Chris Baker Talk Show

jmancuso

Now Baker has shown up on KSEV. That really where he belongs . Another right-wing DJ prick .

It's been awhile since I listened to local radio, but I don't think he's right wing, he always portrayed himself as a conservative independent, but I agree with the rest of your statement.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I've noticed about Baker, Berry, and even Limbaugh is they seem to have trouble getting to the point. They have more parenthetical thougths than I do and that's a lot. I don't think I've heard anyone interrupt his own self as badly as Rush. Often they seem to be on the verge of making a really interesting observation but I just loose patience waiting to hear it. I usually listen to broadcast radio while driving my car.

I would prefer to listen to music (good luck with that) but I'll listen to whatever I believe will have a traffic report soonest. My car has a weather band on the radio. That's cool but not really timely. Do I really care when the high tide will be at Port O'Connor when I am in the middle of afternoon traffic? It would be much better to have a band which gave continuous traffic updates. Then I could just switch over to it every so often and listen to my CD the rest of the time. Yeah, I'm a Luddite - no MP3 or iPod. I did drive a MINI Cooper for about 10 months in 2009 that had navigation which would also point out traffic accidents but attending to that really isn't conducive to good driving. Also, the MINI just wasn't the right car for me. The car, especially the ride, was too "busy."

Back to the subject: Chris Baker, and Michael Berry to a lesser extent, are simply baiting the callers. Their shows after all are primarily for entertainment and they certainly want to string the listener along until at least the next commercial break.

Who among the current radio talk show hosts is best I can't say but, for those of us old enough to remember, I doubt anyone would disagree that Alvin Van Black could (and would) argue with any of his callers even when they agreed with him wholeheartedly. He was a master at convoluting the things his callers said.

I can't stand to listen to any political talk show host. It's their job to be controversial so any of them are going to say ridiculous things. I'll stick to sports talk shows when I tune to local radio and thank god for satellite radio Totally worth the $7 a month.

I can't stand to listen to any political talk show host. It's their job to be controversial so any of them are going to say ridiculous things. I'll stick to sports talk shows when I tune to local radio and thank god for satellite radio Totally worth the $7 a month.

My wife's car has satellite radio. The subscription cost is worth every cent. The satellite feed may have talk shows (I know it has Howard Stern for pity's sake) but we keep the radio tuned to music we like. We both enjoy, among other types, classical music.

It still strikes me as strange that a city the size of Houston doesn't have a "full time" classical station - public or commercial. We used to have one of each. Don't tell me KUHF is classical. It does play classical music when it plays music but when is that? It's not when I am commuting in my car. In Hell there are only two radio stations. One plays only political talk shows and the other only NPR. If you are deaf Satan restores your hearing. :blink:

Yeah, but I'd trade him for that trash bag Joe Pags any day of the week.

Thank you Sirius and the wide variety of choice. The main argument for local Houston radio is "<insert blowhard talk show host> ain't as bad as <insert another blowhard talk show host>". The only time I now use local radio is when I'm going through one of the satellite radio dead zones.

It still strikes me as strange that a city the size of Houston doesn't have a "full time" classical station - public or commercial.

More that just strange, it's a little embarrassing, isn't it? I really find it hard to believe that station owners don't see the gap here.

More that just strange, it's a little embarrassing, isn't it? I really find it hard to believe that station owners don't see the gap here.

Probably what makes classical music broadcasting a "no go" in this city is exactly what we've turned to as alternatives: satellite radio, CDs, and Ipods. But as far as the "chicken and the egg" argument go we definitely lost our free classical music (or had it greatly diminished in the case of KUHF) before those other media came into widespread use.

Classical music pieces tend to be of longer duration than than most other genres. Now, if I'm listening in my car to a suite in several movements and I arrive at my destination before the piece ends I can take up again where I left off (except with satellite of course). By the way, could music on demand via satellite be far off? Is it already here and I'm just too "not with it" to know that?

Sub, I have always liked seeing your Shakespeare quote at the bottom of your entries.

Probably what makes classical music broadcasting a "no go" in this city is exactly what we've turned to as alternatives: satellite radio, CDs, and Ipods. But as far as the "chicken and the egg" argument go we definitely lost our free classical music (or had it greatly diminished in the case of KUHF) before those other media came into widespread use.

Classical music pieces tend to be of longer duration than than most other genres. Now, if I'm listening in my car to a suite in several movements and I arrive at my destination before the piece ends I can take up again where I left off (except with satellite of course). By the way, could music on demand via satellite be far off? Is it already here and I'm just too "not with it" to know that?

Sub, I have always liked seeing your Shakespeare quote at the bottom of your entries.

And yet, still, somehow commercial radio was able to support classical music stations for decades. Of course we can always pay for satellite radio, but I still think it's unfortunate that so much variety - not just classical music but various unique formats eg KQUE - has been lost from American commercial broadcasting.

