiful as the Woodlands. It does have a problem with trees along the major roads being torn down for shopping centers, and traffic is a growing concern. I grew up here, and remember when it was all forested two-lane roads. You don't have the master planning of the Woodlands, but you have a lot of things you won't find in the Woodlands, like produce markets and plenty of family-owned restaurants. Also the schools are better.

Politics. I grew up in a Democrat household, and the area was almost entirely Republican. My family made great friendships with the neighbors and people at church, who knew we were Democrat, and I honestly don't think that we would have made any more or better friends if we were Republican. I got teased at school a few times for being Democrat, and had to grow a thick skin during the '88 and '92 elections, but it never affected any of my friendships or ability to make friends. If anything, the people we knew were usually more concerned about us, as far as stepping on our toes, than we were worried about them.

That said, I don't think you will find friendlier people in the suburbs of any major city than you will in Houston. When I attended school in Chicago I had a friend whose family was Jewish, and his grandmother, after twenty years, distinctly remembered spending time in Houston in the early 80's, and raved about how friendly and down-to-earth everyone had seemed. It's something I've come to appreciate myself after being away. Hope you like our town.

Thanks so much to all of you for your feedback, and your welcome. I really appreciate it. It makes me feel less apprehensive about moving to a strange new place.

One of you asked our price range and where we would be working. Our price range would be around $200-$235K. My husband would be working at the Houston Chronicle, and I would have to find a job yet, in the PR/graphic design area.

As goofy as it seems, trees are really important. Don't have to have a forest, just one big one somewhere in the yard. I'm a big gardener too, so I would like to have a decent size lot to work with. We live in the middle of our urban area in a 100 year old house with a decent-sized yard. I was hoping we'd find something like that in Houston, but it seems way out of our price range. Our current home has about 2,700 sqft and 4 bedrooms, and we only had to pay in the 200s.

As far as space, we were hoping to get at least 3 bedrooms. If that helps give you an idea about what we are looking for, and how much we can spend. If you have any other suggestions, I sure do appreciate them.

Thanks again for the welcome and suggestions.

H-Town man has spoken for me and has mentioned many areas that have trees. Would also recommend driving along Spring-Cypress and Cypresswood between 290 and 1-45. Lots of trees and many neighborhoods. Katy area and Sugarland would probably not work for you since they are mostly grassy although they have planted many trees that have matured in older sections. However, you could check out Sienna Plantation near Sugar Land on Highway 6. It is also wooded although you would find maple trees instead of pine. Of course, these are all suburbs.

Closer to the city, H-Town man has already suggested the area between I-10 and Memorial although it is expense. San Felipe that runs parallel to Memorial is also expensive. However, you could drive west on Briar Forest. The area between Briar Forest and Buffalo Bayou has a lot more trees and than the area between Briar Forest and Westheimer. On Briar Forest, you would find many established neighborhoods with many matured trees and they are a bit less expensive than those on Memorial.

Your third option is inner loop although, as has been suggested, Timbergrove Manor may be the only affordable option.

Finally, there are Spring Branch and Oak Forest areas although I don

Garden oaks is a great wooded enclave close in. There is a wide range of housing sizes, it's deed restricted, and close in without being too terribly outrageous. Prices are climbing in there though.

If you are interested in having close to 2500 - 3000 sf though, that would be a bit more of a challenge close in.

Secondly, as for the Houston Chronicle, there is a small, loud-voiced conservative fringe in town that hates the Houston Chronicle for its moderate liberal bias. You can hear them on such radio stations as AM 700 KSEV, AM 950 KPRC, and read their "alternative" publication at lonestartimes.com. That said, most Republicans in town don't even know they exist, subscribe to the Chronicle, and would shrug their shoulders if you asked them whether they thought the paper was biased. I am myself somewhat conservative, and don't like a few of the editors, but the paper as a whole has always been my first newspaper, and I would associate myself with it before I would the lonestartimes.com bunch.

Although I don't care much for the Houston Chronicle, it most certainly does not mean that I'm an ardent admirer of lonestartimes.com. UGH! Just because one voices an opinion of dissent against the only paper in town doesn't necessarily correlate that one is aligned with lonestartimes. I just WISH the Houston Chronicle were a better paper, I think Houston deserves it. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

02/14/2005

The Woodlands' future debated at forums

By: Burton Speakman and Brittanie Hoofard , Villager staff

Candidates vying for a two-year term on both The Woodlands Association and The Woodlands Community Association met last week to answer questions about the future of The Woodlands from their potential constituents at a series of forums.

The forums - one for the TWA on Feb. 1 and one for the WCA Feb. 2, were sponsored by The Community Associations of The Woodlands, The South Montgomery County Chamber of Commerce and the League of Women Voters of Montgomery County.

Despite the fact that both governing bodies are apolitical, the first round of questions at each forum was decidedly partisan, and reminded some in the audience of a 1950s public hearing led by Joseph McCarthy, a Wisconsin senator who unscrupulously accused many citizens of being Communists.

Instead of the question: "Are you now or have you ever been a member of the Communist party?" however, the question was: "Are you a member of the Republican Leadership Council?"

In the week before the debates a reader sent a letter, as part of an e-mail campaign, to The Villager, expressing concern that the RLC was trying to overrun the associations by stacking the ballots with its members. The e-mail stated that the RLC takes advantage of the low voter turnout at these elections to further their platform, and that residents of The Woodlands have a right to know the political leanings of those who represent the community.

At each forum, audience members were allowed to submit questions on index cards that were then screened for relevance and read aloud by members of a two-person questioning panel.

The question regarding the RLC affiliation was asked by enough members of the audience at the TWA forum that it became the first order of business, a trend that would continue the next evening.

"There were a number of questions like this, so I thought I'd get this question out of the way right away," said Sandy Ashby, past president of the League of Women Voters, who served on the panel.

The question specifically asked: "Are you a member of the Republican Leadership Council? Have you ever been? Why or why not?"

All three candidates who are vying for the TWA position of College Park Class A Director then had a chance to answer. While candidate Stanley Fowler simply stated "No," both Ted Stanley and Eric Krug admitted to being members of the Republican Party, but not members of the RLC. A fourth candidate, U.R. Weathers, was not at the Tuesday-night forum.

The question was inspired by members of the audience at both forums who are upset about the protests regarding the selection of books in county libraries according to Tom Campbell, incumbent for the WCA At-Large Position 5.

Campbell, who makes no secret of his affiliation with the Republican Party, said he was not a member of the RLC, but he would not mind an endorsement from the ultra-conservative group.

"I want to get all the endorsements that I can," he said.

The RLC is sort of a "lighting rod" for some people, he said, adding that the RLC question was asked at the forums last year as well.

He said the WCA cannot do a lot of things that could be considered partisan.

"We pick up trash, pay for law enforcement and fire and that's about it," he said.

Stephen Chauvin, a candidate for WCA Position 12, Indian Springs, said the RLC is really a one-man show: Jim Jenkins.

"I agree with some of the things they do," he said, referring to the RLC. "I have also attended some of their forums. But sometimes Mr. Jenkins is a little overzealous."

Chauvin said he is just a fiscal conservative who ran for the WCA board of directors so he could make a difference and be involved in the budget.

"The questions were brought on by some residents who have gotten cross with Jim," he said.

The incumbent for Position 12, Byron Pettingill, said he has been getting calls about his political affiliation from people who are against the RLC.

He said the WCA should remain a nonpartisan organization that provides services in The Woodlands, not one that takes stances on issues.

"There's a place to have a political philosophy, but I'm not sure that it's the WCA," Pettingill said.

The future of The Woodlands, particularly its governance, was another hot topic at both forums.

None of the candidates openly favored annexation of the community by the city of Houston.

"I envision us just being a bigger and better version of what we are today," said Deborah Sargeant, WCA treasurer and incumbent for WCA Position 9, Grogan's Mill.

Her opponent, Robert Tyson, said he doesn't believe the WCA should serve as a governing body for The Woodlands.

"The governing body should either be the city of Houston or an incorporated city (of The Woodlands)."

Campbell said he trusts The Woodlands Joint Ad Hoc Governance Committee will make the best decision for the community, but he will fight annexation if it comes to it.

Challenger for WCA At-Large Position 5, Roy Hughes, said he wants to see The Woodlands stay as it is. Chauvin agreed.