And yet, still, somehow commercial radio was able to support classical music stations for decades. Of course we can always pay for satellite radio, but I still think it's unfortunate that so much variety - not just classical music but various unique formats eg KQUE - has been lost from American commercial broadcasting.

Sub,

We should get together over drinks someday and lament this pathetic situation further. :) Aside from any good classical station, whatever happened to KLOL. Damn, how I miss that one. I went on-line a few months ago trying to find an old K-101 bumper sticker I could buy for my current auto. No luck.

Many people my age know they'll have to "retire" someday but still hold down part-time jobs to make ends meet. One of my friends dreams of being the guy who sits in the golf cart at the Walmart parking lot. Ha Ha! I'm thinking I would be willing to spin REAL LPs of classical, big band, and/or REAL rock at a low-powered radio station for minimum wage and a dozen Shipley do-nuts each day. Hell, I'll even take requests via text messages or Twitter. On second thought I won't do Twitter.

Spec.

Chris Baker is a fair weather conservative, ie, he was middle of the road until someone told him that people to the left of that leftist Dubya Boosh don't make money in radio.

He's also not even in Houston, he's based in Minnesota, does his 'local' show via an ISDN line (same with Joe Pags- he's from San Antonio)

The 950 also dropped Fred Thompson at 10pm, which was an alternative to replays of Coast to Coast on 740.

My wife's car has satellite radio. The subscription cost is worth every cent. The satellite feed may have talk shows (I know it has Howard Stern for pity's sake) but we keep the radio tuned to music we like. We both enjoy, among other types, classical music.

It still strikes me as strange that a city the size of Houston doesn't have a "full time" classical station - public or commercial. We used to have one of each. Don't tell me KUHF is classical. It does play classical music when it plays music but when is that? It's not when I am commuting in my car.

UH bought KPFT and KPFT is going to be all classical and KUHF will be all NPR.

Chris Baker is a fair weather conservative, ie, he was middle of the road until someone told him that people to the left of that leftist Dubya Boosh don't make money in radio.

He's also not even in Houston, he's based in Minnesota, does his 'local' show via an ISDN line (same with Joe Pags- he's from San Antonio)

The 950 also dropped Fred Thompson at 10pm, which was an alternative to replays of Coast to Coast on 740.

Ambien sales in Houston will probably spike.

I think you mean KTRU

When will this happen - the all classical format I mean? I used to be a member of KUHF but am not now.

Sirius also has a blue grass channel. How neat is that?

Fringe, where did you get the "running radio" image? I want one for my rear window even though my car is a 2007 year model and KLOL has been gone for a decade. Wasn't there a Cannabis leaf in the middle of the "O" at one time?

When will this happen - the all classical format I mean? I used to be a member of KUHF but am not now.

Sirius also has a blue grass channel. How neat is that?

Fringe, where did you get the "running radio" image? I want one for my rear window even though my car is a 2007 year model and KLOL has been gone for a decade. Wasn't there a Cannabis leaf in the middle of the "O" at one time?

ah...

the blue grass channel.

The SO looks at me funny every time she hops in the car and it pops up. She immediately asks if we're moving into a trailer soon.

ah...

the blue grass channel.

The SO looks at me funny every time she hops in the car and it pops up. She immediately asks if we're moving into a trailer soon.

Gladly if it was in the hills of Kentucky, Tennessee, or West Virginia so I'd have a place to hide my 'still. ;) There's a strain of blue grass in C&W, R&B, and, by extension, Rock & Roll. I guess one could say blue grass is the "grand pappy" of most popular music today. Damn, I do like to listen to a well played fiddle. Well, there's Zydeco too!

Gladly if it was in the hills of Kentucky, Tennessee, or West Virginia so I'd have a place to hide my 'still. ;) There's a strain of blue grass in C&W, R&B, and, by extension, Rock & Roll. I guess one could say blue grass is the "grand pappy" of most popular music today. Damn, I do like to listen to a well played fiddle. Well, there's Zydeco too!

Not meaning to derail this this thread (Like we rarely do here on HAIF), but i always enjoyed it. It always gave me a laugh when listening to the lyrics, and if you don't smile after listening to it for a few minutes, you need to go back to or join, Al Qaeda.

Not meaning to derail this this thread (Like we rarely do here on HAIF), but i always enjoyed it. It always gave me a laugh when listening to the lyrics, and if you don't smile after listening to it for a few minutes, you need to go back to or join, Al Qaeda.

So, to get things back on track, how about if these radio talk shows interspersed their ranting with some good music? Michael Berry starts his 5:00pm show on KTRH with a tune. So did Johnny Carson but there the similarity ends.

The only ones I still have is the one I posted earlier and this one:

Thanks, Fringe. Those are too cool, especially the KAUM stickers. I do remember those as well. The K-101 sticker I was refering to (get it - the way I misspelled referring?) is the 14th one down between the K-101 sticker with the running radio and the "I [heart] KRBE" sticker (which I did not, heart KRBE that is). Now how do I get one of those for my rear window?

• The title was changed to Chris Baker Talk Show

Archived