"I am aware of the high cost of incorporation, but I see us going that way over the next couple of years if that keeps us from being annexed," Chauvin said.

Pettingill said the current governance committee is working to determine what the best options are for The Woodlands.

"I think the way we're going about it is the way to do it," he said. "We've put some of The Woodlands' smartest in charge of the governance process."

At the TWA forum, the three candidates agreed that the best option for The Woodlands would likely be incorporation, although Krug said more research needs to be done.

"I just can't see how Houston would let this area go," he said.

Another hot issue at the TWA forum, which was addressed both in candidates' opening remarks and in audience-submitted questions, was the issue of a "quiet zone" in Harper's Landing, where trains approaching an intersection would be restricted from blowing their horns.

All three candidates said that the issue would be best resolved with the safest option, whatever that may be. But Ted Stanley said he's not sure a quiet zone would make the crossing safer.

"I'm not opposed to a quiet zone, but I'm not in favor of the current safety levels in the proposal," he said.

Voting for the community association's elections is Feb. 19 from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. For a list of polling locations, call (281) 210-3800. For polling locations and all other community information, visit http://www.thewoodlandsassociations.org.

I compare this to the racial statements, because these are the very things racists have commonly used to excuse their racism (i.e., racial bigotry). So much so that the phrase "I'm not prejudiced, I have black friends" became something of a cliche and a sad joke.

Apples to Oranges.......

When you make a CHOICE, it's fair game, as in you choose to be Republican and I choose to laugh at you and not want to live near you; feel free to throw any insults my way when it comes to me and my kooky liberal ideas. On the other hand, you and I don't choose our parents. THAT's where it becomes off-limits and offensive.

Another person said it better actually, there are a LOT more conservatives than liberals around here, but we all get along quite nicely in person. If you really want to make friends both liberal and conservative, fly a Texas flag proudly wherever you end up.

Thanks a lot to H-town and the other folks who suggested other specific neighborhoods closer in town that we could afford, and would like. Having this inside info REALLY helps when trying to sift through the thousands of neighborhoods that you get online house searches. Having this info I am going to do some more searches for houses in the areas you suggested. I really appreciate all the help and suggestions, and may be asking more questions as I learn more about the different areas.

Thanks,

Kelley

Try Lakes of Parkway off of Briar Forset, before Eldridge, and after Highway 6. Also, Long Meadow Farms, or Canyon Gate at the Brazos. Riverstone in Missouri City is good, as well. Fairfield out in 290 is good, and Stone Gate. Kingwood is another possibility, because they have a lot of matured trees, like the Woodlands.

Danax:

Actually, your neighborhood sounds great. I'm going to check it out on the HAR site now. If you have any suggestions of similar neighborhoods with trees and old houses that we could afford, let me know.

Thanks,

K

Its ghetto over there in Pecan Park....but Idylwood is very nice. Houston Country Club Place is not bad, Simms Woods is good too....although trees are hit or miss in HCCP and SW.

Somebody suggested Candlelight Village....I think that may be more what you're looking for. Trees, well kept homes, not too far out, and most of the homes are pretty big.

Garden Oaks was also mentioned, but for the most part, the houses are tiny, and the prices are huge, and from reading the Garden Oaks mailing list, it appears to be chock full of snobby republicans. Oak Forest has the same small houses, but the prices aren't so absurd, and the east end of it is nicely wooded.

Lindale Park is nice, very affordable, pretty close, but some houses have trees, others don't.

Danax:

Actually, your neighborhood sounds great. I'm going to check it out on the HAR site now. If you have any suggestions of similar neighborhoods with trees and old houses that we could afford, let me know.

Thanks,

K

My specific neighborhood is Pecan Park (ppca.50megs.com).The houses are from the 1930s and 40s, are 1100-1600 sq ft and under 100K. It might be too small for what you're used to. It's a nice, fairly quiet neighborhood, close to the heart of the city and full of mature pecan trees. There once were trees lining the streets here but, unfortunately, they have been, and still are, being whacked and cut down and, especially now with the foliage gone, they look pretty sad.

As for the East End in general, I think it's the current alternative area, meaning it's still cheap and underated but inside the loop. There's a lot of old homes out here but most of them are modest in size. If you're looking for 2500 sq ft of more, I would recommend Eastwood as a first stop. You might find a house that size in Idylwood too, which is along the Brays Bayou near Wayside and Lawndale. Also, Forest Hill (Mapquest to 2000 Alta Vista) is cool. A small hill with wide streets and a nice location. The homes are nothing fancy, except for a handfull. Check out the East End category on this forum for more details.

If you are the real adventurous types, you could check out the area off of Main St. just north of DT. There's still a cluster of Victorians there and there are plans for MetroRail and some other developments but it's a real dump right now.

Aslo, there are some so-called "Mod" houses, 1950-65, in some neighborhoods not too far out that are getting some great people moving in. rps324 or Texasdago are the resident experts on that.

I've got to go but let me know if you have any other questions about the East End.

I don't know much about price range of the Montrose/Hyde Park area. But it's an older, more mature neighborhood with an eclectic mix of new and old. By the way, I'm pretty damn conservative and wouldn't want to be surrounded by liberals. Dave and Kelly, I can't blame you for wanting to find like minded people. It's what we all look for when we make a big move like the one your about to make. I do blame you for being liberal, however.

Like-mindedness wasn't key. I can understand if someone wants to avoid a place as overbearing as Montgomery county, where elected officials take it upon themselves to arbitrate what everyone should be exposed to. There are places in Houston that are more moderate. Just avoid the far out exurbs.

Another vote for Timbergrove Manor. I lived there for many years in a house that my grandfather built in 1952. I sold it because I am moving to Bastrop, TX, otherwise I would still be there.

I'd also like to add my apologies for the unkind welcome y'all received. It really doesn't matter what your politics are as we all here know politics are just a big joke anyways.

Its ghetto over there in Pecan Park....

sigh....I can't arque with you on that. She really was referring to the East End as "my neighborhood" though. It's very frustrating trying to get any improvements going where I live. Hardly anyone seems to care. I see that potential but...alas, :(

A few of us came up with a proposal for designing a master plan to turn the neighborhood into sort of an Art Deco village, taking advantage of the era in which the homes were built, painting some of the existing buildings a certain way etc. and just generally cleaning up the area. Other than a couple of people, the idea got no interest and some resented the idea of being told what to do. Thanks to the City at least for imposing $500 fines for heavy trash violators or we'd really look like we were targets of a convoy of litter bombers.

Sometimes I use this forum to vent that frustration.

sigh....I can't arque with you on that. She really was referring to the East End as "my neighborhood" though. It's very frustrating trying to get any improvements going where I live. Hardly anyone seems to care. I see that potential but...alas,  :(

A few of us came up with a proposal for designing a master plan to turn the neighborhood into sort of an Art Deco village, taking advantage of the era in which the homes were built, painting some of the existing buildings a certain way etc. and just generally cleaning up the area. Other than a couple of people, the idea got no interest and some resented the idea of being told what to do. Thanks to the City at least for imposing $500 fines for heavy trash violators or we'd really look like we were targets of a convoy of litter bombers.

Sometimes I use this forum to vent that frustration.

I remember you used to be a big advocate for Pecan Park. What happened? It seems that some things went south recently. Does Pecan Park has deed restrictions? If not, may be thats the only way to enforce positive changes in that neighborhood.

I remember you used to be a big advocate for Pecan Park. What happened? It seems that some things went south recently. Does Pecan Park has deed restrictions? If not, may be thats the only way to enforce positive changes in that neighborhood.

Nah, it's actually improved a bit lately, I just get bouts of reality from time to time. At the civic club meeting last night our resident HPD officer said they discovered a whorehouse operated by Central Americans over behind one of the "8-liner" casinos. And no, we don't have deed restrictions anymore. They were allowed to lapse in the 60s and the old-timers here attest to the general decline since then. We have some new ones drawn up and are getting ready to walk the neighborhood to try to get the necessary percentage. We may have quite a challenge getting enough signatures.

I know the area will only improve with time, if due to nothing else than the trickle-down theory of gentrification. Right now though, some of the ideas that some of us (us meaning a small group that are active, the majority being Americans born of Hispanic heritage) have about as much chance of getting some lift as a 500 ton pupusa formed into the shape of the Spruce Goose.